Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking the plunge and replacing my main work machine with a Powerbook, I am curious as to what the developers and other techie types out there use as a text editor.

While this is a highly subjective item, I'd like to hear your opinions. Try to list an editor that works both in 9.x and X... Or two, if you use one that with X-only.

I'm quite used to UltraEdit on win32. Back when I was using a Mac as my work machine (1997 or so), BBEdit was the King of the Castle.

What's the situation now?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
BBedit is still very widely used, but TextEdit is also found to be very useful!

But personally whenever I can I use Hydra
Its the best

·
Registered
141 Posts
For text editing, BBEdit is still king in my books. After trying out Hydra for a bit, I'm really impressed with it, but it lacks BBEdit's bulk (ie multi-file) find and replace feature, which I love.

BBEdit, while pricier then Hydra, is also both OS9 and OSX compatible, while I think Hyrda is OSX only...

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
17,990 Posts
BBEdit. A longstanding favourite of all hand-coders out there, its HTML palette makes life easy. Plus, it opens damn near everything (sans formatting, but the meat is still there).

On any given moment, there are three apps open on my laptop: BBEdit, Eudora and Safari. Mainstays of my daily production.

:cool:
M

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is the link for Hydra, it's freeware BTW.

Definately check it out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very kindly for all the suggestions.

jo24, I'm pretty partial to vim and pico from a shell point of view. However, the whole point of having a machine with a GUI is to make full use of it, thus my original question.

I will check out an evaluation copy of BBEdit and Hydra as well. I really like the syntax highlighting and formatting of Hydra -- that's something I've grown to be used to with UltraEdit.

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One feature recently added to Hydra makes it very much nicer to web developers that write markup by hand: it uses the Safari 1.0 SDK to implement a 'preview' -- definitely a plus :D (still needs some refining though).

Cheers,
Podboy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts