Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Just saw the news report on Inside Mac Games myself - woot! Unfortunatly, my iMac won't cut it in terms of the required power to run the game.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya,

I doubt my 15" FP 800 G4 iMac will cut the mustard either seeing how games are getting more and more intensive.

Have a hard enough time playing MoH:Spearhead as it is @ low quality... and I'm over their recommended system with tons of RAM.

Go figure. :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Guys, don't worry!

I will post a little insider information (well it's gone public but I knew it for awhile). Sony is highly likely to drop the price of the PS2 to $99 USD ($140 CDN) during American Thanksgiving.

Microsoft has responed that to this "rumor" that if Sony drops their price, they will too on the xbox console.

Wait and see. If it does happen, just pick up a xbox and halo for it for a price point lower than upgrading your mac. :D

I have a xbox and halo and the control is great (there's just a bit of a learning curve) and I'm a die hard FPS PC gamer which was originally skeptical of how good halo would really be on a console.

-sb

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Any downloadable demo available? It would be nice to have a quick taste of what is to some...

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Gamecube is going down to $150 Canadian too"

hehe, that's how much I picked mine up for a few months after its launch.

So I don't feel too bad when I heard about the price drop.

-sb

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Yeah for Halo. I've played the PC demo (its the game, with 2 levels, and all the abilities to set your graphics higher then low disabled.), very nice. Better then the XBox version since it is with a mouse and keyboard. Can't wait

As for price drops?
I'm all for that. I just can't decide which system to get, since their are games I want to play on all 3.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Chealion
You get a much better value buyer long after release, cheaper system and way more games are available now(and cheaper) . Used consoles are now a bad deal as they should be only worth less than a hundred bucks., and who wants to sell it for that. But it is inevitable that all new toys lose their value.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Uh Oh, will Halo make a lot of people upgrade their boxes?

That's what happens in PC Land all the time

Maybe porting games for mac is not that good if it decreases the lifespan of a system.

Sure you can still do word and photoshop, but you can also do that with a p2 400, and no one wants one of those :D

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i'm considering buying a console to help me get through the long winter ahead. which is the best?

·
Registered
95 Posts
"i'm considering buying a console to help me get through the long winter ahead. which is the best?"

Tell me about what you like in a game and what games you've played in the past that you really enjoyed?

What genres do you enjoy? What about secondary features? (ie. dolby/dts and dvd playback, online gaming, etc)

-sb

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have a Gamecube because I'm a Zeldaholic.

Animal Crossing sucked away my soul for months.

Oh, and I just finished playing 7 hours of Soul Calibur II.

I have no life...

I'm probably getting an X-Box for Halo 1 & 2 and Deus Ex Invisible War. But beyond that, GameCube keeps me occupied.

And with a 4-year old Mac, well, upgrading it would be more expensive than an X-Box...

:cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
"i haven't really played video games for years (think SNES) but i liked the Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo, Driver, GTA2 and umm..I guess that's all I've played recently.Oh, i really really liked that game Homeworld. I like the violent, dilinquent stuff. no sports. dvd capability would be nice, as i haven't yet joined the dvd revolution - do all systems have dvd?"

The Gamecube does not. The PS2 and Xbox do.

You'll need to buy a remote to use the DVD function on the xbox.

You can play dvds out of the box on the ps2 with limited control. You'll have to purchase a dvd remote for added features.

I'd recommend the xbox based on the list of games you mentioned.

Most games now come out multi-platform (they come out on all the consoles at once) and since the xbox has the best graphic and audio hardware, it tends to have the better looking port.

Driver 3 will be multi-platform. GTA 3 and Vice City is coming to xbox this november 5th. Return to Castle Wolfstein came out multi-platform and the xbox version was the only one to have six additional levels, an extra weapon, online play and two-player co-op quest mode.

There's some other great games coming out for the xbox (only for it) this christmas and early 04, here's my list of to-watch-for games:

Ninja Gaiden - http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_ninjagaiden_gi.html
Full Spectrum Warrior - http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_fswarrior_demo.html
Thief 3 - http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_thief3.html
Fable - http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_fable_pe.html
and of course, Halo 2 - http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_halo2_e3_2k3_8min.html

Another cool feature about the xbox is it's built-in hard drive. You can rip audio cds on it and play them in-game (if the game supports customized soundtracks). You can also save your game process on the hard drive instead of buying a memory card. Very useful.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

-sb

·
Registered
95 Posts
"I have a Gamecube because I'm a Zeldaholic."

Yeah, that's why I bought my gamecube. For all those classic Nintendo titles I loved when I was a kid playing my nes. :D

Xbox for the new titles that developers may not port to cube because of its limited base. Gamecube for the great nintendo classics in 64-bit!

"Animal Crossing sucked away my soul for months."

Me too. I usually drop in on my town every week or so, just to make sure everything is running smoothly. :D

"Oh, and I just finished playing 7 hours of Soul Calibur II."

Ack, on that gamecube d-pad? How could you? Must have been torture for your thumbs.. :(

-sb

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Soul Calibur II? Who uses a d-pad when you can use the control stick. Although the game is available on all 3 consoles. SCII on Gamecube has the best secret character. You can't beat Link
I know my friends and I just randomly started a game of SC2, that turned into a tournament that lasted 6 hours.

Choosing which system comes down to the games. What game do you want to play? That and most games are on all 3 platforms.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i haven't really played video games for years (think SNES) but i liked the Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo, Driver, GTA2 and umm..I guess that's all I've played recently.Oh, i really really liked that game Homeworld. I like the violent, dilinquent stuff. no sports. dvd capability would be nice, as i haven't yet joined the dvd revolution - do all systems have dvd?

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Soul Calibur II? Who uses a d-pad when you can use the control stick."

The thumb stick? Nooooo! The d-pad always has the best control in fighters, imo. Unless you're playing with the X-Arcade. Then I envy you.

"Although the game is available on all 3 consoles. SCII on Gamecube has the best secret character. You can't beat Link."

Yeah, he's pretty slick. Very fast (except for his bombs and arrows, etc.) and great juggling combos.

I have the xbox version of the game and that doesn't bug me too much since my favorite character is Ivy.

"I know my friends and I just randomly started a game of SC2, that turned into a tournament that lasted 6 hours."

I'm so pissed that SC2 doesn't have a built-in tournament mode. Sometimes, I have tournys with 10-15 friends. Everything would be so much easier with a mode like that.

-sb

1 - 20 of 26 Posts