Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey....I've gotten the general idea that an apple processor is faster than those of PC companies. But how much faster? Right now Im on a PC that's at 850mhz (UghHhhhh...*shudder*) and looking into an ibook at 1ghz or 900mhz...do you guys think it'd be significantly faster than this piece o' junk? (I have 320megs of SD ram in here if that makes a diff.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
It probably depends on what sort of apps you are running. Some are quite a bit faster on a Mac...and a one gig or 900mhz Mac is probably the functional equivalent of an P3 or P4 Intel. AMD is probably a better comparison (and is, by all accounts, a MUCH better chip)

Part of the problem with the direct comparison is that MicroSoft stuff is bloatware and is...as you may have heard...rather buggy. Most Apple software just works a lot smoother, so that's factor.

Then there's the Velocity Engine (aka AltiVec). If the program is written for AltiVec then the processor can split the problem and work on several parts of it at once. Naturally this is faster.

If GordGuide chooses to reply to this thread, he will have the definitive word on all of this for you.

Trust me on this. :cool:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Short answer... The one gig Mac will blow your 850 PC right out of the water. No question.

And it won't get any viruses. Ever. :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol thanks. and good..about the no viruses. i'll be glad to be rid of this antivirus software. stupid garbage doesnt work half the time i swear....and it just seems to freeze and crash whenever i want to scan something. Oh...such an invaluble tool. Let it burn.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
More good news for you there. Macs don't really crash much. Mine hasn't done anything like that since...hmmm...well, since I got it.

The previous one did crash on OS9 a couple of times but I never lost any data when it did.

It's a whole different world over here in the light, is it not? :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sure seems that way. :D I can't wait to get my first Mac. I can spend WAY too long just looking at pictures and specs and stuff....like a kid at christmas or something. This town is too small and entirely PC so there's no mac retailer here or anywhere within a 4 hour drive of here so I've never been on one or got to handle one. I can't wait!

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Reminds me of when I switched.

I was working as an oilfield mobile lab technician and we had to use PC laptops for twelve hours per day, seven days a week, for as much as sixty days straight.

( No time off for good behavior-but that's why the pay is so darned good)

Anyway...I knew nothing about Macs, except that they weren't PC's. And I'd had about enough of them. I also knew that Macs were supposed to be particularly good for graphics, video and photography which are all major interests of mine.

So, on a rare day away from the rig, I went into town (Dickenson, North Dakota was the closest town to our wellsite) and used the public library computer to bid for a Mac Powerbook on ebay.

When it arrived at my hotel in Billings, Montana a week later it was the very first Mac I had ever seen up close. And I had no idea how to run it. Not a single clue.No one I could call for help, either.

So I just plunged in and started playing. Within fifteen minutes I was on the net and by the next day I was totally committed. It's just wayyyy better!

I can't imagine owning a garden variety PC anymore. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
You buy a PC and Windows.
You upgrade the PC every year just to keep things running the same speed.
Every five years you buy a Windows upgrade that (you hope) will fix all the bugs of the previous version.

Or you buy a Mac.
You upgrade Mac OS X every year to double the features and increase the speed.
Every five years you buy a new Mac that will positively dramatically change your cyberlife.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Every time I have to use a PC, be it my friend's 1.6 ghz P4 or the 800mhz P3 at work---I am so glad to come home to my mac. All they have is stress from downloaded bloat-spy-adware what have you
I thought WinXP was nice at first, but now I see lots of issues with it. No thanks.
My work offered me a free 400mhzP2, but I can't think of what I would do with it , except play games, and I just can't justify the space for that.
The new G4 iBooks look pretty sweet, get the fastes machine you can afford in my opinion, unless you will never use it for video or games.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I just spend 7 hours last night, and 4 hours tonight fixing a friend's PC. XP is trash. Security exploits, instability and vulnerability to hacks, viruses and software corruption just make me want to puke all over the people who made this OS.

OSX is ROCK SOLID. And yes, the 1ghz is gonna be blazin' compared to that P3 850..

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
For some info more-or-less related to your question, I have a Quicksilver 867G4 and an AMD Athlon 950. They're pretty similar in very general terms to the computers you're comparing.

The Mac is usually faster OSX vs XP; OS9 is faster still. The more demanding the task, the more the Mac takes a lead, usually.

Some applications are close and occasionally the PC even wins. About 90% of those applications have Microsoft on the box, though.

For example if you can use Safari, no problem, the Mac has it hands-down. If you must use Internet Explorer, the Windows version wins.

Also, keep in mind these are both up, running and stable installations where the comparison is done by simply working the application. The Windows box is easily 5x more work and that work takes probably 20x more time to keep in a good running state.

If you did a comparison where, say, you popped in a CD, found the files you wanted, copied them to the hard drive, launched and worked on them in PhotoShop, then sent them out as compressed images for the web, you would find the PC was way behind.

Similarly, the browser comparison is really just how long it takes to load a window for a given URL. If you throw in the time it takes to load popups, screw with endless dialogs that are necessary in Windows if you want any hope of keeping the computer reasonably clean of evil, Windows doesn't do so well even with IE.

Multitasking (running more than 1 program at a time) is painfully slow on Windows; you're always waiting for one process to end before the other starts.

Try this one: launch eMail, a browser, and pop a CD into the drive and play it through the hifi. Now update your software, while checking your mail and browsing a bit. Even when the Mac requires attention, you can ignore the installer till you're ready, and most of the time you don't need to kill your running programs to install at all. Even the restart, if required, can wait till you're good and ready.

Compared to having everything ready and taking out the stopwatch to do filter X on file Y, which is how most Mac vs. PC benchmarks are done, it's a big difference.

[ October 28, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
You buy a PC and Windows.
You upgrade the PC every year just to keep things running the same speed.
Every five years you buy a Windows upgrade that (you hope) will fix all the bugs of the previous version.
I disagree with this, right now I upgrade my PC once a year yes but it allways get's faster, what I don't do is buy the bloatware that Microsoft sells I keep chugging along with Win98SE it runs 99% of the software out there and it fits into 100mb of hard drive space. The computer is extremely quick with this configuration I can boot the computer, launch IE, launch Word and launch Photoshop in less than 30secs

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I really got to say that people who think that browsing on a Mac is faster than browsing on a Windows machine are biased. (I can say other things but won't.)

I use a G4 933 at home and use a Pentium II box at work running Windows NT 5.0. There is absolutely no comparison when surfing the web. Windows with IE has it hands down over Mac OS X with OmniWeb, Communicator, IE and Camillo (sp?). I have yet to try with Safari but given the bugginess of that program I am reluctant to do so.

This is not only my experience but also a lot of others over at DealChat.

As for crashing the system, the Windows box does crash more often...maybe once every few weeks...but, then, I usually have the following programs open in MULTIPLE windows...I now have 10 windows open for the following programs...IE (7), Word (1), Excel (1), Lotus Notes (1). Over the course of the workday (I research and write reports), I can have as many as 12-18 different windows open along with Adobe Reader and Powerpoint.

I rarely have to restart and I don't have any issues with updating software because the Windows box simply works well enough.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Don't know what build of Safari you've tried, but I have zero issues.

I use my G4 just as intently as you; probably more, because I might have audio applications open while multitasking with standard desktop applications.

It is now just over 2 years since I bought it, and i'm still waiting for the very first crash to happen.

Win98SE on a reasonably fast system (P4 1G or so) is a very snappy OS. If it has what you need, use it. The Government of Canada is yet to switch to XP.

A trick that I used with my Windows box to stop some (not all) of the spyware and overall general sneaky applications is to format the first drive as D: not C:. You do have to spend a moment correcting the path on installers, but much of the stuff you don't want or know about will have configured the installer look for a C drive only, and fail.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Just a note, MS is moving swiftly and quietly along with their plans to discontinue support for Win98.

And any properly configured and well maintained computer will run stable, it's just that OS X doesn't necessarily require as much of either.

--PB

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is absolutely no comparison when surfing the web. Windows with IE has it hands down over Mac OS X with OmniWeb
I agree. But it finally dawned on me OS X was the problem, not the hardware. When I first tested the G5s ("the world's fastest personal computer") I was miffed at how slow they were (i.e. opening applications) compared with my puny pc with 128 MB RAM. How could this be? I still have to test Panther but, in terms of snappy speeds, OS 9 is the clear winner in the Mac world.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts