Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, has this happened to anyone else? My ".Mac" account was up for renewal (I was just going to let it go) and Apple billed me the cost of renewal!!! I can't believe this. Did this happen to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Hi Leanne

Ditto! Just logged into my .Mac page and checked my account info. Seems my .Mac was up for renewal Oct. 2 and Apple helped themselves to my visa. :rolleyes:
Fortunately for them I was planning to renew anyhow but the fact that I was billed without being informed about it seems a little shifty. I'm sure it was buried in the fine print somewhere but thats besides the point. Phone companies use this tactic to get you to subscribe to extra services. They offer it free for a month but after that you are billed unless you call to cancel. They do this knowing full well you'll likely forget about it and never realize it for a month or two. :mad:
I know others like you that were planning to just let it expire and I'm sure they don't realize the surprise coming on there next visa statement. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers
MacGuiver

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The worst part is that they tried to bill my credit card a bunch of times but it wouldn't go through (because my expiry date changed). But then they all of a sudden got it to work without me updating my information. That ticked me.

.Mac is okay (the new iBlog was kind of tempting), but I'm trying to save for a new Mac and purchasing this membership just up's my waiting time. I need to wait until I get a new Mac first before I purchase it again.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I trust that Apple cancelled the sale. If not, call VISA right away and explain what has happened and that you will not pay for the transaction since it took place without your authorization.

I don't blame you for being ticked. I've noticed that the Apple has made some changes to the way that they manage customers' account. You now have to give express consent to Apple to renew automatically.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PGant: I will call Visa just to make sure it's taken care of. The person I spoke with at Apple said that the charges would be reversed, but I had to ask him twice before he'd confirm it. He wasn't a very enthusiastic customer service rep.

[ October 09, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Leanne ]

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
PGant mused:
If not, call VISA right away and explain what has happened and that you will not pay for the transaction since it took place without your authorization.
Actually you asked them to auto-debit your credit card! Log into your .Mac homepage, click "Account", then click "Credit Card Info" and look at the bottom left corner of your page... (go ahead I'll wait ;) ) ...what do you see? That's right, an "Auto-Renew" check box.

You didn't think Apple was trying to screw you and take your money illegally, right? Read people, read.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I don't know what you guys got, but I got an email over a month in advance saying "Your .Mac subscription is set to auto-renew on [insert date here]. Please login to confirm or make changes", or something along those lines anyway.

I would have copy & pasted the text from said message, but I seem to have deleted it.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I also got the eMail, exactly 30 days before the renewal date.

I agree that people should be careful with any online transaction, and read every detail about what they're buying, and check those checkboxes. When in doubt, say no to everything.

I always take screenshots (command-shift-4) of any page where I'm doing business online, and keep them (encrypted) for future reference, along with the SW registration data and eMail invoices.

The good news is that any CC transaction can be taken up with the card provider.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If you renew now, you have to opt-in. But that was _not_ the case last year when they first launched this as a pay-service. Back then, you had to drill down into your .Mac account settings and de-select the auto-renew feature. I know this because I had to re-set this myself on my account (and I happen to be the type of guy who reads the fine print on things, so rest assured, Bjornbro, I wasn't pleased about having to do this).

I have no doubt that they issued some kind of advance notice via email to remind customers that auto-renew was about to kick in, but that doesn't exonerate an underhanded way of doing business. Clearly the light went on at Apple because they have since reconsidered the practice.

You can read more about the earlier complaints about the .Mac auto-renew here...

Here...

Here...

And here are a few sample threads from discussions on the Apple forum:

Here.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
This is the relevant portion of the email that I received.

<blockquote>
Your .Mac membership will be automatically renewed on October 12, 2003 PDT. Your credit card will be charged and your thank you gift will be sent within 4 weeks after your anniversary date.

Please take a minute to review your account settings. If you want to change any of the details regarding your account, click here <http://www.mac.com/email/Production/renewals/redirects/en_day30ar_renewalset.html> to update your Renewal Settings first.
</blockquote>

It comes after a bunch of feature overviews, but it isn't by any stretch small print or hidden in any paragraphs.

Unless you turned it off previously, the default state AFAIK for a .Mac account is still with Auto-Renew on. If you didn't want to renew, Apple gave 30 days notice for you to change the settings.

I have been reading things in multiple places comparing Apple to the phone companies, but keep in mind that when a phone company gives you a free promo they give you absolutely no warning before it switches from free promo to for-pay feature.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Bjornbro is right about the autobilling check box. Thing is I don't remember requesting .Mac to automatically renew nor do friends of mine. I guess Apple had that on by default and you'd have to catch it to notice. Sort of like those toggle buttons that are on at the bottom of a long survey that give the site permission to share your email address. Today was actually the first day I've ever been on my account page as I am sure lots of users have never looked at it before either.

Cheers
MacGuiver

1 - 12 of 12 Posts