Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late 2013 MBP, 8 Gig RAM, GT650 GPU. Auto log out is NOT set in the security settings.
I've read about this after some digging, but the discussion on Apple Support was about Sierra. I never had this problem even up to Sierra, but now in High Sierra I get suddenly logged out when I'm doing stuff with heavy GPU loading. Firefox and other apps open in the background, (probably with video ads running) and when I'm running Safari and playing with things like Youtube videos, the page stalls, spinning beachball, black screen and then a log in window. It's really irritating that Mac OS is becoming more unstable as it goes forward.

In addition Safari is getting worse and worse. It was useless in its early days, then it got better, and now it regularly freezes while loading a page full of sidebar ads and autoplay videos, like MacWorld, ironically enough.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I 100% agree. I can't get on to my local server consistently and when I do a kernel panic shuts me down when I try to access a folder. Don't get me started with trying to use office with High Sierra. Undo not working, losing whole paragraphs in word, excel is buggy. It really is disgusting to see this from Apple. Their online and phone in support is also horrible now.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
If you mean did I completely erase the drive and start over from scratch, the answer would be no. I followed Apple's instructions to Upgrade from Sierra. Wiping my drive and starting over would be a colossal imposition. I would spend three days punching in passwords and reloading software. Reminiscent of friends whom would spend weekends reinstalling their MS OS. What generally happens when I update, is that the "bugs" eventually go away with no one ever taking responsibility. Pain in the butt! The days of stable software on the Mac, (and iOS) are over. I've been an advocate and exclusive user of everything Apple since my Mac SE. For the past almost 30 years, I've purchased a new Mac (Loaded MacBook Pros since their inception) every three years, until the latest iteration moved the cost of my usual configuration through the roof (pretty much double). Phone prices are nuts too! Since Mr. Jobs left the company, the bean counters and prima donna billionaires are in charge. They now make decisions the old Microsoft way... how much money can we extract from the public, while the technical types are relegated to navel-gazing. Forget about Steve's mantra, "just focus on the product and the money (who cares) will come. I digress! Sorry

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I do a daily bootable clone backup as well as using Time Machine which eliminates the need for the troubles you experience with passwords and software. Every thing is stored in keychain and is retrieved from whichever source I use to reinstall data and normally takes me a couple of hours to complete. I find this to be time well spent for stability with a new OS.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I do a daily bootable clone backup as well as using Time Machine which eliminates the need for the troubles you experience with passwords and software. Every thing is stored in keychain and is retrieved from whichever source I use to reinstall data
Hi Don

Do you mean that the process would be as follows:

- TM backup
- 'R' startup and reinstall OS from the boot partition
- Update to latest OS
- Restore from TM (assumes that the OS will know which OS settings files to bring over and which ones to leave behind)?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I 100% agree. I can't get on to my local server consistently and when I do a kernel panic shuts me down when I try to access a folder. Don't get me started with trying to use office with High Sierra. Undo not working, losing whole paragraphs in word, excel is buggy. It really is disgusting to see this from Apple. Their online and phone in support is also horrible now.
Greg

We often confuse developers not putting an Apple upgrade high enough on their priority list. I'm currently having a screaming match with Canon because they've upgraded the scanning software of their all-in ones but not the pro scanners. MS is often behind the curse (press euphemism button)

I guess the solution is often to wait for the .1 or even .2 version. I jumped the gun slightly because of the public wifi problem...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Hi Don

Do you mean that the process would be as follows:

- TM backup
- 'R' startup and reinstall OS from the boot partition
- Update to latest OS
- Restore from TM (assumes that the OS will know which OS settings files to bring over and which ones to leave behind)?
Since the bootable clone takes only about 15 minutes a day and is an auto function with Carbon Copy Cloner, it is always at the ready, as it the TM backup, both on external but separate HDs. (First time you create either backup can take several hours though.)

If you don't erase the HD before installing the new OS, the data remains intact as the new OS installs, so no need to reinstall. That is what usually causes glitches for me, so a clean install removes any such software bugs.

Here is the process in detail:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-clean-install-macos-3637409/

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I've had a couple of issues that often lead to a hard poweroff/poweron. I chalked it up to booting from a Thunderbolt drive, and lived with it.

Since the latest update, my external drives no longer appear in finder, but are accessible under /Volumes in a shell. Also getting MacOS error: -67050 for mdworker spammed in console.

But hooray for 70 more emoji!

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
But hooray for 70 more emoji!
I almost choked when I read many notices and reviews announcing the latest iOS "improvements".

This is typical:
The most notable addition is a large crop of new emoji—more than 70 new characters—including new food (pie! Chinese takeout boxes!), creatures (mermaids! Fairies! Vampires!), expressions (sillier faces!), animals (giraffes! Hedgehogs! Dinosaurs!), and more. You’ll need iOS 11.1 to both send and receive these new emoji—otherwise, you’ll just see a generic empty box.
https://www.macworld.com/article/3235139/ios/ios-11-1-has-70-new-emoji-and-it-s-available-now.html

Just amazing!! Such advances and one needs to spend almost a $1,000.00± to even use them.

Mind boggling actually… :rolleyes:

https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=_Nv7WbDLH4eR-QPLpJ7gCg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts