Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me roughly what percentage of Mac users are now using OS X?

The last estimate I remember -- probably in a Jobs keynote -- was 25%, but that may be outdated.

SMc

·
Registered
237 Posts
People set in their ways? Well, I've been using Macs since 1984 (still have my 128K logic board), and the move to OS X (version 10.1) was the best thing that ever happened. Yes, OS X 10.0 was rough around the edges, but people had to be brought up to speed on the architectures.

From where I sit, I don't know how much longer I could stand rebooting my computer in 9, when the program I was developing crashed. The amount of wasted time over a year had to be weeks.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Ha! OS 9 was so broken it wasn't funny! Patches on top of patches on top of patches - bleech. Three cheers to the engineers who kept it going, but good riddance it's gone.

Jaguar a pain in the rear? Nope, the leaps and bounds the engineers have made in that release are quantum.

I'm wondering if the graphics industry was reluctant to move to OS X because of OS X or was it their dependency on Quark. I can understand that there has to be a real business decision to move to Quark for OS X (especially with their 'activate software' copy protection), but I bet there are folks in graphics that have made the move to OS X without too many growing pains. Speaking of dependancies, from what I understand, Adobe software took a little while to rid itself of the OS 9 memory model. (Did I say patches on top of patches on top of patches?) If you're into Photoshop and Illustrator, you had a wait until the OS X versions were available. But now that they are, what's holding someone back (besides bucks?)

So, I have been more than happy with OS X. The stability, ability to do multiple things 'at once' and not having to use that silly access manager for my ISP (having to reinstall it because Opentransport was updated was ludicrist!) are the selling factors for me.

I haven't been in OS 9 except to test my software and I'm moving to Mach-o, which means no more 9! Yippee!!!

John

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Sooner or later folks are going to have to make the switch. Either that or give up on macs all together. All the major software vendors are going to be writing their apps for OSX only.
I know numerous graphics pros who have successfully made the switch and can't understand why others haven't as well. Like was said before, fear of the unknown, too cheap or broke are the main reasons. I put fear of the unknown right at the top.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is strictly opinion... Mine, at that...

New users, and {No Offence} users with simpler needs are more likely to have switched...

Long time users and Graphics people are less likely...

By simpler needs, I mean users whose computer needs revolve around apps like MS Office, Web Browsers, iTunes, iMovie, etc... This is not to sound condecending...
but these apps are reletively self contained and range from free to reletively inexpensive... Hence an easier migration...

Long time users are set in their ways and if it ain't broke ... don't fix it...

or like many in the Graphics industry have so many add ons and plugins and extensions that they rely on in their daily business that they are holding back. Some are like that out of fear of the unknown, are chreap, are broke, or a hundred other reasons.

Personally I still read too much of a Pain in the Ass factor regarding Jaguar for me to consider it professionally...
i love playing with it at home but at work I can't fight with something that won't do everything I want the way I want it done...

Panther is looking interesting, but a buch of Beige G3's are going to have to be replaced in order to completely upgrade.... {I hate mixing OS's}

But that's just me...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the reference I was looking for.

In June of this year, Apple said that 7 million people worldwide were using OS X. That's about 28% of the estimated 25 million Mac users worldwide.

Just for fun, I was trying to figure out how many people bought the 6 million songs sold at the iTunes Music Store.

My estimate: Eight Songs Each.

Sandy

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Yep...sooner or later we all have to switch. OSX/UNIX is the future, No doubt about it.

I switched early this year and I really like Jaguar now that I'm used to it.

But...I still have my Pismo on OS9.2.2 and it's the machine I use for Photoshop, scanning, printing etc. because of issues with OSX. It just works better for the versions I have at the moment. Eventually I'll have all the software upgrades and the Powerbook will get Jaguar too.

And...once I get Toast Titainium, my G4 powermac (on OSX) will stop telling me that both my external Iomega CDRW and the aftermarket A-OPEN CDRW that's built into it are "not supported for burning".

Now that is truly frustrating. :rolleyes:

I can hardly wait for Panther....

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I don't think we need to resurrect the MacOS 9 versus MacOS X debate. Sandy just wanted some stats.

The question in these stats though, is did Apple say how many users are still using both operating systems.

In my view there are 3 groups:

1)users that use only MacOS 9
2)users that use MacOS 9 and MacOS X - basically your users in transition that boot into both
3)users that use only MacOS X

·
Registered
227 Posts
people (like me) that have got into macs in the last three years or so probably use osx - i really don't like os9.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Also, think of all the developers -like jfpoole for example- who would not be using Macs if it weren't for OS X.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If it weren't for Mac OS X, I wouldn't be using a Mac. The last experience I had with a Mac before I purchased my PowerBook was a pretty poor experience. The machine crashed at least twice a day (often requiring me to unplug it in order to reboot it) and was as slow as a slug. If the office I was in had a window, I'm pretty certain the Mac would have gone through it.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If it weren't for Mac OS X, I wouldn't be using a Mac
My sentiments exactly: OS 9 did very little to persuade me to switch. The first time I saw OS X I said "hey this is what Linux should have been." I've been smitten ever since.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you get a chance, and haven't seen it already, get a look at Microsoft Office v. X - IMHO its very well done.

The Mac division at Microsoft must be in a different plane of existence from the Windows herd...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I got my first Mac (Pismo 500MHz) when OS 9.0.4 was "all the rage." It was dreadful and made me wish I had not switched at all! It crashed all the time and I just hated it.

Then came OS X. That sealed it for me. I will be true to Macs as long as the OS is this good...and getting better all the time! I love my Mac and I love the OS!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,387 Posts
Reading your experiences/reactions to your switch from OS 9 to X, I can't help but wonder at the culture shock I shall experience when I utilize Jaguar/Panther. OS 6 on my Mac LCII suited me well, but I sense that this transition shall be mind altering. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The easiest way Dr. G, is to go in without expectations about how things should or could work. This way you hopefully wont hold onto any of your old System 6 trivia, or any of your more current Windows minutiae either.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,387 Posts
PB, the only thing I was getting a fair degree of mastery over was Hypercard for the LC II and Hyperstudio for the IIgs. I have never mastered any application of the Windows environment. I am in amazement when I see my son creating simple Flash cartoons, or how he can utilize computer-assisted artwork. Granted, this is with a Dell, but still, he has far more expertise with certain aspects of the computer than I do, and he's only 16 1/2. Still, I have one thing over him that REALLY counts -- the ability to read/write effectively and strategically. This is my one "ace in the hole".

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
You should work on that then. Reading and writing not only effectively, but creatively and correctly seems to be becoming a somewhat less prominent skill (for lack of a better term) among todays youth.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,387 Posts
PB, I am VERY glad that you included the notion of "creativity" to my comment about being an effective/strategic reader and writer. All writing is creative, but I think we are on the same wave length re the semantic meaning of the term "creativity".

Good for you. You shall be our first Valedictorian at the ehMacLand U graduation (see the Shangri-la thread for the particulars on this issue).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Pro-Audio and much design work in downtown TO is still 9.1. because issues are dead time.
In fact one sees for backup several racks of 9500's with racks of SCSI PCI's. They're usually hidden in a faraday cage between connected rooms.
Production is newer G4's with very lean extension sets running Pro-Tools, Digital Performer and Logic.
Most of the operators enthusiastically run OS-X on their own to keep up with progress.
For your OS-X home studios, the rave for music production is Propellerhead's Reason and Ableton-Live!-2, both run on 10.2.6 like jockeys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts