Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another forum I am on has a user that is trying to install Windows 11 in Parallels on their M1 Mac. Has anyone got any ideas on if this is possible?

The Microsoft FAQ for Windows 11 does not list the M1 chip as compatible with Windows 11. But then again, it says my 5 year old Windows laptop with intel i5-5200U is not compatible????

·
Registered
732 Posts
Short answer doesn't work.

M1 cpu is an ARM. Windows 11 has no support for ARM. You can get it installed and running in an emulator (parallels, virtualbox, etc.) but in short order it will start throwing errors and bluescreens.

·
Super Moderator
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did a little more research on this and found on the Parallel's web site that they have been able to get an Arm version of Windows 10 to install. So there may be hope in the future for a Win 11 Arm version to work with Parallels.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Thanks. I did a little more research on this and found on the Parallel's web site that they have been able to get an Arm version of Windows 10 to install. So there may be hope in the future for a Win 11 Arm version to work with Parallels.
I upgraded to Parallels 17 today as I need to move to Catalina with the latest updates of Adobe needing that OS or higher. It does say ready for the M1 chips and Windows 11, though I think it means it can run Windows 11, but not necessarily on an M1 chip. Can you download a demo and give it a try?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts