ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting my first intel mac after Christmas but I am in a a tuff spot. I am looking at the imac 21.5 brand new of the shelf but I am also looking on craigslist and other sites at a mac pro now in this situation lets assume I am getting the origanal because thats the worst mac pro I could get which is better a 4 year or quad cor mac pro or a dual core brand new imac maby tomorow this decision will be made tomorow if apple talks about lion and cuts support for older macs wouldn't that suck but thats besides the point. The mac pro has expandibility which I love lots of ram lots of hd's. The other question I have is about the graphics I called apple and they said that there new cards dont support the older macs but the guy told me that he has a 08 card in his 06 mac pro any one else able to do this.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Well if you love lots of RAM and hard drives, and you already have a good monitor, then it's a no-brainer, go for the best MacPro you can afford. Look in the Apple Refurbs on apple.ca as well, these are a better risk than a used machine off craigsbay or elist.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you love lots of RAM and hard drives, and you already have a good monitor, then it's a no-brainer, go for the best MacPro you can afford. Look in the Apple Refurbs on apple.ca as well, these are a better risk than a used machine off craigsbay or elist.
I would love to get one from apple but a used one I can get right now for 1100$ compared to 2149$ plus taxes and eco fees from apple if I could afford that I would get the imac 27 with a i7 for a little more. Allot of the craigslist ones have monitors and I have never had a problem with a used mac to be honest

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
the original mac pro can use SOME other video cards. It is picky because it has a different EFI.

If you want expandability definitely go with the mac pro. Imacs can't compare in that respect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the original mac pro can use SOME other video cards. It is picky because it has a different EFI.

If you want expandability definitely go with the mac pro. Imacs can't compare in that respect.
Any one know a good site to get cards like this

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
the 2006 mac pro can use the 7300, 2600, x1900, 8800 (but the 8800 has to be a specific 2006 EFI version), 3870, 4870 and the quadro fx 4500. not sure if the other quadro cards work in it. They're really expensive so i never looked into them.

If you're technically adventurous it's also possible to flash some PC versions of video cards to work with a mac pro.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flashing pc card sound confusing but may be worth a shot lets say I could get one model newer than the 06 would all cards be supported or again would I have the problem with efi

·
Premium Member
30,834 Posts
Reports have the 5770 working - will try tomorrow and report - that will help a lot as it's a fine machine with a sucky video card...we've been rolling through 2-3 a week but most to audio guys who are finally giving up on the G5s or the G5s are giving up on them -:( they don't care about video and the dual dvi ports are just fine

Not sure tho if spending $270 on a 1gb video card is justified on an original - hopefully now the 5770 is out some of the other cards will come on the market used as trade in.
Been a dry spell and NOBODY is getting rid of their 8 core 2.8 series....we sold....a TON and have had exactly two traded in - one was a Quad and one was downsizing to a Laptop.....

That sort of put a hole in the move up escalator and then the 3870 was discoed then the 4870 ....XX)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts