Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any IT people that visit this site, and what kind of wages they make :confused: if you're willing to share that information.

I graduated from college (3 years "computer" networking) last may and I am just kind of interested of what wages i should expect to be making right now.
:( i make around a mesley $10 right now and i believe I should be getting more

Thanks for you help

·
Registered
113 Posts
level 1 support [help desk, aka entry level grunt work] generally makes between 30-45K. sysadmins generally make between 40-55K depending upon geographic location and size of the organization you're working for. these numbers are for large metropolitan markets such as toronto.

compensation all comes down to economics. for example, if the firm you're working for is a non-profit you're not going to make very much. if you're working for a firm where there are 100 executives that are billing out at $200/hr [such as attorneys] then your worth is significantly more. the more valuable people that depend upon you, the more you're worth.

if you're looking for mac-centric work, your best bet is education or creative. mac-centric networks tend to be fairly small networks [<200 hosts with the majority of mac shops being <50 hosts]. you'll find the largest mac shops to be private educational institutions and biotech.

my suggestion... focus on getting back-end experience such as network administration [preferably cisco-based] and servers. move away from the desktop. when your responsibilities are on the back-end, you affect more people simultaneously.

you'll find that as you move up in rank and salary, your role becomes more business/management and less tech. ultimately, the money is in management. if you decide to make it to the management level, you can venture out into the consulting end. bear in mind that there are various levels of "consulting". if you're able to sell your services to large organizations, generally, the compensation can be anywhere from $80-150/hr [in this current market]. nonetheless, higher compensation means less tech and more business. a business-minded approach is essential.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Lars: It is if you plan on living in New Brunswick. ;)

I'm not kidding. :(

Manny
--
Former Fredericton resident now living in Ottawa because N.B. couldn't support enough new IT workers as fast as they were coming out and kinda sad because he misses his family and friends but is happy because he makes good money as is getting his new house in exactly 3 months and 1 day.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hmm, I am going into networking as well next fall... is this bad news for me? :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts