Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Off topic... Dates and times should be correct on ehMac board again (As of this posting). More information on date and time posted too. (October 7th, 2002 instead of 10,07,02 etc...)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Get used to it.

iTools used to go down all the time. My iDisk used to be as slow as molasses in Winnipeg. I don't see how paying for the service would somehow improve things at all, and I sure as heck didn't want to get sucked into the $150 per year trap of using it.

Luckily, Uncle Steve's RDF is pretty weak way up here, and I forsee a painful death for .Mac, (along the lines of eTown, dead in a year), and all the other pay-per-use schemes Apple has come up with.

I mean, what's the big advantage, anyways? Virus protection? I thought Macs weren't particularly vunerable to those, especially since most Mac userts are using Mail. Backup? 100MB of disk space is a sad amount for a backup, and not to mention, with the glacial speed of the iDisk, a backup of that size could take hours, even on a high-speed connection. Garbage, all of it.

Unless .Mac comes down to about $20 per year, or an $100 INDEFINITE account, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole, and I feel sorry for everyone that has.

-SJ.

·
Registered
259 Posts
.Mac is too expensive for what you get. Period.

Never mind the free virus stuff, which is pretty much useless anyways. Never mind the backup stuff, which you can do with an Applescript and a blank CD. iSync is available as a free download.

Just as an example, HostCo will give you 200MB of disk space (twice as much), 10 e-mail accounts (10 times as much), 10 FTP accounts, 1 SMTP account, PERL access, a working cgi-bin directory to make your fancy-shmancy web pages and BBSes, webmail, formmail, unlimited e-mail aliases, Flash support, and a very fast 10/100 connection. No monthly traffic restrictions, which I'll bet Apple will do, and has in the past. All this for $10 a month. That's $120 per year, which costs the same as what .Mac will cost you next year.

Why would you want less for more? Is it because of the "iDisk"? You can always just FTP to your account using Transmit or Fetch. Is it because of the "perks", like crappy shareware? How about a real incentive, like videoconferencing, or a free copy of Unreal Tournament, or something like that?

Listen, I don't mean to be all negative on Apple here, but I've seen this pattern before. I'll stand behind Uncle Steve all the way, but watch yourselves on this one. You might just get it in the pants with .Mac.

-SJ.

PS: iSync doesn't work with anything but Addressbook, therefore leaving us poor chumps with Entourage and Outlook Express out in the lurch. But then again, that's just me, and 99.9% of all the other people in the corporate world who are forced to use it.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I have a totally different viewpoint on .Mac. I love the service and would be hard pressed to do without it. I find the connection to the .Mac account via Backup, iDisk, through iPhoto etc.. to be very fast on both Cable and DSL.

Backup is a really nice included utility that you can use to backup to your .Mac account but also to CD or DVD. Very simple, clean backup solution with restore function.

I use iPhoto all the time and the ability to create a really quick, nice clean web page from my photos complete with online slideshow etc... is awesome.

Using iDisk as a quick, easy to access FTP site has been used a lot to for newspapers and magazines to grab the ad layouts I do for work.

.Mac Webmail is by far the best looking, easiest to navigate webmail interface I have ever used.

If the outages escalate, I'll be upset but they haven't been too bad considering they're just about to do this big flick of the switch when all these accounts get transferred and deleted. (Speed might even increase more too). I haven't come across any internet service that hasn't had outages once in a while. Its a little much right now but I'm guessing its just the transition.

The thing is, .Mac is just going to keep getting better. Now you can sync with multiple machines with iSync on .Mac. More and more services will be added. Plus little free perks here and there like free games etc...

.Mac will not disappear, if anything they will lower the price. Certainly everyone is free to vote with their dollar. But please, don't feel sorry for me.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I'm going to state my opinion as fact. Period. :rolleyes: Had to double check who was posting there... thought Trevor had returned.

What you described as being around the same price and a competitor to .Mac is close yet not the same at all to .Mac.

I don't know, nor have the time to create an AppleScript to backup all the right files and folders with the click of a button to DVD or CD or to an offsite WebDav server and then have it restore automatically.

The Hostco service is just a web hosting service. It doesn't build me a web page and online slideshow in seconds from photos in my iPhoto Library with the click of a button and have an option to automatically email friends, family and coworkers the url. Its doesn't have 50+ nicely designed templates of web sites for sharing movies, pictures, files etc.. Plus there are a lot more little things like the iDisk Utility for mounting multiple iDisks and accesing other people's public folders.

And, as I said... Apple will keep adding other services and features.

You may not use virus protection software and a lot of Mac users don't because there are barely any viruses for the Mac... but its not technically impossible. If one has documents they don't want to lose for any reason at all, which I do, than virus protection isn't a bad idea and it gives added peace of mind.

I love .Mac. I think its a good value. And its going to keep getting better.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0210/07.mac.php

Some info on the .Mac outage - doesn't sound like good news. Apparently Apple had problems with their current hardware vendor and are switching vendors. I wonder what Apple means by equipment? Communications equipment or server equipment? I would have assumed Apple are using their own servers for this and not some Intel or Unix boxes.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Actually, I've gotten so used to .Mac that I am starting to worry about the dependency.... As for 100 Mb for backup, it is piddly but I only back up my resources (addressbook, etc) and it takes about 5 Mb. The rest of my account is used for photos, etc. Outages are a pain but, ehMax, I lurve the convenience of .Mac.

I upgraded my kids iMac to Jag this weekend and set up the .Mac screensaver. Another cool idea. BTW, the iMac is 400 MHz and runs pretty well under 10.2. My kids love it (mainly because they now have IM 3.0....).

I've set it up with 4 accounts. Anyone know how to put the machine to sleep after logging out? Or can you only sleep it as a logged in user?

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
SpanishJoe,

I think that you can use iSync with Entourage via a Palm device. Since iSync simply uses the Palm HotSync manager conduits, if you sync a Palm device with Entourage, you can then sync with .Mac, iCal, etc. I say "think" because I don't use Entourage.

I also don't see much point in the .Mac debate. For some of us without the time or inclination to delve into the intricacies of web hosting, .Mac is a bargain and a convenience. For others who prefer non-Apple options, .Mac is clearly overkill and over-priced. I do hope that Apple does not try to stratify the market by making non .Mac subscribers second class citizens (e.g. by denying core services that should be integral to the OS). That would ultimately drive many away from the platform. As it stands, .Mac should provide additional, non-core services to those willing to pay for them. iCal is a good example as you can host your iCal on any WebDAV server. It's just a bit easier to do it on the .ical.mac.com server.

Thanks for correcting the time ehMax. Was wondering whether you were sharing Jobs reality distortion field.....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by ehMax:
I'm going to state my opinion as fact. Period. :rolleyes: Had to double check who was posting there... thought Trevor had returned.

Ha!

No, TM hasn't returned. And I will miss the quicky web page creation tools, but have managed to replace them with freeware that does a pretty good job, for example, the BetterHTMLExporter plug-in for iPhoto makes a really nice page that you can customize, assuming you know a little HTML.

Which most beginners don't.

.Mac is a great tool that I wish Uncle Steve made affordable. I used to use it all the time. I would pay $20 for much less disk space and none of the extras. Per year. For me, and a bunch of other people, $150 (including 2 e-mail addresses for my wife and I) per year, ad infinitum, is far too much, and I can't be the only one in this forum that thinks so.

It would make a difference as well if .Mac had some sort of Canadian connection. If the charges were in CDN dollars, and no conversion had to be made. Perhaps a slight consideration for us Canadian folks who have to pay double what the people in the States do. It's that way with hardware, why can't it be that way with software?

Anyways, the .Mac thing has been ranted out in many many other threads a long long time ago, and I'm sorry I brought it up.

-SJ.

PS: but if .Mac dies by next year, I'll be the first to say "I told you so"...

:D ;)

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I do hope that Apple does not try to stratify the market by making non .Mac subscribers second class citizens (e.g. by denying core services that should be integral to the OS).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am also very concerend about this idea. Apple really wants people to join. I doubt it's for the profit, I just think they want to further enhance their 'digital lifestyle' persona. The more people that join up, the more easily Apple can justify providing significant improvements to .Mac that may not be available to non-subscribers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>is far too much, and I can't be the only one in this forum that thinks so.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you certainly are not. .Mac does not pass my cost-benefit-analysis.

I personally don't think that Apple does a very good job convincing/teaching people about the capabilities of their software and/or .Mac. But, that may be a different discussion; perhaps for the 'kitchen.'

James

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have to say I like .Mac. If for no other reason than the backup software. i have used other Backup apps and none are as easy or intuitive as Backup.app.
I dont use Homepage, but mounting a WebDAV volume works far better than the finder ftp implementation, plus it works at the click of a button.

I don't expect to see any core services taken away from non subscribers, but you can bet there will be extras in future apps for subscribers. Rumours currently paint an interesting picture of the future or Sherlock and .Mac integration.

There are other hosting services out there, but none are as easy in my experience.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I toss my support to SpanishJoe and James_Squared.

.mac is overpriced. period. Too much stuff that IMHO is virtually worthless. Virex is a joke. iDisk is too slow and too small to be effective. And there are plenty of other ways to get free homepages with templates to help the newbie.

Will it get better? Well, maybe.

No doubt, Steve will add features to .mac, but to get my business they'll have to be worthwhile.

.mac looks like the kitchen sink. Throw this in and that in, and don't forget those scraps. . .

The only real value there now is one-time kodak prints.

What's there maybe enough for some, but definitely not for me. For $100 US a year give me something of value.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Again, iDisk is really fast on my Rogers Cable modem. If you're trying over a modem or are in a rural area, maybe its a different story, but my iDisk is really fast. 100 MB of online storage is tons of space to backup contacts, calendars, internet prefs etc.. plus lots of pictures and movies.

Not sure what anyone has against Virex. Its a good virus protection software with regular updates. Very clean, interface with easy to configure preferences.

I use all the features of .Mac, and all of them are well thought out and there is value there. If you don't need to use all the features, .Mac may not be for you but there is value there. There's nothing that is just "thrown in", they all work really well together and are very nicely integrated into Jaguar, iPhoto, iSync, iCal etc...

There is nothing like .Mac on the market today. Not even close. There's FTP, and this seperate package here, and this seperate service there but nothing all brought together like .Mac.

When it keeps getting better and even more people subscribe I'll be the first to say "I told you so." :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts