Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In the middle of deleting an email the other day, Mac Mail "unexpectedly quit". For some reason, the email I was deleting won't go away, and I have an email sitting in my inbox, but the letters are lighter. If I try to delete it, it won't let me, but gives me the option to undelete. I can't drag it to the trash...it just won't go away. It's not doing any damage, but I'd like to get rid of it.

Any ideas?

Alan S.

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
A log out and back in or a full shut down and reboot would be the first things I would try.

Is Mail quitting unexpectedly a one time thing or does it happen on a frequent basis?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
rebuild your mail box..
go to the menu mailbox then at the bottom select rebuild
but be sure to back up your mail first..
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

The reboot didn't work...Mail has quit before, but I wouldn't say it's frequent. Once or twice.

The rebuilding sounds risky. I'd rather not try it.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts

The reboot didn't work...Mail has quit before, but I wouldn't say it's frequent. Once or twice.

Any other ideas?
Not risky if you have a backup (which you should always, always have anyway!!) - see the link in rgray's post for instructions and info.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts

Any other ideas?
I've been using Mail (10.6.8) seriously since Feb. this year and have had to use its 'rebuild' about 6 times to fix some of its quirks without any bad results, if fact the rebuild fixed each issue each time.

I have a current backup, but Eudora is still in use - just in case and have not needed to rely on either.

And I'd sure head rgray's comment!!

What is risky is not doing required maintenance.............. :rolleyes:
+1!!!

·
TheOldProf
3 Posts
I get the feeling that the newer OSes, (I'm still running Tiger on this particular machine,) have some inherent issues with Mail? This old (2007) iMac runs 24/7/365 with (currently 4638 messages 771 unread,) in my inbox, and have NEVER had the slightest glitch...Didn't even KNOW you could re-build the mailbox...

What OS you running?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts