Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to start a prolonged debate over the merits of each, since I recall this has already taken place with no clear winners. However, for someone with no Mac software and able to buy all new hardware (e.g., printers, scanners, etc), is this really an issue? I don't foresee myself utilizing Photoshop, nor trying to network this computer. Personally, I don't even see the need for Bluetooth, but that's another issue. Under this scenario, is the following statement from MacNN actually detrimental for me, or is it a non-issue? Merci.

"Apple has again updated its Mac OS X-only Mac list, adding the updated iMacs to list of Macs that "will start up only in Mac OS X.
These computers can run Classic, but they do not start up in Mac OS 9." Flat-panel iMacs with a serial number after 'xx305xxxxxx'
and the new 1GHz 17" FP iMac are not able to boot Mac OS 9.(The new Aluminum PowerBooks and FireWire 800 Power Mac G4 also do not boot Mac OS 9.)"

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Well personally, I think if you are going to buy a new computer, (research grant isn't it?), then buy the most current one going. In one year, the amount of OSX apps out there has increased a thousandfold (sp). Who knows what will come this year. Something that might just be useful to you.

I would never go back to OS9, as my productivity has increased under X. No I don't miss extension conflicts, freezes, or any of the multiply hassles of 9.

That said, if you need to be in 9, why not buy a used PB or desktop. Early G3's and later PM's are going really cheap cuz of the OSX requirements. That way you could have the best of both worlds.

OS9 is dead. The future is OSX, whether you like it or not. Don't buy backwards if you don't need too.
Robert

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Dr. G., I remained silent throughout the entire monster thread... but if you dare to start waffling now, I may have to restort to prolonged and intense posts reminiscent of the "Brothers Bush" thread.

As someone who is firmly and happily in the world of OS X, worry not. You will have all you need, and much, much more.

Besides... there's always... Classic.

;)
M

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hey CM how is X on that orange-sicle of yours.
4 mb vram and a 300mhz processor can hack 10.2? Thats great to hear.
Robert

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, CubaMark, I am not "waffling". This was just an honest question. Personally, I agree with Robert that it makes sense to buy the most up-to-date computer, with the most amount of RAM, as one is able to afford. I am just curious about this issue. I have to be honest and say that I did not pay that much attention to the previous threads that dealt with the onset of OS X. I can't say that I fully understand the whole notion of "Classic". I figure that I shall start from what is on the computer and work upwards from there. With no software or hardware to worry about, then I am able to take "the high ground" on this matter. I am still waiting on my research grant number, which I need for the purchase order, and then I shall order an iMac.

You should post something in the Monster Thread just to say that you were part of history. For if ehMacLand, and all the little ehMacLanders (which rhymes with Newfoundlanders) should last for a thousand thread, men and women will still say -- "This was the longest thread.........which stole many a finest hour or two from all who read and wrote in this undertaking of blood, sweat, toil and tears". For the record, I live all of 150 from Churchill Park here in St.John's. The doxies still go ballistic when I approach the monument of Churchill and read the inscriptions.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Dr.G., thanks for making me laugh.... :D

Classic, which is basically just OS 9 running "inside" of OS X, should be sufficient for any non-X applications you ever may need to use.

re: RAM. Yep. Go for the max. It's no longer even a question of "what you can afford", given that 512meg chips for the iMac are ridiculously inexpensive if you don't buy from Apple!

For example, http://www.coastmemory.com has a 512mb chip (PC2100 SO DIMM) for the 1ghz iMac at $130.44 USD. A 1-gigabyte kit for the 800mhz iMac (PC133) can be had for $132.49.

http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9&subcatid=905

Coast has been reliable in my experience, and were right on the ball to certify their chips as compliant when Apple released the FirmWare Update from Hell last year... ;)

Robert, my Tangerine iBook is doing just fine with Jaguar, thankyouverymuch! John Farr over at Applelinks was also amazed to hear that his orange baby could hack 10.2.3, contrary to the dire warnings of many naysayers.

I'm very happy with the performance, and that's before adding the disclaimer "considering it's a 300mhz G3 with 4mb of VRAM". At 288 RAM, it's only midrange what one would like to have for memory, but I'm not sure if there is a 512meg chip that will fit in and work with the clamshell iBook series.

As I type this, I'm experiencing a CeePeeYou system load that bounces between 9% and 30%, with the following apps open: Safari, Eudora 5.2, iChat, iCal, System Preferences, and Konfabulator with two widgets open (ehMac - thanks jfpoole! - and "Alert Status", for pure comic value).

I can play back full-screen QT clips without a great deal of stuttering (the occasional dropped frame), and although iPhoto tells me each time I start it up that my screen resolution (800x600) is not optimal, and Apple's recommended minimum system is a 400mhz G3, it still does the job with only a little sluggishness.

I'm just thinking ahead to the day when I finally get a Powerbook to replace this baby... the speed will no doubt leave me breathless

M.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Great to hear CubaMark. I believe 256mb is the largest you can go as far as ram. But saying that, 512 is enough for X. I think a larger HD would also help things along as well.
Dr.G, one other thought. All the iapps run in X.
Robert

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robert and Cuba Mark, thanks once again. I figure that here is the place to learn about the OS X and the considerations I need to make when purchasing items such as scanners and printers that are OS X-compatible. Sadly, I have also been reading about delays in upgrading the drivers to keep up with Apple.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CubaMark, for a laugh, scroll through the Monster Thread for some of the banter between Peter S. and myself.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Dr. G,
As for printers, I bought a samsung ML-1210 for $300 last month. A good all round printer. The driver is beta inX but no problems so far. I believe there are a lot of Lexmark print drivers already loaded in OSX. They were my second choice. (bit more money is all)
As for scanners, I hope to pick up one this month. The canon LiDE30 featured in the Apple store gets the nod. (If Apple is selling it at their store, it can't be all bad) It runs USB and gets its power from the port as well. Its small, compact and light which works for me. I mostly scan line art and the occasional photo.
Good luck and ask away if more info needed.
Robert
PS: I strongly recommend an OSX for dummies book as a quick reference o the OS

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
I have the Canon N650U (ancestor of the LiDE 30), and I love it - small, slim, bus-powered, perfect for a laptop (and a nice low-profile compliment beside my friend's iMac also).

Robert, does the LiDE 30 come with a standalone OS X canoscan toolbox, or are you stuck using PhotoShop, like I have to with mine?

(and if you answer in the affirmative, then I will have to take up serious contemplation of my next missive to Canon, since there's no reason I should have to do without!)

M.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once again, thank you both for your thoughts pertaining to this matter. I need a scanner for slides and APS film, and a photo printer. I am in no rush, but I would have thought that support for the OS X would have come sooner.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Just had a friends Mac given to me to look at because was having issues. A 2 year old PowerBook running OS 9. First time I booted and used a Mac in OS 9 in like 6 months. Was having problem with extension conflicts so had to play around in extenstions manager. Photoshop kept crashing on them... had to allocate more memory to Photoshop. Lots of icons had just a generic icon so had to rebuild the desktop... :mad:

Not to ruffle feathers.. but I HATE OS 9 now. :mad: Afterwards I wanted to take a shower. X is still not perfect, is not a zippy as 9, still has some issues here and there... but its stability and low maintenance 100x outshines its short comings.

I think beginning of 2004 when OS X Quark kinks get worked out, workflow issues ironed out, and all printing and scanning issues are solid we'll see designers, etc... really start to migrate. But if you're not in this category, go X and don't look back.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hey,CM
Hate to break it to you, but, Canon needs Photoshop.
This is the footnote at the bottom of the page "** Scanner driver compatible with Mac OS X native mode is included. Adobe Photoshop 7.0 is required separately to use the driver in native mode."
This isn't a problem for me as I own Photoshop. I imagine it is a major pain to some though. I really like the compact size and lack of external power.
Robert

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Robert, do I understand you correctly that without Photoshop 7 (I had considered Photoshop Elements, but not PS7), a film scanner from Canon will not function properly on a new iMac?

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Good question Dr.G...I was wondering about this as well. I have Elements and Photoshop LE, but not 7.

Will this do the trick?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Macnutt, we shall have to wait upon the likes of Macdoc, PosterBoy, gordguide or Heart to provide the answer. They are the Four Horsemen of ehMacLand, or, in the lexicon of mythology the Mount Olympus MacMavens.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Dr.G my plan is to pick one up tomorrow. They have been out of stock in this area for the last month. Once I get it, I'll give you the skinny on it.
Robert

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
The four horsemen, indeed! :D

They are the gurus of this particular ashram, no doubt.

But I think we could add StrongBlade in this particular case. He is a master at Photoshop, and works for Adobe.

Bet he'd know the answer.eh?
:cool: :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Macnutt, StrongBlade was an unintentional omission. Thus, adding a fifth person makes it the Five Horsemen of ehMacLand, or, in the lexicon of mythology the Mount Olympus Master MacMavens. Their slogan shall be "The few...the proud......the MacMaven Marines."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts