Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident ******
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’m using 2012 Mac Mini running 10.13 and today all the sudden it started going to a black screen then the notice comes up that there is a problem and must shut down.

Any ideas why this is happening and how I might fix it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,806 Posts
As the message says, you have a problem. Can you think of anything that you might have added or installed recently that may need to be deleted?

First off, try booting into Safe Boot Mode from a cold start and pressing and holding the shift key as soon as you see the gray boot up screen (the same as the boot chime) then login And run Disk Utility and do as many repairs or first aid Routines on your Boot volume that you can,

Sounds like you have some sort of conflict that you'll have to resolve.

Do you have a recent clone backup you can boot from??

You may even need to boot from your recovery drive using command plus R at boot or restart time and select disk utility from the utility and do as many repairs or first aid as you can from it.

see if any of those can help solve your problem.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Hey, high time to clean up the EH Mac Apple act here gents! Now or nevermore.
As we were! Go for it!

·
Premium Member
15,806 Posts
Hey, high time to clean up the EH Mac Apple act here gents! Now or nevermore.
As we were! Go for it!

+1!!!

I totally agree and it's really quite bad in some threads I can't believe I peeked at, mainly to see if anything had actually improved in so many threads.

It seems a crime that so many seem to like to carry on playing in the discussion sandboxes that are full of cat sh*t and more. Quite sad. Especially for a Canadian Mac Comminity site.

Maybe it's time to try and make it great again.

Sorry to copy the phrase, but it's close to the same caliber if some things don't change.

- Patrick
======

·
Resident ******
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Disk utility didn’t find anything wrong.

I tried restoring from a time machine backup (don’t have a clone backup) but now when I restart it just goes back to the recovery mode. I also tried reinstalling the OS from recovery mode but my startup disk doesn’t show up as the target drive.

Any suggestions?

Maybe I’ll try to install the OS from a bootable install drive then try to do the time machine restore again...

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Do you have an external bootable drive? Ideally I would try booting and running from there. If that works the problem is very likely your HD. If it does not work could still be a wonky HD.

I know with the MacPro when the main HD went down it would not boot from a good secondary drive until I pulled the main HD.

·
Premium Member
15,806 Posts
I tried restoring from a time machine backup (don’t have a clone backup)
FWIW: I don't use Time Machine, but I have been told it has been bootable for some years now. But I'm not sure of the exact method but you could try looking here:
bootup from a time machine backup
https://www.google.com/search?q=boo...e..69i57j0.13142j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And eMacMan makes some very valid points that you should check out.

Also, check out this article to see uf there's someting obvious you could try:
https://blog.macsales.com/45723-mac-installation-errors-you-may-encounter-and-how-to-fix-them

And especially in this article:
How to Fix Mac Keeps Restarting Issue. Easily!
https://www.supereasy.com/how-to-fix-mac-keeps-restarting-issue-easily/

Just maybe, something might work, Hopefully...

PS: Did Booting up using Safe Boot Mode help at all Or even work???

- Patrick
======

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
Do you have an external bootable drive? Ideally I would try booting and running from there. If that works the problem is very likely your HD. If it does not work could still be a wonky HD.

I know with the MacPro when the main HD went down it would not boot from a good secondary drive until I pulled the main HD.
On the other hand, are there any external drives connected when the system fails? A failing drive could cause all sorts of problems if it's on the bus. I would try with only essentials connected (kb, mouse)

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
On the other hand, are there any external drives connected when the system fails? A failing drive could cause all sorts of problems if it's on the bus. I would try with only essentials connected (kb, mouse)
Good catch. That's such an essential part of Trouble Shooting 101, that I tend to take it for granted and fail to mention it. Certainly worth mentioning.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
So Disk utility didn’t find anything wrong.

I tried restoring from a time machine backup (don’t have a clone backup) but now when I restart it just goes back to the recovery mode. I also tried reinstalling the OS from recovery mode but my startup disk doesn’t show up as the target drive.

Any suggestions?

Maybe I’ll try to install the OS from a bootable install drive then try to do the time machine restore again...
Could you post a screenshot of which partitions show up in Disk Utility when started up in Recovery mode?

If need be, you can take a pic with your smartphone.

Thanx!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts