Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I am hoping to get some insight in regards to my options for upgrading the video card in my Mac Pro 3 1 2008. As my budget is concerned, I'd rather use an inexpensive option for this older rig.

Right now I am leaning towards the ASUS GeForce 610

Canada Computers & Electronics | Video Cards | ASUS GeForce GT 610 2GB DDR3 (GT610-2GD3-CSM) | 810 MHz Clock, 1200 MHz Memory | PCI Express 2.0, D-Sub, DVI, HDMI

What would I need to do to get this card to work? I do not mind losing the grey apple boot screen. Do I need to flash the card? I plan on using dual screen through the dvi/vga ports. I do a fair amount of video editing and this card would be an upgrade to the stock 256mb card.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well i got lucky with mine as i bought a second hand Graphic cards for my new "used" 3.1 macpro 2010 as i run 3 screens on my machine. i can run 4, but i have no use for 4 right now

It is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost "2 gig" and another generic apple card so i can see the booting sequence and paid 80 bux for the Nvidia. if you have a usedeverywhere, craiglist, kijjii, you can look up into it.

From what i have heard. Any PC card "windows based" video cards can fit in a mac, just make sure that your power plug are 6 pins. i'll stay with a single 6 pins plug as if you go with a dual 6 pins? it might draw too much power off your power supply

As for flashing the card, i wouldn't personally recommend it, but that is my own opinion :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
You're going to pay more for a card that's flashed with a Mac EFI to allow boot screens. And boot screens are important when using Boot Camp, or booting in and out of different volumes.

Since you agree that dumping money into an old unsupported Mac isn't your thing, and budget matters... why not just get a used Nvidia 8800GT Mac card off of eBay. It's the high end card that came with that machine, and it's capable enough for most things. Inexpensive too.

If you want to pay a bit more, grab an ATI 5770 Mac card, or a flashed AMD Radeon 6870. Both are in your price range and are a step up from the 8800GT.

Personally, I used the 8800GT in my previous Mac Pro 3,1, and it was fine. It even handled many games that I didn't think it would.

In the end it's all about your budget, and whether you want an Apple supported card, or a flashed card.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
I wonder if this will be another one of "those" threads? :lmao:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts