Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody... question time!

I'm going to Japan in September as an exchange student (my University has a sister school in Tokyo) and I am planning to fiiiiiinally get a MacBook (switching!) when Leopard come out in October-ish. This is good news but raises a couple of questions for me...

1) The Japanese Mac website says "Your Mac can be ordered with an English language (U.S.) style keyboard, or Japanese - the choice is yours." Does anyone know what a Japanese Mac Keyboard looks like? Is is all hiragana? Katakana? Roman and Japanese characters? If it is a mixture then that would be cool, maybe a bit easier for my Japanese typing even, but I want it to be useful for typing in English too.

2) Electricity. If I buy the MacBook in Japan, will it get screwed up when I plug it in back in Canada? If I buy it here will it get scewed up over there? Of course if I buy it here I could use an adapter over there, but if it's the other way around I don't really want to be forced to use an adapter over here for the entire life of the computer. Hmm.

3) Shipping. I'm pretty sure that the Apple Canada store wouldn't ship to Japan, so if I decide to get the Canadian one does this mean I should get it while I'm still in Canada if having my family re-ship it over there will be prohibively expensive/dangerous?

Aaaaanyways, just thought I'd put all that out there in case one of you crazy people has any knowledge about electronics in Japan. Thanks in advance for any tips!

PS, I was just surfing CanadaRam's website and noticed you're based here in Vic... so if you convince me to buy it in Canada that's a bonus for you when I come by to bump my ram, lol.;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
2) All you will need is the right adapter for the power supply. All recent Apple notebooks have a power supply that automagically switches the voltage

3) Buy the notebook here and spend some time with it [though the Japanese keyboard is a nice thing to have I would assume]. Another great thing about Apple is that the warranty is international. If you have any problems with the notebook purchased here, you can still get it worked on in Japan.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
1. I was going to buy my Macbook in Japan, but the keyboard is why I didn't. The Japanese keyboard has hiragana and katakana on each key (with romanji characters) if I remember correctly. Some of the special characters are also moved, for example above the numbers up top, and I couldn't find the apostrophe for the life of me.

2. You can plug in your Macbook, iPod or whatever in Japan. Their plugs are physically the same and Apple's adapters adjusts voltage automatically.

edit to #1. I remembered incorrectly and it's just romanji and hiragana:
Flickr Photo Download: My black Macbook from Hell

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies...

that's pretty good thinkin on apple's part about the voltage switching, good to hear.

jonmon...
that's good to know. however, missing apostrophe aside, wouldn't it be a goot thing to have hiragana on the keyboard? was it just too cluttered looking or was there some other problem this presented?

ender...
yes, i also thought the keyboard would be a cool thing to have. good to know about the warrenty, thanks.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
The Japanese keyboard has a smaller Return key for some additional key, and a smaller spacebar for a input method switcher (hiragana/katakana/romaaji). When I was in Japan it probably took me a few times to get used to the Japanese keyboard and the slightly different symbols layout like the comma and period etc. The apostrophe is not missing, I think it's Shift-7 if I remember correctly..

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
jonmon...
that's good to know. however, missing apostrophe aside, wouldn't it be a goot thing to have hiragana on the keyboard? was it just too cluttered looking or was there some other problem this presented?
it would be good if you were typing in hiragana :)
but i wasn't going to and i didn't want to learn a new keyboard layout

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it would be good if you were typing in hiragana :)
but i wasn't going to and i didn't want to learn a new keyboard layout
right, but if all of the roman letters are in the same place...? I still feel like I may be missing something.

dona83
if that's the case then I think that I would be totally ok with a japanese style keyboard, just switch the OS to english and I should be fine.

BlueMax
ha ha ha... maybe. And maybe this will turn out to be Godzilla's genisis and then none of this will really matter I suppose. Well, iMovie might be a little more crucial if i end up filming the destruction of Neo-Tokyo. Hm...:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts