Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't expect anyone to have an answer to this, but thought I'd share...

Yesterday I had a 700meg file to transfer to a friend, and no blank CDs on hand. My 1-gig flash drive also wasn't handy. He's running an HP Inspiron with XP.

So I figure, let's just do filesharing - I have OS X, this'll be a snap!

Oy vey. After stumbling around lost within the settings, I finally just Googled "OS X" "Windows" "File sharing" and found some help.

So we finally get file sharing turned on, and do a copy, using our router as a go-between for a wired connection. All seems fine.

Tonight - and I'm thinking it's coincidence, but he's convinced my "mac screwed up" his computer. Every time he launches a program, it asks for the install CDs. MS Office is toast. Acrobat reinstalled itself. His antivirus won't update anymore (though his anti-spyware works, and has detected no problems).

It's sort of acting like what OS X does when the hard drive is too full - unable to write preference files and returning to defaults (like when your Dock reverts to the original icons). But he's got about 4 gigs free....

Anyway... he's miffed. I'm only partly sympathetic. I mean, he's running Windows. I don't really need to express remorse, right? Is it really possible that simply turning on File sharing on his PC could screw it up so badly?

He has a registry tune-up program utility thingy that reported a bunch of errors (104), that were fixed. Then a reboot, but no change to the problem.

Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Anti-virus not updating sounds like maybe he didn't put either the network (Internet) settings back the way they were, or the Firewall was changed to block more network activity than before.

If you didn't overwrite any PC files with your transfer, then its unlikely that you have messed his machine.

4 Gb free space is getting low - esp. if he has 2 Gb or more of memory that will want swap file space.

Short answer - his problems are more likely due to having moved his machine and redone some settings than anything you Mac could have done.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Agreed. I do file sharing between my MBP, Mini, and my bro's Dell all the time with absolutely no problems. Simply copying a file to a Windows machine from a Mac will not screw up Windows. Its Windows, he should expect stuff like this to happen. I say that only half sarcastically because I work in tech support and have seen this stuff happen randomly and suddenly.

Trev

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Anti-virus not updating sounds like maybe he didn't put either the network (Internet) settings back the way they were, or the Firewall was changed to block more network activity than before.

If you didn't overwrite any PC files with your transfer, then its unlikely that you have messed his machine.

4 Gb free space is getting low - esp. if he has 2 Gb or more of memory that will want swap file space.

Short answer - his problems are more likely due to having moved his machine and redone some settings than anything you Mac could have done.

exactly

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A further clarification - once we had file sharing active, he copied the file FROM my MacBook to his PC - I did not connect to his PC to move files, so again, any damage was done from the PC end of things.

His laptop wouldn't browse the network for other servers (i.e., my Mac) until File Sharing was active on his machine - weird.

Guess what he's getting for a wedding present next month... ;) When is it the refurb store usually restocks? Friday?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Agreed with Trevx and canadaRam
As the only support tech supporting Mac's and having two at my desk and on a "windows" only network (and i pull files form the backend and the other workstaions) it looks to be the wintel

We did have an issue like that at work when someone tried to install PCAnywhere on my work PC that had Citrix on it (PCAnywhere rewrites the Hkeys that Citrix and i think other software uses) and everything asked for there S/N's

Sad part is that to fix it it was a reinstall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.