Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MacMini 10.13.6 has developed a most annoying fault. The sound vanishes and videos freeze. Some programmes are also affected. I have restored the OS (Cmd-T) but the problem persists, however, I can change it back to normal operation by quitting everything, accessing Activity Monitor and quitting 'Coreaudiod' - which immediately restores all functions. The Mac then works normally for a few hours or more before relapsing once again. I used to have 'AudioHijack' installed which I was told was maybe a contributor but I have tried to remove all traces of that application from the system. Apart from that nothing else untoward ~~~~(as far as I know) .....has been added. Obviously there is something buried within the Library which is causing the problem and the only solution I can see is to completely trash the HD. and begin a virgin install - and what a pain that will be because I cannot use a backup as it too may be affected.

Any ideas please?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
How did you remove audiohijack? There might be virtual devices left behind. There's an uninstall option in the application's menu. If you didn't use it you might need to manually unload some kexts, or you could re-install audiohijack and then use the uninstall option.

See Loopback: Completely uninstalling and removing Loopback as there are other applications by rogueamoeba that use similar kexts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used an application called - 'App Delete' which supposedly checks the home app and supporting files for deletion. I also then went into Library/Application Support and checked - also Library / Plugins where `I also removed Flash Player.
Anyway following the link you kindly sent I have d/led Loopback and Audio HiJack. I shall perhaps install the latter first and try the uninstall option and if that does not work then I will install Loopback and uninstall that.
Your help is much appreciated

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
Have you created a new user account to see if the problem persists there?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did in the early stages and it made no difference. My problem is that obviously there is something buried deep somewhere, either invisible or in an unexplored folder. and I will end up being forced to trash everything and wipe the drive clean- and oh how painful that will be as my backups would contain the same lurker, but I guess that is the only solution.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have re-installed AudioHijack and then used the App to uninstall the component. Same result I am afraid.

·
Premium Member
42,487 Posts
When I have similar problems, I go to the System Preferences and select "Sound." I then "mute" and "unmute" the output device. It always restores the sound.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your input. I get the same result by quitting 'coreaudiod', however, that is only a short term fix as is your suggestion I imagine. The inconvenience and disruption is most annoying. As I see it, the only solution would be a complete reformat and installation, but I was hoping there might be a simpler solution as the extra disruption this would cause is catastrophic and I am sure to lose some data.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts