Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my mac mail connected to my email but it's all black and hard to read. I did manage to get the mail messages to be white with black text again but the list of messages is white text on black and hard to read. I can't tell what's been opened and what hasn't.

How can I fix this when I've already unchecked "dark mode" in mail prefs?

I'm running OS Mojave 10.14.4 on a 2014 MBP.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It looks like I'm stuck trying to read white text on black in the list view of all my emails. Very annoying. I like dark mode in some places but I agree with the article that it would be nice to choose to go light for reading text....all text, not just the email bodies.

I appreciate your looking. I'm starting to think I need to find another mail program than Mac Mail. I can't even zoom in to make the text big enough to read easily. And, it's my work email so I need it to be user friendly.

....sigh....

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
You think that's bad? Dark Mode implementation in Mojave still needs some work... I use text snippets quite frequently.

Try dragging text out of Mail onto your desktop to create a clipping.

Now open the text clipping.

Isn't that interesting.....?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
You think that's bad? Dark Mode implementation in Mojave still needs some work... I use text snippets quite frequently.

Try dragging text out of Mail onto your desktop to create a clipping.

Now open the text clipping.

Isn't that interesting.....?
How do you drag text out of Mail? I tried highlighting and dragging and dropping but nothing works.

Also just out of curiosity why not just copy and paste into a document that you are working with?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also just out of curiosity why not just copy and paste into a document that you are working with?
It's when I'm looking at my Inbox with the listing of all the emails. And actually any folder. All the details of who it's from, when it arrived and the subject line in white is hard to read. Combined with small text and it's really annoying to try to read. (any way to increase the size of the text? I've looked before but not found any way.... and not the font in the email, the font size when looking at the Inbox, etc.)

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
How can I fix this when I've already unchecked "dark mode" in mail prefs?

Maybe give this suggestion a try:
Alright, here’s how to change the Mac Mail background back to white:

Enable Dark Mode in System Preferences -> General -> Appearance -> Dark

Then, launch Mail -> Use Command +, keyboard shortcut or click Mail then Preferences in the top left corner of the menu bar

Click the Viewing section and uncheck “Use dark mode for Messages”
https://www.newyorkcomputerhelp.com...fix-black-screen-remains-after-mojave-update/

PS: Are you using Mail's "Classic" List View option, if its still available as an option in Mojave.

EDIT:
Also this maybe:
Use dark backgrounds for messages

Show messages in the preview area and new messages you’re writing with a dark background (when this option is selected) or a light background (when this option isn’t selected). This option is available only if you selected the Dark appearance in General System Preferences.

When this option is selected, you can switch to a light background while viewing or writing a message. Choose View > Message > Show with Light Background. To see the message with a dark background again, choose View > Message > Show with Dark Background.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mail/change-viewing-preferences-cpmlprefview/mac

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
Aw heck, here's another possibility that looks like a good possible solution:

How to switch between Dark and Light Mode specifically for emails in Mail on macOS Mojave
https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/08/20/howto-dark-light-mode-apple-mail-app/

Aw phooy, just use this google search for a fix and use one of the suggestions that hopefully works for you:
Mac Mojave Mail view list in black text
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mac...57j69i64l3.30159j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Try calibrating your monitor.
This is not a colour accuracy issue but a light and dark mode issue with the OS itself. Calibrating a monitor will not effect this other then fine tuning the colour you already see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is not a colour accuracy issue but a light and dark mode issue with the OS itself. Calibrating a monitor will not effect this other then fine tuning the colour you already see.
I love the internet, such negativity for no reason.

Why not let the OP try it out? Calibrating a monitor may affect this. I've fixed more than one Mac with black Mail preview that way. It wasn't with white type but it won't hurt to try will it?

I have to admit, the first time a customer called me about it I Googled it and saw calibrate the monitor. I thought it curious that would affect it. But I had faith and tried. It worked.

From an Apple discussion about it.

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
I have to admit, the first time a customer called me about it I Googled it and saw calibrate the monitor. I thought it curious that would affect it. But I had faith and tried. It worked.

Perhaps, the display in question had been way out of calibration for some time and even prior to upping to Mojave??? ;-)

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I love the internet, such negativity for no reason.

Why not let the OP try it out? Calibrating a monitor may affect this. I've fixed more than one Mac with black Mail preview that way. It wasn't with white type but it won't hurt to try will it?

From an Apple discussion about it.
I love the internet because people take something as negative for no reason. You can read it how you will, but it was not negative.

The issue he is talking about is with dark mode and not colour accuracy which is what calibrating would adjust. If the monitor was so far out of whack that it was displaying completely different colours I would say there is a hardware problem that can probably not be solved by software adjustments.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I'll check these out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts