Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent Apple some feedback last night about the need for a killer app on OS X server: A full fledged groupware system like Exchange server.

Apple should create something that can compete with this, do it better and provide 100% functionality to Mac, WIndows and Linux clients. Oh, and some plug-ins so it can talk to Lotus Notes and Exchange server. Sound interesting? Anyone?

I've lost count how many times we try to implement Macs on an Exchange system and Microsoft seems to have deliberatly crippled the Mac in this regard. Most corporate types have not moved beyond 5.5 which requires a MAPI client (OS has none). Entourage support is a joke.

I wonder if I can setup some kind of website or petition to this effect? Anyone care to comment on this?

·
Registered
778 Posts
There was a "rumor" a while ago that Apple would be purchasing the code for First Class Client email server that was owned by centrinity and now its owned by open text.

This would be a great idea in my opinion. Would be nice to see it come to light! Love first class....have exchange!!! mac interoperability sucks the big M$

·
Registered
113 Posts
mitch kapor (lotus founder) is working on chandler which is his open source exchange killer app. he is funding the project.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm well aware of both FirstClass and Mitch's efforts however I still think Apple should pursue this market with an inexpensive solution.

Think about it, they bring this out so it runs say on OS X and Linux (ok, maybe just OS X), they make it as good if not bettter (mostly better) than Exchange server and they practically give it away. Easy method to grow the OS X server market in the enterprise since they like this type of thing.

The key here is to make ALL platforms an equal client on such a thing. We all know how we're treated with Exchange. Notes is better since they have an OS X native client but that thing is a monster in the UI department.

I can see it now, Apple's elegant UI savvy with the power and simplicity of the server bakend combined with a peerplatform client and they've got a real potential winner.

Make it INEXPENSIVE and reliable. Those 2 things are not Exchange's forté.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I agree with you on the inexpensive part...okay where do I throw in my 2 cents to Apple to have them push this into development??

Would be great to see something of this nature come to light!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Certainly FirstClass has huge potential. From the Helix/Genesis days it was a staple of my life.

If Apple were to take something with the elegance of FirstClass and break into the Exchange/Mail Server realm, it could be a hit...

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
You can't imagine the utility of being able to listen to your home voicemails in an internet cafe in Bangkok. FirstClass rocks.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I used to work in the marketing department for Centrinity before the OpenText takeover. I would certainly attest that for all its virtual silence in the last three years, FirstClass is still the killer app for all platforms (OS X, Windows, Linux, Unix (Solaris)).

You (yes, you reading this thread) can get a free copy of the OS X server version that simply has a limitation of five clients. Good for tinkering around. http://www.firstclass.com/

Apple and FirstClass had a shaky relationship when Apple copied the FirstClass mail server in the early 1990s with PowerMail. FirstClass of course won out. There are nearly 7 million users worldwide and in Denmark now, there is a single server looking after 250,000 users! (You'd need 250 Exchange servers and a staff of 50 to do the same.) The R&D has been chugging along and there's been many, many refinements to the product (the roadmap is ambitious) even under OpenText.

Most users are in schools and universities - this is where the base is. However, Alaska Airlines, The New York Times, L.A. Times and a few other large corporations use FirstClass. The legendary Berkeley Mac Users Group operated on FirstClass (back when it was a BBS server competing with SilverSurfer).

On the Unified Communications side (where I worked), we had Sprint Canada, BellZinc and Telus as customers for awhile until it was all canned (they couldn't afford to put the marketing dollars to sell it to the end users). The main problem was that it took 10 minutes to thoroughly explain how it worked (this was my marketing problem). It's the killer app that still cannot be matched even today. -> Imagine ALL your messages (email, voicemails, faxes, sms) available from anywhere, anytime (web, email client, wap, blackberry, vt100 terminal).

You just have to download a copy for yourself!
http://www.firstclass.com/introedition/

It would make a lot of sense for Apple buy FirstClass and the killer server app for the Xserves. Back in 2001, Apple's North American Service Engineers held a conference at Sheridan College (just a venue) and they were wowed by FirstClass. I'm not sure if anyone at Apple now remembers screwing FirstClass in the early 90s (but Woz used to be a user). The VP supposedly was meeting with some higher-ups at Apple just as I left Centrinity.

Who knows???

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I researched that OpenText only paid US$11.5 million for FirstClass. Apple can surely afford this. If OpenText sells, then there would be built-in operability with their LiveLink software that would be a win-win for both companies.

Apple would sell a whack of Exchange-bustin' FirstClass XServes and become an industry leader!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts