Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow ehmacians!
As you may have already heard, mac users united together to help catch a theif/con artist on eBay, and I come to you today for the same purpose.
One of my clients performed a lease at my store, no big deal, but now, his first lease payment has bounced and he cannot be contacted, his Cell phone has been disconnected, same with his home phone (Anybody work at a phone company??).
His name is Maher Ezzeddine and he purchased the following from me.
PB G4 1GHz
512MB Xtra RAM
Macally Optimouse
Apple 17" Studio Display (Flat)
and Apple DVI to ADC adaptor.

Now while this does not hurt me or my company at all, the leasing company will take the hit for it, we are VERY close with our leasing agent (Who owns the company) and I would be very gratefull if I would be able to help her out with this.

If anybody out there happens to know this guy, or can help provide any information PLEASE let me know (And call your local police dept.).
you can send me an email via the link or send me a PM and I can provide a phone number to contact the Leasing company.

I would like to thank you guys in advance for any help that you may me able to provide!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Thats too bad. I would imagine that fraud happens on a larger scale during the holliday season. Hopefully you get the bugger and they stick him in with Buba.

The story about the guy on ebay was amazing but it took him a lot of time effort and determination. You can do what ever you want if your willing to work hard for it.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is a very bad thing that happened, and I hope we do catch him, and I am doing everything I can to help out in the matter.
What a thing to happen at Xmas :rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Take a look at some of the online auction sites and for sale listings. It might show up there. There's a brand new PB G4 with the same specs. that just came up on ebay. Probably a legitimate sale, but you could always as some questions.

Good luck catching the [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there,

Is this the guy?

Ezzeddine, Maher
2360 W Dundas St W
Toronto, ON M6P 4B2
416-537-6627

If it is, I don't mind driving past if I can get a bit more background data ... just how BIG is this guy? Does he have any deep-seated fears/pet peeves (eg.louisville sluggers, spiders, flat tires :)?

Seriously, I will drive past and even knock on the door - he's in a slightly sleeeeezy area of town ... let me know.

regards, Dennis

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Unfortunately this is not likely a police matter as the leasing company will have done due diligence and would have to prove intentional fraud (hard to do ). :rolleyes:
Leave to the leasing company they have their resources but keeping an eye out is being a good citizen.
Despite my bad experince with local cops here a Toronto cop specializing in this saved a deal for me.
A guy who claimed to be a doctor had us deliver a powerbook to his house, gave us a cheque, Dr.so and so, same address as the delivery :eek:
Now that's feel kind of safe eh.
NOT - a day later a dectitive calls us - "did you sell a powerbook to.........invoice number........". Yes why.?
"Well we watch the pawn shops and picked up this guy.........."
They knew the guy from previous exploits......comment from the cop laughing "so that's what he called himself this time.

Got my Powerbook back.
And you know this timeof year is the time.....both serious frauds we got stung with happened in December :rolleyes:
I mean it's easy our volume was very high this week and procedures get sloppy.
Anyway - good luck MacDaddy - nice of you to help out the leasing company.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
While we are out looking for "bad guys" here is the top guy in Macdoc's Most Wanted list.

A guy name Dave Runchey ripped me off for a Cube after we really went out of our way to make it possible for him to buy it.
Left us with a bunch of worthless cheques and a flaky Blue & White that we ended up having to change the motherboard on to sell it.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Possibly Dave Anderson is an alternative name

Info on the cheques is
Camille K Ling
David Runchey
206-88 Grandview Way
North York Ont M2N 6V6

I'll post a $100 reward if info provided leads to the recovery of the Cube or the money getting paid off.

The bank says they closed the account - there is another account but the bank won't give out any info. Any help appreciated and paid for :cool:
We've dropped by but of course it's a tight apartment building and staff have better things to do thtn chase deadbeats. :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
whoa... Can we be subpoena'd for posting in this thread? The G4 jacking must suck... and the flat screen too. Whoa. That's when cats must have wished that they had PCs. Do we want to start posting private info here??

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Did this guy's credit rating check out? Don't they check that when leasing equipment? Regardless, since you have a name and address, I would get a collection agency involved at this point.

I don't advise knocking on his door - who knows what this guy is willing to do.

Good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I downloaded PC Phone Home. Never installed it though. I also have my computers insured.

A few years back I was burned on a freelance design job. I never got my money out of the deadbeat since he was in debt to an endless number of people and owned nothing, but the collection agency was really helpful. Every year they seem to call or write to let me know he's still broke and can't pay. I guess they're still keeping tabs on him. Send me an email if you want the telephone number of the collection agency.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Macdoc, LD has just made it damn near impossible for a customer to pay with a cheque just because of all the attempted fraud (and the stuff that they got away with too).

What bank do you use, do they not have an Auth number you can call?

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!
I will give the addy to the leasing company for them to check out!

All his info checked out for the lease, so I do not know if he was using somebody elses information, or if he was using his own info.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Posterboy because of the nature of MacDoc's client oriented business style there is a lot of detail exchanged in the qualification process and many many newcomers are through existing clients as we do little formal advertising..finding controlling the size of the business a problem. Referrals are unlikely to be fraudulent and we have a 17 year depth of ongoing clients to draw on for business.
This means it's much more of an effort - the person has to put up a pretty effective and knowledgeable front to get us to the point where a sale takes place.
Interestingly the two or three fraud situations were people "just getting into Macs". As mentioned before in other threads, the established Mac community seems in general an honest bunch who appreciate value received. For many of these we are providing or supporting the tools they use to earn a living and it's their own hard earned money so they are conscientious about the purchase.
Our type of transaction involves the client putting trust in our advice and judgement...our purchase qualification is detailed and thorough. and if we are wrong could impact them very negatively ..... the least we can do is shown some confidence in their payment method.

In all but a few isolated instances over the years our confidence has proven correct.
The headache is when you are targetted by a pro then often there is little good defence as they are GOOD at this.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Interestingly, macdoc....I sent a SCSI ZIP drive to Dave Runchey and never got paid for it! It wasn't worth anything really, and I had no use for it, so I never pursued the matter. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
macdoc:
From time to time, I would find my business partner at the front phone first thing in the morning, with a handful of what he called "not so funny" cheques and a gleam in his eye. He would smile and say;
"Never waste a bad mood".

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Gordguide -perfect description of the sort of low growl that hovers in the back of the throat. :mad: ..we've got our wall of shame - cheques and invoices pinned up that need chasing, couple hundred here or there that get harangued for payment from time to time or I spend a bit of time tracing them. We usually get it sorted out in the end and some have business setbacks that at least are mitigating circumstances.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
MacDoc...Dave Runchey found me through ehMac (obviously)....if you find him then let me know. He owes me a small amount of cash and a big apology for being a total weenie. Look me up if you find him

I have my own ways of dealing with deadbeats and crooks. None of them are pleasant, trust me. I have friends in low places all across this land. They love to take care of this sort of thing.

Say...here's a thought....

Perhaps we should have a "wall of shame" here at ehMac! A list that would let everyone know who NOT to deal with! A list that all of us would go to great pains to stay OFF of!

What do all of you think? Is this a good idea? Comments, anyone?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.