Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think all retail .Mac boxes are the same in the sense that regardless of how much you paid for it, you can sign up or renew a .Mac account. At least this is what I have heard and read so far. (Please someone correct me if I am wrong.)

So as long as your sister buys .Mac and the computer at the same time, she will get her discount which I think is via mail-in rebate anyway.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
My understanding is that you have to buy the .Mac box when you take possession of the new computer, then you mail your rebate form to Apple.

Having said that, they won't let you renew an existing account at the promotional rate, so you'd have to open a new account and a new user name. When I bought my new iMac earlier this year I decided that that was too much hassle to save a few bucks, plus I like my user name as is....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, I'm due to renew my .mac subscription in January which I'm not looking forward too much. Also, my sister just put a deposit down on a new eMac which is due to arrive any day now. At the time of her ordering it, I wasn't aware of the promo where you get .mac for only $99 with a computer purchase. So, I have two questions:

1. Can you use this promo to renew an existing .mac subscription? (I read the fine print and it didn't say you couldn't, but maybe some of you know for sure.)

2. Is it too late for me anyway? Since she hasn't actually purchased the entire computer yet (from her campus store), I don't see why she can't just add a .mac box to her order, right?

I do know that you must purchase the computer and .mac retail box at the same time, so it's important I find out before she heads out to pick it up in the next few days.

As always, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks PGant,

I'm with you in thinking that it does seem to be too much of a hassle. You did clear things up for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts