Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whoa... just got this email advising me of the pending renewal, and what!?!?! :confused: just about $200 (might as well be).

Is it worth it??

H!

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Yah .. I got mine too. What a rip off to us Canadians!

The US version is $99US which should be $135.63CND at today's exchange rate + 7% GST (this service is not PST applicable) it should be no more than $145.12CND or OVER $40 too much.

Another kick in the head is that they are charging a 17% tax rate (excuse me if I am wrong - but where in Canada do we have a 17% tax rate)

Also, if I remember right ... when I first signed up to .mac that I just paid the US price and there wasn't a "special" price for us Canadians.

So this raises an issue, why can't I just renew by paying the US price?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Another kick in the head is that they are charging a 17% tax rate (excuse me if I am wrong - but where in Canada do we have a 17% tax rate)
Federal regulations permit percentages of up to 65%. Mmmmmmmmm...legalized loan sharking. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Bwhahahahah!

I posted to a whack of threads regarding the stupidity of the whole .Mac bait-and-switch. What a waste of money.

It was so much better when it was free. If people were abusing it so badly, why not tie the .Mac accounts to serial numbers? Why not have a tiered payment structure - .Mac and .Mac deluxe. Ah - but that would be far too easy. It's much better to stick it to your loyal customers.

.Mac was such a selling point for my friends back when it was free. Now they use it as ammo showing how greedy Apple is. I'm beginning to agree with them.

Anyways, this is nothing compared to the $hitstorm that will hit when Apple starts charging close to $300 for Panther. And where's our iTunes music store, damnit?

-SJ.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I don't we should complain about Panther and it costing $200 or what it'll cost us. What's Apple going to do, give it to us for $20 with a rebate program if you own Jaguar? I think Panther will be well worth the big bucks we'll all shell out for it eventually. Just be glad we're not paying $450.00 + for the latest Windows XP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The holdup on iTMS Canada has less to do with Apple than it does with the CRIA. Apparently this sort of thing requires structure and planning.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I am predicting .Mac service won't survive another year. It looks like Apple is doing their best to make sure it dies off quickly (too bad for the suckers that buy in).

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Peeved as I am that my .Mac renewal will cost me $187 and change (that's $159 plus tax), I was surprised today to find that Futureshop is selling .Mac for $149 (plus tax) (though oddly enough, it's listed as being "out of stock").

Oh, guess that must be what the "special gift for renewing" from Apple is for, eh?

M.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really only need my email. Although the 100 Megs of storage was cool, and come in handy - esp @ Kinko's. Outside of that, I was/am cool. I might as well go out to get my own space (cheaper) and email for that price... they absolutely need for that to be revisited. I know that Mac heads can spend money but really now!

They should offer a tiered pkg, @ the very least! :rolleyes:

H!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I was just poking around and if you buy .Mac in a box I think you can use that to renew your account, so if you can get it any cheaper than 159 you might as well go for it.

Also, I found out that if you work for a reseller and take the ASTO .Mac test and get a free activation you can now use that activation to renew an account (although you lose any of the add-ons you may have purchased such as extra email accounts or extra storage space).

--PB

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I don't mind the annual $180 or $200 for major MacOS X updates (like Panther) as Apple has put alot of hard work into those and you use the MacOS everyday, just like other software. You can also get a freebie MacOS update every 2-3 years by just upgrading your computer. I usually upgrade my computer about every 3 years, so I get a free MacOS upgrade every 1 out of 3 years (pay for 2, get 1 free). Not bad.

As for .Mac, I've been running fine without it for the last year or more. If you have an ISP, I can't really see the benefits of it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Panther?Totally worth every penny if they give good results.I'm hoping my G3 does have a bit more jazz with this than Jaguar.

.Mac has always been a puzzle to me.Yes to alot of people it may be useful,but I think to the average user like most of us it is a joke to charge this much for what it is.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Well I bought it and will claim the tax credit (for business purposes) and I'm getting The Sims (reg $69.95 in stores). The smooth and easy-to-use, hassle free way of using iSync, iCal, storage and auto-backup, file sharing, homepage, etc., etc., is something I can't live without. I feel I'm utilizing more potential from my Mac with .Mac.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Want to get really pissed? Buy.com in the US is selling the retail box for $77.07
By my figures that's about $110 CDN + tax. Apple Canada is ripping us off big time! :mad:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Also, you cannot use the retail kits to renew a .Mac.(Sorry, I was wrong, I guess you can.. sorry) I think if you are new to .Mac you should have to pay for it.. but to renew should be cheaper.

Apple Canada/Apple must think we are suckers..

Cheers,

RtC

[ September 21, 2003, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: RicktheChemist ]

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... Also, you cannot use the retail kits to renew a .Mac. ..."

That seems to contradict what I've heard from Resellers. Looks like we should get it from the horse's mouth. Perhaps if anyone here speaks to real company people from time to time, they should ask for a definitive answer to that one.

The AppleCanada store has:
" ... Expand your Mac experience with an annual membership to .Mac. ..." when referring to the boxed edition. I read that as it being good for a renewal.

I can tell you that when it comes to my renewal I'm going to buy a retail box and see. If it doesn't work, I can resell it.

Still, that won't be for about 6 weeks so if anyone wants to try that first and report to us all, I'm sure we'd all love to know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
well, i'm one of the people who purchased a .mac membership in the last month. and i wasn't too happy about the price. however, i have moved twice in the last six months and will move again in the near future. i needed an address that will travel with me as my isp's have changed each time i move. also, i happen to use a mac at my day job. the .mac membership has allowed me to share files between home and work with a minimum of eaze. i've also appreciated the isync feature as i've been able to keep my contacts and calendar features updated and viewable at all times. sure i could've done this for a lot cheaper options. but for me, it was ease of use and streamlining processes that sold me. unfortunately the price is total crap. but personally, the benefits outweigh the negatives. plus, if i just cut out a few nights of drinking, i've already covered the price.

have a great weekend

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I don't know where this $187 figure comes from. My letter from Apple reads:

1 Year .Mac Membership: $159.00 CAD

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
25 Posts
the $187 comes from the fact that the pricks charge an additional 17% tax rate to everyone. i didn't see this until the later stages of registration. i'm sure its in the fine print somewhere. i was quite please with that load of bunk.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts