Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on how the failure rates of the various models of mac?

A friend of mine is looking to replace a Windows PC and is leaning towards a mac, but is a little concerned about hardware reliability as the logic board in the iMac he bought for his father in law 18 months ago just died and has to be replaced out of warranty.

Are there any models that are particularly reliable or unreliable? Is there any information on how Apple hardware compares to other brands of computers?

Or should he just buy whatever meets his needs and get three years of Applecare for peace of mind...

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
ibooks had issues. I think from the g3 600 to early G4 models ibooks had numerous problems. I think imac G5's had many issues too. Our intel core duo imac is running excellent and is going on two years old without a sputter (knock on wood) Our macbook just had some warranty work done to it so I will be buying Applecare right away. I think Intel iMacs are very reliable and so are the mini's from what I hear.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
mac, but is a little concerned about hardware reliability as the logic board in the iMac he bought for his father in law 18 months ago just died and has to be replaced out of warranty.
Or should he just buy whatever meets his needs and get three years of Applecare for peace of mind...
The iMac G5's had problems with capacitor quality on some of their Rev A and many of their Rev B (the ones without iSight built in). This was not just limited to Apple, but to a host of items manufactured with faulty capacitors. However, Apple was replacing those boards under an extended warranty. If he did not get a warranty replacement, I for one would call Apple and raise some hell and see if they can do anything.

Apple machines should be of better quality than most of the consumer grade PCs that are available. And remember that a host of PCs were affected by the same problem that Apple was, though most people would blame their woes incorrectly on Windoze, rather than poor quality capacitors.

Some iBooks had problems, and I believe that it is not related to any design flaw, but rather the change in manufacturing process where lead-free solders are used to comply with new European standards. Some new equipment is failing from failed solder bonding within a year or two; and we have had a number of premature failures of switching equipment caused by this very problem. Perhaps they were a little zealous in ridding the industry of lead, but at the cost of many more failed components and boards ending up in landfill sites. A few places have had good success in "reflow soldering" of the affected boards, without failures because of the reversion to old school style soldering materials.

On a brand new machine, AppleCare would indeed bring peace of mind, and it would pay for itself if, for instance, the hard drive or screen died prematurely.

·
Read Only
41 Posts
Try this site...

AppleDefects.com - Customer Complaints & Issues - Defective Apple Products, iPod, MacBook, iMac, Mac problems

Although, this is a concentration of bad things that have been going on with Macs. I would say 99% of the user base would not experience any problems. I would think PC users would have far worse problems than these.

I've been using Macs for 20 years and have never had a problem and thus had not required any maintenance.

My rule is don't buy the first generation of hardware!

Recently, I finally broke down and purchase a new MBP 2.33 (after they released the 2.2/2.4 MBP) and love it! :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would think PC users would have far worse problems than these.

Quite right, I build my own PCs, I've had bad motherboards out of the box, half working motherboards, burned video cards, dead videocards after pluggin it in a slot (the card was poorly made). I used to work at a PC repair shop, although bundled machines work out of the box (no where near as much as a mac) they tend to have poor life in terms of hardware, motherboards were usually the problem. CPU/RAM issues happened, but not as often. The biggest issue was software, and lack of maintainance.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Macdoc or someone (was it Macoholic) had posted some stats awhile ago. Not sure if it was all the Mac models or just Power Mac models. I remember it covered Power Macs because the PM G5 single 1.8 was the worst Mac for PM G5's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
iMac failure

Greetings all;
I'm the one whose G5 had the logic board failure... (that prompted the query about Mac reliability). I believe the failure was just a random (unfortunate!) event... altho Apple's own website's users' forum had numerous similar failures at around the 18-month age point.
Anyway, I wrote to Apple Canada explaining the situation, and pointing out that with the high cost of a new board, I could buy a new Windows laptop. One of their reps phoned me and said too bad, but they won't do anything for me. I wrote back again, saying his response offered absolutely no compromise-- which I think they could have offered... if Apple has any regard for customer relations. After more than a week, anther rep called me... and again, said they won't do anything for me, period.
So-- there you have it. Apple's computer is by far superior to Windows; BUT... they are becoming arrogant, and don't seem to care for one little customer. They don't seem to realize that in today's market, one little consumer can get on the Net and his/her comments can soon reach a very wide audience.
I still think Macs are better than PCs; but I'm very disappointed with Apple's attitude towards their customers. Okay-- I didn't buy the Applecare warranty. But my old HP laptop is still going strong after 6 years; I expected Apple to be at least as reliable. When I told the company reps I was prepared to meet them part-way on the price of a board, they flatly refused any such compromise. And as for used parts, well-- that's nothing they know anything about, good-bye.
That's my story. Make of it what you will.

P.S. If anyone out there has an iMac G5 logic board... please let me know! ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
BUT... they are becoming arrogant, and don't seem to care for one little customer.
I can't agree with you. You had the option to buy a three year warranty and passed on it. Then you had a failure well out of the warranty period. I'm sorry, but faeces occur on a individually randomized but generally regular and predictable basis. (s%$t happens) ;)

When you asked for an exception to be made, the company said no.

Look at it this way - Apple has to decide if spending $200 - $500 on a customer satisfaction issue - when the customer is clearly not entitled to anything - is a good advertising investment or not. Their decision is no, that investment (which comes straight off the bottom line profits) is not worth it for the return. You are unhappy, that's the risk Apple takes. They could make every Mac user happy by giving everyone $300. Course then they would be bankrupt and nobody would be happy. Except John Dvorak.

So you are correct -- Apple does not care to spend their profit margin on one little user who is trying to get an exceptional payout that nobody else is entitled to.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Greetings all;
I'm the one whose G5 had the logic board failure... (that prompted the query about Mac reliability). I believe the failure was just a random (unfortunate!) event... altho Apple's own website's users' forum had numerous similar failures at around the 18-month age point.
Anyway, I wrote to Apple Canada explaining the situation, and pointing out that with the high cost of a new board, I could buy a new Windows laptop. One of their reps phoned me and said too bad, but they won't do anything for me. I wrote back again, saying his response offered absolutely no compromise-- which I think they could have offered... if Apple has any regard for customer relations. After more than a week, anther rep called me... and again, said they won't do anything for me, period.
So-- there you have it. Apple's computer is by far superior to Windows; BUT... they are becoming arrogant, and don't seem to care for one little customer. They don't seem to realize that in today's market, one little consumer can get on the Net and his/her comments can soon reach a very wide audience.
I still think Macs are better than PCs; but I'm very disappointed with Apple's attitude towards their customers. Okay-- I didn't buy the Applecare warranty. But my old HP laptop is still going strong after 6 years; I expected Apple to be at least as reliable. When I told the company reps I was prepared to meet them part-way on the price of a board, they flatly refused any such compromise. And as for used parts, well-- that's nothing they know anything about, good-bye.
That's my story. Make of it what you will.

P.S. If anyone out there has an iMac G5 logic board... please let me know! ;-)
Please, spare us your SOB story for a rainy day, or better yet, don't share it at all. Sure, your PC may have gone 6 years problem-free, but so have some of my Macs. Likewise, there are plenty of situations where someone else's PC died after 18 months. Quite frankly, if you're out of warranty and refused to purchase AppleCare, I fail to see how that's considered arrogance on Apple's part, nor do I see why Apple is obligated to do anything for you at all.

"...and don't seem to care for one little customer. They don't seem to realize that in today's market, one little consumer can get on the Net and his/her comments can soon reach a very wide audience."

Correction, they realize it but don't care at all, period. I would be surprised if your negative post on a place like ehMac is going to deter a Mac user from or soon-to-be Mac user from ultimately purchasing a Mac they've been previously pondering. Everyone has that bad experience, and it's those experiences that they blow out of proportion and then subsequently place blame on Apple's apparent arrogance in the matter.

"...but I'm very disappointed with Apple's attitude towards their customers. Okay-- I didn't buy the Applecare warranty."

There you have it. Your computer is out of warranty. What else did you expect? "Oh, not a problem. You're not the only person with an issue with their iMac G5, so I guess we'll just fix all your problems for you." False reality. I'm finding an increasing number of Mac users think the one-year limited warranty means coverage outside the one year if a problem occurs outside that time frame that more than 3 other Mac users have also experienced.

Bottom line: Buy AppleCare. Once AppleCare expires, buy a new Mac. Seriously. After 3 years, you'll want a new Mac to stay decently up-to-date anyway.

That being said, if you own a pre-iSight iMac G5, there is an REP (extended coverage) for power supplies and logic boards that is still in effect as of today.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My brother owns a 1st generation G5 iMac, and had a logic board failure after the end of the regular 1 year warranty. After a quick search on Apple's site, it turned out that his issue was covered beyond the regular warranty, so he brought it to the local Apple Center, and had it repaired in 2 days.
No question asked, pretty fast job, nothing to pay. I think this is good service.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I suppose, based on kelmacuzr's logic, I owe Apple a payment of some amount for the "added" years of perfect service my out of warranty Macs continue to provide. Where should I send the cheque... and for what amount?

;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts