Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I hope this is an interesting discussion topic.

I use a Powerbook 95% of the time because it works well in my Living room. I can lay on the couch with the Powerbook on my lap and watch TV. Or rather, spend time on the Powerbook and occasionally look up at the TV.

I've got a 20" iMac as well that is hardly ever used (except as a file/music server). It's in a home office on the 2nd floor with a small (20") TV in the room. Analog cable TV only so it's missing a few channels that I get on my main set.

I like being in my living room, so my Powerbook gets the greatest use. How do I re-arrange things so that I get get more use from my iMac, or perhaps some other large screen Mac? Apple's new wireless keyboard really got me thinking because I could still have a small keyboard on my lap (and it runs cooler) while having a larger screen for use.

I'm trying to think of a way of having a larger screen in the Living room that won't get in the way of my TV and won't look terribly out of place. I've got a wood TV tray table sitting near the couch where I put the Powerbook when I'm not using it. Putting the iMac there would just take up too much room. Also need to keep a reasonable viewing distance.

Is there some sort of a ideal room layout, or furniture (e.g. perhaps a way of flipping up and down the screen from a coffee table).

I'm planning on doing some major re-arranging (swapping rooms) and buying some new furniture so I'm open for ideas.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ummmm.... Sell the iMac and use the money for your decorating needs. Problem solved. beejacon

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was just working on a floor plan. Attached is for the new room. The left hand side is the room. The right is a sitting area, as you can see there are little walls dividing the two.

The lower left corner at 45 degrees is the TV.

This was laid out on the La-Z-Boy site as I'm considering using their furniture. They of course have the recliners which are nice, but they also have a center console table that might suit for holding a iMac. It's the narrow unit at the top left. There's a recliner on each side of it. I don't know what this would cost though, it may be crazy expensive.

This layout would let me sit to the left or right of the console and see the Mac by turning it around. I could also lay along the long part and see it at my feet.

I'm also wondering about some sort of a support arm that could come out from the wall over the couch. I don't know if such a thing could hold so much weight so far extended though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No ideas?

How about a different question.
What do you do if you have a computer in your living room?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Is a new TV an option? How about a large LCD monitor, and a TV adapter for the iMac? Consolidate it all into one unit.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is a new TV an option? How about a large LCD monitor, and a TV adapter for the iMac? Consolidate it all into one unit.
A new TV is the intention. I almost bought one on Friday when Futureshop had a nice Sharp 42" on for about $1600. It didn't have a DVI port on it though. I'm also looking for some other features.

Still, I don't know about viewing a TV from 10' away and using it as my Email client. Doesn't seem like it would be very readable even at 1080P. However, I have no experience. I also don't want to share a screen between the two.

That's my main problem. How do I get a setup that I can easily see the TV and the computer screen?

·
Registered
704 Posts
A new TV is the intention. I almost bought one on Friday when Futureshop had a nice Sharp 42" on for about $1600. It didn't have a DVI port on it though. I'm also looking for some other features.

Still, I don't know about viewing a TV from 10' away and using it as my Email client. Doesn't seem like it would be very readable even at 1080P. However, I have no experience. I also don't want to share a screen between the two.

That's my main problem. How do I get a setup that I can easily see the TV and the computer screen?
Did the 'tv' have an HDMI input (DVI for the drm/home theatre market)?

And remember that even at 1080 the resolution isn't as high as a cinema display, so your text will be larger even at the default size, you can always use control panel settings to change that. The only remaining problem is that you mention that you don't want to share the screen between the 2. Another option might be a projector?

Z.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, there were HDMI. For some reason I was thinking an adapter cable would be expensive, but it is not bad. I was also thinking that one with DVI would be more mac friendly with resolutions, etc. I haven't really looked in to this though. I seem to recall some problems with the Mini when it first came out. How well does a Mac work today on a 1080P HDTV set?

How would a projector help? Project the Mac on to a wall?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got another problem to using a iMac. I was going to buy the Apple wireless keyboard but then realized that I'm missing a mouse! There's no easy way of using a mouse on your lap. I'd need a touch pad or trackball. However, I can't find a decent keyboard with such.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
501 Posts

i Say, plasma 60 inch HDTV with Itv from Apple, go wireless. watch tv and or play games. time for upgrades or a new idea for your living room. i went from a 20 inch to a 42 inch lCNH hdtv so i can play Xbox 360. don't have ITV yet, but soon coming, but i need a new Surround sound receiver and a new sub. my sound is too loud, so time for upgrade for the damage i have done to my stereo. LMAObeejacon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts