Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I didn't remember until now -- late in the day. Yup, it was first released -- 10.0 -- on March 24, 2001. It has come a LONG way since then. When it shipped, there was no DVD player or CD burning software and performance was WAY sluggish -- tee hee!

Kudos to Apple for their work on OS X, but don't rip me off for "Panther." I can't afford shelling out $200CDN each year for each new .OS release.

Be fair to the loyal.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble Tomac but you had better start saving your pennies for 10.3

It will be a paid upgrade for sure. Apple is comitted to 1 new major release of OS X every year and they are not free.

You can expect to pay the same for it as 10.2. As usual, most will complain but after using it they will forget about the money and move one. Such as it is with the new "Software for Profit" Apple Inc.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, it certainly hasn't been announced what sort of cost to upgrade Panther is going to happen, but it's still too early to say anything concrete.

Certainly the image is that a new OS upgrade with such a radical collection of improvements, enhancements, and extra features will require a new purchase, but iMovie wasn't free before either.

10.2 (Jaguar) was such a huge upgrade, in the sense that it brough forth alot of new and improved and was the result of huge amounts of work that it would have been unlikely that Apple would give it away for free.

And contrary to what alot of people have said, 10.1 was a free upgrade for 10.0 owners, so the indication that Apple will charge for 'yearly' upgrades it a bit erroneous. However, people who bought/acquired with their machine, Mac OS 10.1 did not get a free upgrade to Jaguar unless they puchesed their machine/OS about a month previous.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
No Bubbly anyone?

Cheers,

RtC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll toast with you, RtC. The best thing that has happened to Macs is OS X.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Cheers!!! I'll take my ginger ale to keep the police away shaken and not stirred
;)

Yeah for X, the more I use it, the more I love it. 9, the more I use it, the more I want to restart into X. Windows, the more I use it, the more violent my thoughts become.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd pay $30CDN max for an upgrade along with the "seemingly useless" software coupon enclosed with my Power Mac.

They should do the 10.0 - 10.1 price where they charged for shipping or you could walk into an Apple dealer and pick up the 10.1 upgrade free.

Seems fair enough for a . release at this point after the Jaguar fiasco. 10.1 was primitive and JUST usable. 10.2 should have been the 10.0 that Apple released back in 2001. I could BARELY use my old iBook 500 under 10.1 -- the darn thing was slow even with the RAM maxed. Apple ONLY redeems itself somewhat with FREE iTunes and burning features -- no having to purchase MP3 burning capability like with Win XPee -- and the excellent iMovie and still-in-its-infancy iPhoto. << Performance issues still exist today -- I'm running a Dual 1.25 and the resizing the window and zooming photos is pathetic. I WANT SPEED and FLUIDITY.

Bring on Quartz Extreme to the 3rd power or something Apple.

SHOW ME THE 970!!! SHOW ME THE 970 IN A POWER MAC!!! SHOW ME WHY A POWER MAC DESERVES "POWER" IN ITS NAME!!!

I DEMAND MORE INNOVATION THAN JUST SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee dee dee dee dee... end of rant!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts