Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after reading the "Why I use 9.2" thread, I know this might spark quite a debate. But, I will finally be able to use my DP 1 gig G4 soon and want to know which OS version I should use. I have some limited experience in Macs (took some digital photography courses in college) so I'm don't favour either of the available OSs. I have had a PC most of my life.

Which OS do you think is more suited for me, the reliable OS 9.2, or the slower but more stable 10.2? I figure since I have no experience in 9.2 whatsoever, it would be good for me to go straight to Jaguar. It also helps that I have a powerful system.

I will be using my G4 for everyday stuff (internet, word processing, etc), but mostly for video editing (iMovie,FCP)as well as some photo editing (Photoshop).

Thanks for your advice!

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I recently upgraded my G4 to OSX.2. It has been nothing but good times ever since.
The two biggest benefits are multitasking and force quitting. The other perks are not having to mess around with memory alottment and playing russian roulette with the extension manager.
For me, all in all a welcome upgrade which will get better and better.
Robert :confused:
Ps Illustrator rocks in X and I hear Photoshop doesa as well. (saving my pennies for the upgrade.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
r2traps,

Why bother learning an OS that is no longer supported? It won't be updated by Apple and software companies are stopping OS9 development.

From what I can gather, people have become very set in their ways when it comes to the operability of OS9. I've used OS9 (or a variant of the original Mac OS) for the better part of 10 years and am now using OSX exclusively. I can't even remember the last time Classic even booted. I'm one of the many that adopted OSX with open arms. Yes it's different from OS9, but that's the point. You can't take an old OS like OS9 (or Win 3x) and turn it into a modern operating system like OSX with out changing EVERYTHING.

A lot of things in OSX behave the same or similarily to OS9 for the benefit of loyal users and because they make sence even in a modern day operating system. Granted, OSX is far from perfect but OS9 never was either. And years from now when Apple has updated the crap out the OS and we're at version OSX tabby cat or something, there will be about as many OS9 users as there are Newton users (sorry guys). There will always be the few that will cling to the past for whatever reason but why START there?

So to make a long story short, for what you want to use your computer for and the horsepower you'll have under the hood, there is absolutely no reason for you to learn or use OS9. The programs you spoke of are all available in their latest incarnation for OSX. Some are backwards compatible and will also work in OS9, such as Photoshop 7, but many current software versions are X only right now (MS Office X) and, as stated earlier, OS9 development on future software versions just isn't happening anymore. It's too expensive for companies to write 2 versions of the same software to run on the same computer. As of January, Apple computers won't even boot into OS9 (although current machines will and Classic will still work).

I can't wait to hear what others have to say but as far as I'm concerned, why would I learn to drive a horse and buggy when there's this cool new invention called the automobile?

I could go on and on about this but I won't. Instead I'll leave with one last statement to reinforce my OSX slant. "Unreal Tournament 2003 Mac edition will be OSX ONLY" It's true. Look it up.

Macman.

Just came across this. A funny read, especially for OSX users.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I concur wholeheartedly! :D

Despite the trouble that my Pismo seems to have with Jaguar I am convinced that it's the way of the future.

If you are just starting out, and have a powerful G4, then this is a no-brainer.

OSX! :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
OS X all the way. While I wouldn't characterize OS 9 vs X as horse-driven vs automobile, you'll find OS X is zippy for your hardware and OS 9 has never been optimized for dual processors. OS X also has the amazing iPhoto and iSync and iCal and......

It's we ancient Macophiles who have been nurtured on OS 7/8/9 that find OS X something of an adjustment, not new folk running current hardware.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

Go straight to OS X. I just started using Macs in June and I never boot into 9 anymore. I did a few times to play some video games that need input sprockets, but I've managed to get a handle on Gamepad Companion, which lets me use my Gamepad in OS X. I've been playing quite a bit of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, lately.

The only reason I boot into 9 is if I need to delete a file that the computer just won't let me delete. I haven't figured out how to do this in Terminal, however. Sometimes, OS X just won't let me get rid of a file. It says I don't have permission or that the file is in use, even though I know I have permission and I know the file isn't in use. It can be very frustrating, but that's another story. If I can figure out how to delete from Terminal, I think I'll trash OS 9 all together (except for Classic).

I hope you enjoy your machine.

James

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
If you haven't used 9 to any great extent before, and you have a dual processor machine, and you want to use digital cameras/camcorders/other devices, then jump right in on Shaguar. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

--PB

·
Registered
77 Posts
Go with X. I use 9.2 everyday at work and I just got a new machine at home (eMAC) with X and I'm impressed. Like a previous poster wrote it's like a totally new OS. It has the MAC feel but not close enough to the other MAC OS's I've used to bother trying to compare them. I look at X as being what a MAC always should have been.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Shaguar (as PB and I call it) is sleek, smooth and sexy. Maybe it's that I like alliteration or the desktop pic of Lulu from Final Fantasy X affecting me but that's how I feel about OS X.2 regardless.

In retrospect, 9 is chunky and crashes in ways that incur excessive curse words. Leave it in the dust like Apple is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, Shaguar it is, yeah baby, yeah!

·
Registered
399 Posts
w00t.. lets party like its 2002

·
Registered
814 Posts
TIGER all the way! Not out of date, there are applications to do nearly everything you can imagine! For a newbie to the OS you want the easiest one... Tiger 10.4.8!:D

·
Registered
814 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Too funny. I was wondering why nobody was suggesting upgrading to Tiger.

Man, there should be some sort of warning when a post is over a month old. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts