Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Mac vs PC

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  elmer 
#1 ·
A client came over yesterday and was having difficulty with some logo files that I created in Photoshop for him.

He had a brand new laptop with XP on it. I am not 100% sure what it was - maybe a Dell - they all look the same.

It was an amazing computer however - fast and elegant - but compared to even the old beasts I have (Beige with a G4 card and a G3 Powerbook) his machine felt clumsy. It felt boxy and just would not be the type of tool I would want to work on day in and day out. Also the inability of Office (Word and Powerpoint) on the PC platform to be as friendly (If that isn't an oxymoron) on my Macs. Files convert very easy on the Mac platform. The PS saved files in Photoshop did not read. We had to jump through hoops to get the PC docs to handle the graphics. Also the interface for the PC office suite are just not right. From a User Experience standpoint the controls are not as elegant as on the Mac versions. And I believe it comes from the PC choice of where stuff resides. Just not right.

When will people stop being sheep?

#27 ·
Another reason why IT hates Mac might be this:
If you have standards based on Windows, there are relatively few users that need an exception granted to use a Mac. It seems at least reasonable that there would be many more exceptions granted allowing people to use PCs if Mac was the corporate standard. Reasons for granting such exceptions would be:
- interfacing with a customer that makes PCs
- Obscure proprietary software needed that has no Mac version
- In-house software which cannot be ported because the developers have left the company
- Large departmental investment in licenses for software that can be run on any Windows version but not on Mac. No budget for upgrades, never mind cross-grades.
These examples also highlight the inertia in the system.
The number of hardware purchase exceptions is probably one of the negative measures of the IT department's performance and/or security rating.

One more reason:
People like having multiple suppliers. eg. Apple has IBM and Motorola. You can always threaten to drop one supplier if the other one provides almost the same product. Since there are no Apple clones anymore, if you go with Apple you are very dependent on them. If you go with DELL you can always switch to IBM if they don't give you the prices you want. You don't even have to threaten to drop them altogether, just threaten to reduce their share of your business.

[ February 27, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: elmer ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.