Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just a little bit of a gripe.

The Mac Mini looks like a good deal to lure in new users... BUT... when you do the math it's really not that great of a deal.

You're basically getting a repackaged CPU from a current eMac or a previous generation iMac without the required peripherals to actually do anything.

I did as close of a feature for feature comparison as possible on the BTO Apple Canada store and this is what I came up with.

A new Mac Mini at 1.42 Ghz with a 80 GB drive, 256 MB Ram, Superdrive, 20" Cinema Display and a wired Mouse and Keyboard comes out to $2206.

The 20" iMac G5 is $2399. So for an extra $193 I'm getting the same Ram, same Superdrive, same size monitor, and the keyboard and mouse. In addition to that I'm getting an upgraded G5 processor at 1.8 Ghz, double the hard drive space at 160 GB and running as a serial ATA, and a vastly better NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB video memory. Not to mention the ability to run 64 bit programs, hardware that is not already obsolete, more (and cheaper) Ram upgradeability, stereo speakers (does anyone know if the Mac Mini has a speaker?), more IO ports and less cable clutter on my desktop.

Not sure about you but that sounds like pretty good value for a measly $193!

Just my opinion though. I'm sure it'll make sense to the countless thousands that'll snatch them up like hot cakes. Go Apple! I fully support them offering computers like this to appeal to switchers but to me the math just doesn't add up.

Macman.

·
Registered
693 Posts
For a product like the mac mini, you really have to look at exactly the target market. It is not for the already mac user.

It is for the average joe PC user that is fed up with all the problems that go along with the Windows world. They want to surf the net, check their email, write documents, etc. without having the stupid thing crash every few minutes/get hundreds of virii.

They heard enough about to mac platform to understand that it is what they want, and they are on the border of switching. But they have already invested money in that newish LCD monitor that they heard would be better to look at for extended periods, or have a CRT monitor that they are happy with. They also have this nice keyboard and mouse. They want to switch, but they don't want to throw down +$1000 and wasting that monitor.

Enter the mac mini. The right performance for average joe, with all the perks of the mac world. And the price to rival the budget computer that they would be looking at as their next computer.

Will existing mac users buy mac minis? Probably not. But it is the perfect solution for the market that Apple has left untapped for so long.

My applause to Apple.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I agree, it's totally a switcher machine. The "instructional" images even say "hook up your old PC keyboard, mouse and monitor."

I don't even use the mouse or keyboard that came with my mac, but I paid for them... I think they're on to a good little marketing switch here--most macs come with everything, and people say "wow they're expensive," then one comes along with nothing and people say "wow, it's cheap," and they won't realize they have to buy everything until the salesman moves to the "add-ons" section.

Though having DVI and therefore the ability to use the cinema displays is pretty sweet, I don't think that's what most people will do.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm curious why the Mac Mini doesn't sport a G5 processor? Seems kinda weird. The all-in-one iMac G5 has one and it seems to be about the same width as the Mac Mini? Hmmmmmm... :confused:

I guess they couldn't fit enough fans into the Mac Mini to cool down the G5 processor?

Anyone know why Apple would go with the G4 and not the G5? Maybe it's in the keynote speech which I haven't seen yet...don't mind me just babbling. :nuts:

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Even if you did buy it with a 20" display, you'd have bought something that a lot of people value: the ability to replace the computer in a few years without ditching a perfectly good monitor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iMatt said:
Even if you did buy it with a 20" display, you'd have bought something that a lot of people value: the ability to replace the computer in a few years without ditching a perfectly good monitor.
This is a good point. What is kind of ironic though is that if I bought a Mac Mini today and wanted to use my current "perfectly good monitor", which is a previous model Cinema Display LCD, I'd also have to buy a $129 Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter. Too funny!

Macman.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The purpose is to get those that already have a monitor to purchase the mac mini, to get iPod users who love the "mac" interface on the iPod and are familiar with iTunes over to the mac platform. Those people already have a Windows PC (all personal computers, even macs are PCs, but the name has been synonymous with Windows computers for ages), and so they have a separate monitor, mouse and keyboard ready to go.

If you bought the 2-" Cinema display, you would have what looks to be a larger monitor than on the 20" iMac, and i think if you look at buying that, you will also consider the iMac. Or you won't source your monitor from Apple, you'll go to another vendor for a cheaper LCD, perhaps Formac.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I will be buying a Mac Mini. I presently have an iMac G4. When I first bought it I thought the LCD screen was great, after further use it started to annoy me. I started off doing a little bit of graphic design on it (this being the reason I originally "switched"), I do a lot more now and it is really hard to adjust the LCD to be colour correct. I am happy with the processor speed and hard drive space I have now but I would love a nice 19 inch CRT that can be callobrated easily. I would also like a superdrive.

Betty Fooz

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding the average Mac user today when they heard the news of the Mac mini.

The most number one requested future from ALL and EVERY Mac bulletin board that exists on the web from last year wanted:

A headless Mac so that they can hook it up to their already available LCD or CTR monitor, keyboard and mouse. This wasn't even big news or that big of a request from PC users. This came from sites like MacNN, Macworld, MacAddict and even here at ehMac and that is only a short list of sites. Then there is ZDnet who also had requests from Mac users and many digital photo sites also talked of a headless Mac and that was the number one request.

The Mac mini is for the person who owns a monitor, keyboard and mouse and is looking for a cheap starter Mac, cheap alternative, cheap add on to a home network etc.. Most likely the PC users will play an important role in the market as they are always looking for a cheap priced computer. That is the bottom line and Apple is not marketing towards those that want to start from scratch, that's why they have the iMac line up or the eMac line up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
mac mini is great

The mac mini is not meant for YOU! It's meant for that 80% of computer users who only use it for basic stuff. More specifically the family and friends of mac heads (us) and those who have said the oh so popular phrase "I think i'd get a mac if they were cheaper".

This is the call to those people to keep the display, keyboard and mouse... BYODKM... and buy a sweet mac that they can either lightly use and be happy with, or with any luck, use for the iapps and realize the benefits of the higher end macs, and then of course buy an imac or emac or ibook... whatever..

If marijuana is the gateway drug (which I'm not entirely convinced it is)

Then mac mini is the gateway mac (and I'm glad they've decided to fulfill this niche that, let's face it, wasn't being filled by apple before)

·
Registered
247 Posts
it's also good for mac users who already ahve a powerful computer and just need somethign for the family, say their kids, or they parents to use on. for example, my mom uses a pc to do excel, word, browse web, check mail, etc. this is the perfect opportunity to get her to stop complaining about that POS, and let her use a mac instead.

with a little nudge from me, i'm pretty sure the last PC in our house would be gone soon, replace with the mini.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ravijo said:
This is the call to those people to keep the display, keyboard and mouse... BYODKM... and buy a sweet mac that they can either lightly use and be happy with, or with any luck, use for the iapps and realize the benefits of the higher end macs, and then of course buy an imac or emac or ibook... whatever..
As a non-Mac user, I'm confused by this statement.

iBooks: 1.2-1.4ghz, 512k l2 cache @ processor speed, 133mhz bus
mini: 1.25-1.42ghz, 512k l2 cache @ processor speed, 167mhz bus
iBooks: base 256mb pc2100 ram
mini: base 256mb pc 2700 ram
iBooks: base 30-60gb HD
mini: base 40-80gb HD

How is the iBook a step "up"? As far as I can tell, eMac vs. mini stacks up about the same. Am I missing something?

I plan to buy a mini ASAP, I've always wanted a mac but didn't want to put out the amount of cash necessary all at once (like others have said, I already have an LCD, etc. and didn't want to replace it for no reason)

I haven't used a Mac in years, so forgive me for asking another basic question. Should I bother paying to add-in bluetooth or airport now if I have no immediate need for either? I assume it would cost more to add-in later on?

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
We have lots of spare monitors, KBs and mice at work: we also have a need for a computer to be used by staff in the lunchroom so they can access private mail, surf etc. The Mini is perfect for this task. It could also create a few switchers...

My dad needs a computer for his cottage. Again, this is perfect as he is a classic iLifer: mail, surfing, photos etc.

There is also scope here for the Ed and corporate markets. For everyday tasks this machine is fine. In terms of power it's pretty much like an eMac. An external HD is an inexpensive way to add more space if needed.

For the target markets it's a great deal.

My only gripe is the usual one: installed RAM is too low and in this case it can only be changed by a dealer. A straight 512 would have made it much more effective.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I`ll probably buy one as well as I have the necessary hardware to go along with the Mac Mini from my PC, like everyone the bummer is the 256mb of ram and the memory not being able to be replaced by the user is a kick in the ass as well.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
It's still early for this product and we all know that profits are made in the
introduction stage, Impulse buyers just have to be first to get something new.

I'm sure that Apple will start with some promotions soon like rebates on RAM
upgrades or discounts on Final Cut Express HD etc.

One thing for sure though...Love the price of the warranty on the MacMini.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
stargurl said:
I haven't used a Mac in years, so forgive me for asking another basic question. Should I bother paying to add-in bluetooth or airport now if I have no immediate need for either? I assume it would cost more to add-in later on?
Firstly, the emac does have roughly the same specs, however, as I already am a mac user, the eMac means that I get my computer all in one (CRT, and speakers is a huge thing for me) and my keyboard and mouse are given to me. Also, the eMac has a number of things, like two firewire ports, an audio in, and an easier to upgrade optical.

you WILL get a discount on both AP and BT if you install them BTO. I didn't bother with BT because I likely wasn't going to use it (still haven't needed it yet). BT is pretty much something you choose to get built in or not have at all. Whereas AP you can add anytime.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Add the BT option if you can...

ravijo said:
BT is pretty much something you choose to get built in or not have at all.
I would put both bluetooth and AP in at the time of order. The wireless benefits are awesome and can be activated when you're ready.

Mac Mini + wireless keyboard and mouse = clean desktop
Mac Mini + Airport Express base station = wireless printing anywhere in your home/office and music through a real stereo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Again, as a non-mac user, I'd choose the mini over an emac any day. The eMac is far too big for my workspace, and I wouldn't miss audio in or a second firewire port. I've got both on my PC, and I've never used either.

As a PC user, I already have a monitor, wireless mouse/kb set and speakers that I've invested in. I like the fact that I'm not paying to get these items bundled in, as I would have no use for them.

I think the only changes I'll make will be to up the ram to 512mb and add an Airport card.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
while i tend to agree this machine will be great for switchers, i think it would be good for existing mac users who just need a machine for home use and detest the all in one concept.

i have an icekey, logitech mx700 wireless mouse, and 21" apple studio display. up till now, it was these items which prevented me from considering a low end new mac for home use.

the fact that the mini mac does not accept regular airport cards through an accessible slot is a bit of an annoyance to me. the ram options are crap too.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
stargurl said:
Again, as a non-mac user, I'd choose the mini over an emac any day. The eMac is far too big for my workspace, and I wouldn't miss audio in or a second firewire port. I've got both on my PC, and I've never used either.

As a PC user, I already have a monitor, wireless mouse/kb set and speakers that I've invested in. I like the fact that I'm not paying to get these items bundled in, as I would have no use for them.

I think the only changes I'll make will be to up the ram to 512mb and add an Airport card.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you already have a wireless mouse and keyboard, shouldn't you definitely be getting Bluetooth built-in?

1 - 20 of 159 Posts