Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I renewed so I could get a free copy of the Sims...
:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yah I just renewed as well.... I dont really think that it is worth it but I have kind of been between a rock and a hard place since Apple stopped providing the service for free.

I subscribed last year with the discount and now I'll give it one more year, but if I dont think that I have recieved $150 at least worth of software I will not subscribe next year.

I really think that they should have offered a discount on Panther as an inscentive.
If you noticed the $30 canadian coupon at the Apple Store is only good untill the 29th of this month, totally lame.

I got the SIMS too!

Parousia

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am not sure about this but I think I read somewhere that you can get the 20% referral fee even if you are referring yourself. (Read the fine print.)

I am renewing for sure. In less than a year, I got over 5000 hits so I know my friends and family appreciate my homepage. I also have a couple of Macs and I love iSync.

Cheers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got this too. If you read the terms and conditions for the $30 coupon, the Canadian Appple store is NOT listed. Does anyone know for sure if it IS good for Canadian purchases ?

Mike McHugh

·
Premium Member
17,981 Posts
Wonder what Apple is saying to Canadian .Mac subscribers? Have a look...

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 18:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Your .Mac Membership will Renew in 30 Days
X-Mailer: Apple .Mac Mailer
X-ref: auto day 30 email en

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for being a part of the first year of .Mac! For a limited time, we invite you to choose one of the great free gifts listed below to be sent to you after your .Mac membership renews on October 03, 2003 PDT

Claim Offer
http://www.mac.com/email/Production/renewals/redirects/en_day30ar_claimoffer.html

- A free copy of The Sims (TM) (Macintosh version), the best-selling game of all time for both the Mac and the PC (US$49.95 retail value)*

- A free copy of EverQuest (R) (Macintosh edition on DVD), the world's #1 online multiplayer adventure, including a free month of play time (US$49.95 retail value)*

- 30 CAD off your next purchase of more than 30 CAD at the online Apple Store*

It's been a great first year. .Mac lets you get the most out of the Internet with a no-compromises email account that's not tied to your Internet service provider, easy photo, movie, and file sharing, protection against viruses and data loss, and access from anywhere to your email and contacts.

And, you've made it possible for us to invest in many enhancements that make your connected life even easier:

Virex automatic e-updating for better virus protection,

.Mac Address Book syncing for online access to your current contact information,

iCal calendar publishing,

the recently announced Safari Bookmark syncing, and more.

Plus over US$150 worth of member benefits like the Mac OS X online training available exclusively to .Mac members. And there's still more to come in the year ahead.

Your .Mac membership will be automatically renewed on October 03, 2003 PDT. Your credit card will be charged and your thank you gift will be sent within 4 weeks after your anniversary date.

Please take a minute to review your account settings. If you want to change any of the details regarding your account, update your Renewal Settings first.

http://www.mac.com/email/Production/renewals/redirects/en_day30ar_renewalset.html

Member Name: XXXXXXXX
Credit Card No: XXXXXXXX
1 Year .Mac Membership: 159.00 CAD

Email Storage: 15MB 0.00 CAD
iDisk Storage: 100MB 0.00 CAD

Subtotal: 159.00 CAD

Estimated Tax: 27.03 CAD

Total: 186.03 CAD

Again, thank you. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with Internet services designed specifically for your Mac, and we look forward to another year with you as a member.

The .Mac Team

*Terms and conditions apply. Software shipped in promotional packaging.

http://www.mac.com/1/specialoffer_terms.html

Note: You are receiving these emails because your .Mac account will expire on October 03, 2003 PDT. Any personal information you have stored on .Mac will be lost.
Hmmm.... renew, or not to renew. That is the question!

M.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Yeah...$190 is a lot to ask really, especially if you're subscribing just for personal use rather than business...and the added $180 expense for Panther makes this as especially hard sell. As for me, I'm mulling it over....

·
Registered
656 Posts
just so you know, if you work for a reseller, and you take the apple learn and earn tests, you get .mac for free.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yes, but you can't use your L&E activation key for an account you paid for, according to the information page on L&E:
<blockquote>
http://salestraining.apple.com/learnandearn/PubContent/asset/541/index.html?rType=mrkt&charset=UTF-8

Accounts must be renewed in the manner they were obtained. You can renew your existing .Mac account using the free activation key ONLY if you originally obtained the account by taking the Learn & Earn/ASTO ".Mac Overview" course. According to the .Mac group, accounts that had originally been paid for, or earned in another manner, will not be eligible for renewal using the activation key received by taking the new ASTO course</blockquote>

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
"I got this too. If you read the terms and conditions for the $30 coupon, the Canadian Appple store is NOT listed. Does anyone know for sure if it IS good for Canadian purchases?"

I contacted .Mac billing and they confirmed it is indeed good for the Canadian Apple store. The person asked me where it says it's not, so I guess they are going to fix it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I've decided not to renew my .Mac subscription.. therefore.. I will be using my main email account from my ISP. Please, if you've contacted me in the past; change the contact email address to rscy at globetrotter dot net.

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. Too bad, but for someone that subscribed the first day, the renewal price is too freakin high...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts