Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just realized I posted this in the wrong section!!
Mods please move this to the correct forum of mac troubleshooting thanks!

Hi folks it's been a while since I've been on, life you know. I was hoping to get some help if I could.

I just picked up a 2008 mac pro 3,1 - quad core 2.8 intel xeon. I wanted to use it for older games. I also decided to load a few older apps as well. When I installed iWork's 2008, pages says it won't run because the computer is a power PC??
How can it say under 'about this mac' that it's a 2008 intel mac pro but software tell me it's an older power pc? I know the older G5 towers have a totally different interior with G5 in you face when you open the cover. Mine has the same interior as any other intel I've seen.

Help!

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
How can it say under 'about this mac' that it's a 2008 intel mac pro but software tell me it's an older power pc?
Any chance the previous owner hacked it somehow with some firmware to make it act like something it isn't???

This is what it should be:

Don't some Mac models and macOS versionsa have a developers/users option yo make a machine act like it's something it isn't??? Or is that just with some software applications???

Just a thought...

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response pm-r!
I was curious about the firmware but I don't know enough about how to do it. Yes I guess its possible he did but why hack it to an older machine??
The link you provided is exactly the machine I purchased, I'm not sure what would cause it, the OS or the model? Thing is, its running Catalina and I didn't think a G5 could do that.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
The link you provided is exactly the machine I purchased, I'm not sure what would cause it, the OS or the model? Thing is, its running Catalina and I didn't think a G5 could do that.

If things are as you say, I would definitely say that that Mac model has been hacked.

From the everymac site, that Mac can only run Maximum MacOS: X 10.11.x* El Capitan.

Are you sure you don't have the Catalina and macOS version number confused??? Catalina = macOS 10.15 according to my records.

Something is certainly goofed up from normal, and I am not at all knowledgeable about macOS and hacking.

If you don't get any decent helpful suggestions from this foreign, you might want to join and ask some of the gurus at Mac-Forums or some of the Mack modding/hacking sites who should be familiar with such situations.

Can you contact the person you bought it from and ask them what is going on???

It sounds like you did not get the model Mac you were expecting or with a normal Mac OS version installed.

That my model should be able to run any Mac OS version from the Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.5.1 (9B2117) to the latest it can run Maximum MacOS: X 10.11.x* according to everymac.

Good luck with your purchase and progress. 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
42,782 Posts
Hi Kelman! This is physically a Mac Pro. The G5s all had "G5" prominently stamped on the inside. A G5 can't run anything past Leopard. If you were able to downgrade the firmware to G5 (doubtful) then that's what you would see on "About this Mac."

I suspect this could be the result of trying to run Catalina on this machine, which is way above its paygrade. Try an HD with El Capitan and I bet it will install.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some digging and turns out he did update the firmware but
If things are as you say, I would definitely say that that Mac model has been hacked.

From the everymac site, that Mac can only run Maximum MacOS: X 10.11.x* El Capitan.

Are you sure you don't have the Catalina and macOS version number confused??? Catalina = macOS 10.15 according to my records.

Something is certainly goofed up from normal, and I am not at all knowledgeable about macOS and hacking.

If you don't get any decent helpful suggestions from this foreign, you might want to join and ask some of the gurus at Mac-Forums or some of the Mack modding/hacking sites who should be familiar with such situations.

Can you contact the person you bought it from and ask them what is going on???

It sounds like you did not get the model Mac you were expecting or with a normal Mac OS version installed.

That my model should be able to run any Mac OS version from the Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.5.1 (9B2117) to the latest it can run Maximum MacOS: X 10.11.x* according to everymac.

Good luck with your purchase and progress. 😏

- Patrick
=======
I tried contacting him but he isn't responding so I'm on my own here. I got it for a steal and after replacing the HDD and running it on 10.10.5 everything seems ok. Only Word from Microsoft Office doesn't work saying "You can't open the application 'Microsoft Word' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." I use pages so no worries.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kelman! This is physically a Mac Pro. The G5s all had "G5" prominently stamped on the inside. A G5 can't run anything past Leopard. If you were able to downgrade the firmware to G5 (doubtful) then that's what you would see on "About this Mac."

I suspect this could be the result of trying to run Catalina on this machine, which is way above its paygrade. Try an HD with El Capitan and I bet it will install.
Hi MacFury! Yep I used to have a G5 and I remember the big G% in your face as soon as the cover was off lol! I looked up all the firmware info and I suspect the previous owner updated the firmware to run Catalina. No desire to downgrade though.

·
Premium Member
42,782 Posts
Likely the "DosDude" Catalina upgrade. I don't believe there is a firmware upgrade/alteration that is part of it. It's just a glitch created by running Catalina on an old beast!

Hi MacFury! Yep I used to have a G5 and I remember the big G% in your face as soon as the cover was off lol! I looked up all the firmware info and I suspect the previous owner updated the firmware to run Catalina. No desire to downgrade though.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Likely the "DosDude" Catalina upgrade. I don't believe there is a firmware upgrade/alteration that is part of it. It's just a glitch created by running Catalina on an old beast!
Funny you should say that because the HDD he put it on was formatted to MS Dos! I don't understand but, ah yeah.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts