Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I am not a mac-savvy person yet, switched from pc several months ago and would like to share my experience which barely can be named successful.

My specs are as follows:
Mac Pro
2.66 Quad-Core Intel
3Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
Mac OS X v.10.5.7

This machine was bought in March. Since then Kernel Panic happened 3(!) times. Some apps (mostly Safari 4.0.1) crash frequently and almost after every restart Trash contains recovered files. Some apps don't crash but freeze e.g. iMovie when exporting a project.
Luxology Modo (3D software) doesn't start on this mac at all - it crashes at start. I widely used this app on pc and it's a bitter pill to swallow not having it worked.
Recently I found out the latch is broken so I can't open a lid (I mentioned about this problem before), and one of the usb ports stopped working.

Is it enough to give one nightmares?

I am under AppleCare and is sure going to make an appointment very soon. However I am under strict contract obligations now and can't afford to let this machine be repaired for days.

I wonder if anyone had similar experience with his/her mac? When I eventually speak with a genius should I insist on complete replacement? Does Apple provide money back policy?

Given all these circumstances I seriously question this shift to Apple platform because it turned out to a mess. I can't fully concentrate on my work.

p.s. The only hardware which worked perfectly for me was Apple Cinema Display '24. This monitor is second to none.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The symptoms all sound like you have a hardware issue - either a bad RAM stick or it's possible the motherboard itself has gone south. (Kernel Panics in normal use are most often bad hardware setup, or a 3rd party driver that was just installed misbehaving)

There are some applications (namely nearly anything that uses the eSellerate engine for in app purchasing) that will leave a Recovered Files folder in your trash after a restart because it does not clean up it's temporary directory and those files get moved to your trash just in case.

From what you've described it's definitely got some issues - you can try running memtest to test your memory, or the Apple Hardware Test (hold 'D' when starting up the computer when you have your Mac OS X Install discs that came with your Mac Pro)

Given all these circumstances I seriously question this shift to Apple platform because it turned out to a mess. I can't fully concentrate on my work.
It sounds to me you just got a bad piece of hardware, it leaves a sour taste but I wouldn't discount it yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what you've described it's definitely got some issues - you can try running memtest to test your memory, or the Apple Hardware Test (hold 'D' when starting up the computer when you have your Mac OS X Install discs that came with your Mac Pro)
Thank you Chealion. I'll give it a try.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
off topic but...

hey insomniac: were you on IRC EFNET a while back? (like 6+ years ago)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IllusionX
Nope. Haven't heard about IRC EFNET before.

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts
Given the broken latch and failed USB port I would get it to an Apple Service Provider as soon as possible.

The key combination "Command-Option-Escape" will allow you to force quit any application that freezes. Command is the key with the four leaf clover on it, located next to the space bar. Unlike Windoze force quitting an application is quick and about 99+% effective. If you have to force quit an app a second time try logging out then back in.

Are you trying to use the 3D modeling program with a Windows emulater or is it native Mac?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eMacMan
Thanks for a tip.

I used native mac version of Modo.

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts
eMacMan
Thanks for a tip.

I used native mac version of Modo.
Your welcome; that is one key combination that everyone should know so I throw it out there at every opportunity. Far too many former Windoze users go for the plug when a force quit is all that is required.

I would suggest eMailing the Modo software manufacturer and see if they have any suggestions, updates etc. If nothing else they should appreciate knowing when it does not work right.

You also mentioned Safari issues. I much prefer Camino as my main browser. Those with faster connections also seem to like FireFox. Hopefully the next update will fix your Safari issues. You can also try resetting Safari (File menu). This will clear all your caches and history files. Safari 4 does seem to have some cache issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts