Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
... or the screen doesn't come on after being in 'sleep' mode for a few hours.

*gnashing of teeth, wailing*

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Get rid of all things Microsoft and OS X won't lock up.... For some reason, the only apps that ever cause my powerbook to become unresponsive are Excel, Word, Powerpoint and IE. Even then its quite rare. Adobe apps are slow but quit graciously. MIcrosoft apps hang on by their cloven hooves......

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I can tell, it's Samba that's causing Mac OS X (or, rather, certain applications as well as the Finder) to hang for several minutes. It seems that if a Samba share disappears (before it's unmounted), then Mac OS X keeps looking and looking and looking for it before giving up.

Of course, it'll turn around and do the exact same thing moments later (because, hey, it could have magically re-appeared).

Grrr again.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
OK, so maybe OS X wouldn't lock up if there were no such thing as a Windows PC or server (so you wouldn't need to use Samba). So, it is Microsofts fault....

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm connecting to a Linux machine

I suppose I could use NFS. I suppose I could also pound nails into my skull.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to lock up...at least the spinning multi-colored ball goes away eventually ...

But the one thing that really has me bugged is that I have two CDRW's...one built-in (aftermarket A-open) and one external (Iomega) and BOTH are listed as "not supported for burning" in the system profiler!

GRRRRRR!! :rolleyes:

Thank god I've still got the trusty ol Pismo on 9.2.2 and EVERYTHING works on that one! :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I only have problems when Samba is involved, which is thankfully basically never on my home machine.

Also have issues when using this fun little screen saver called SaveHollyWood, which works just fine but if you let it run for more than half an hour at time it takes a few minutes to recover. It's got some serious issues.

macnutt, do you have Toast Titanium? It works much better for burning than the finder. MUCH better.

--PB

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Thanks, both of you!

I've been considering Toast Titainium (I already have Toast lite) and I've just downloaded the CD burner program from the site that Jim suggested.(BTW I'm on 10.2.6 at this point)

I'll keep you posted. :cool:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently Mac OS X does crash on occasion since it just happened to me (again, a Samba-related mishap). Oh well, at least the kernel panic screen in 10.2 is pretty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts