Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Yes this is yet another NAS thread. I've read a few of them over the past month, new/old and looked at a few solutions:

1. Time Capsule - I've owned a 1TB 1st gen & sold it as I didn't believe MAC filtering was actually working.
2. DLink DNS-323 - Looks like a good solution for simple NAS backup; limited and build quality looks cheap for the price (ext $215-239CAN new)
3. Synology DS210j or DS209

My needs are pretty simple for now and soon going to grow. I've own two Macs - Mac Mini & Al_MB - and currently I'm backing up to a local USB WD MyBook Elite 2TB for the Mini as the family uses it the most. My wife has just got a high-end camera and going to get serious with pictures in RAW format and I figure by end of September our 350GB HDD on the Mini will get full. My Al_uMB will be used for personal surfing, learning XCode and majority for audio production (personal projects).

My main requirement for a NAS is to use my existing DLINK DIR-615 & a Synology DS210j or DS209 for both my Mac's. My critical requirements are:
Remote Time Machine backup directly to the Synology NAS
Remote saving video/audio/pictures from: both Mac's and 2 iPhones (32GB 3GS/16GB IP4)
Saving Video/Pictures/Music/etc to an externally connected (USB/eSATA) drive to the Synology.
Retrieving that content over the network - Mac Mini (which will be upgraded to iMac on Xmas), MB and the iPhones while at home and also remotely.
Sharing Music/Pictures/Video content from externally connected HDD (Synology connected) to the AppleTV 2nd Gen to watch on LCDTV.

The part I'm not sure I can do is getting time machine backups working without issue from my Al_uMB remotely - WAN - outside of the house without having a Me.com/Mac.com account.

Also in this mix is to somehow get iWeb to distribute a website - for my wife - with content from the Synology solution internal/external HDD (with its content backed up).

Is what I'm after possible and which of the Synology's the best for my needs??

Thank you all.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know if this will work. Now I'm new to Macs and certainly no expert and so may well have missed something, but when I first got my iMac, I was planning to use my DLink DNS 321 as backup. While I could see it in Finder, Time Machine could not. I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and it couldn't see it either.

The DNS 321 can only connect via Ethernet and I was using a fairly old Linksys router and that may have been part of the problem; don't know. I checked with Carbon Computing (where I bought my Macs) and they said and I quote "Macs don't do NAS very well or at all. Get a Firewire or USB drive."

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Looking at a few threads have shown recent firmware ugprades to a vast array of NAS solutions for Time Machine and have them working pretty well. Hoping to have a solution this week or next the latest.

I have a LOT of photos inbound from my sister while she's working on a boat cruise (3rd year) and she's really great at her art - Dancing (Jazz, Acro, impromptu, Tap, etc) & Choreographing that I'm really excited about. She actually got me into Mac.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
147 views on this topic and only 1 reply - thank you DIS Ottawa for replying; much appreciated.

Somebody here must be able to offer advice with experience with their NAS with their own router suggestions.
Anybody?

thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've been looking to do something similar. I am looking at a Synology or Drobo. I really don't know enough about them to help you, just hoping to see some helpful advice in this thread for you that may also help me.

I am trying to find out if you can have a partitioned drive mirrored in a raid set-up, Raid 1 I'm guessing? Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
147 views on this topic and only 1 reply - thank you DIS Ottawa for replying; much appreciated.

Somebody here must be able to offer advice with experience with their NAS with their own router suggestions.
Anybody?

thanks.
Sorry jagga I would comment as I make heavy use of my Synology NAS, but I do not use Time Machine. I perform manual back ups, so personally I really can't comment on your main issue.

Have you thought of contacting Synology directly with your questions? BTW they have a community forum on their site. You may want to (if you haven't already) post your OP here on their forum and see if you get some answers that way.

I hope you get the answers you need from someone. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the tips. I will reach out to Synology and see what I can or cannot do. Leaning towards one with dual bay and 3 USB ports and eSata (I've read many times to be insane with my backups).

Wife will have her own MacBook in 30days & I myself will be learning Audio composition so I don't want to loose anything I've learned or created and nothing my wife creates as she's going full out with her pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts