Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've recently switched from PC > MAC and am interested in playing some of my favourite games on my new iMac.

A question for the board:
If I create a home network that links both a PC and my Mac, can I play games such as Age of Empires 2 in multiplayer mode using both types of computers?

A question for people in the Toronto area:
Where is the best place to purchase Mac games?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I have bought from the IMG Store before and it arrived here the same week I ordered my game(s) (Monday, arrived Friday), with no duties/taxes, etc. Shipping is unexpensive, as well. IMG is one place I will definitely buy from again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Id (Quake series),Blizzard (Diablo, Starcraft and Warcraft series) and Bungie (with their Myth series) were very good in making the Mac and PC versions able to "talk" to each other. Unreal and Unreal Tournament on the Mac and PC are both network compatible.

With some games the problem arose when the game was written for the PC with no thought of it running on/with other platforms. Some PC games were written with the proprietary "direct play" network code. This is Microsoft's code. They don't have a version for Linux or the Mac. They also (AFAIK) don't publish how their code acts on the network. This makes it almost impossible to make a Mac (or Linux or other) game network compatible with a Direct Play "enhanced" game. The only (very expensive) solution is to rewrite the game without Direct Play.

I believe Half Life never made it to the Mac for this reason. My favorite game,"Total Annihilation", a real-time strategy game, has a PC and Mac version which cannot play against each other. There is irony in my 6 computer game LAN. One of the reasons I never added a PC was because of Direct Play. I guess Microsofts tactics occasionally backfire.

Anyway, I host a wednesday night game LAN. IF you are interested in joining let me know. You don't have to lug a personal computer over.

- Hope that helps - Terry - Jane/Annette - Toronto

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I believe Half Life never made it to the Mac for this reason.
Half-life never made it to the Mac because Sierra/Valve didn't want to have to pay to keep the Mac version of Half-life up to date with the PC version.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Hey stand_1998. Welcome to the Mac

This is a GREAT page of Mac dealers in the GTA. HANG ONTO IT.

As for stores that have some shelves with stock on it, try Computer Systems Centre, Carbon Computing, CPUsed, Compusmart (Yonge and... Adelaide, is it??). Of the Mac stores I've gone to, these ones have more displays than most others.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yes, I'm looking forward to Halo too.

I'd have to check IMG (Inside Mac Games) web page to see if the requirements were posted.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Sad thing is, by the time Halo is released, it won't be nearly as impressive as it was 3-4 years when it was first annoucned. At its announcement, the graphics were the best (and I mean best)for its time, but now, its graphics are easily comparable (or worse) to other games already out there on the Mac platform. I'm looking forward to it, no doubt, but I have a feeling I won't be as impressed by it was I would of been years ago.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I was just talking to 2 Xbox users yesterday about Halo... it seems to still be quite a popular game. I don't think we'll be disappointed when it finally comes out.

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
Halo is one of those main stay games, like GoldenEye, Super Smash Bros., Counterstrike, etc. Games that everyone has fun with and the graphics aren't the main point, its the gameplay and what people can do with it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Regarding the Halo requirements, there's a link off the IMG website to macteens.org that the president of Westlake speculates the requirements for Halo to be:
</font>
  • 800 or 900 MHz</font>
  • 32 MB VRAM</font>
  • 256 MB RAM</font>
Also on a personal, my previous post makes me a "Full Citizen", nobody can kick sand in my face any more

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kosh, I think Terry is correct.

I remember reading an article with an interview from some people at Westlake, the company that was going to port the game to the Mac. They said that because of the propritary network code, it would only be feasible to port the single player version of Half-Life. (This is also why there's no, at last check, Linux version)

Realising very few people would buy a copy of HL you couldn't play Counter-Strike on, they wisely decided to scrap the project. :(

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Carbon seemed to have a decent selection of games when I went there.

Personally, I haven't a lot of time for games so I only play one: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Unless you consider LOGO a game

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Hi guys, any one no when Unreal 2 the awakening might make it to the Mac? I love the original...and now that I have a wicked better video card the games looks great but woud love to get unreal 2..tournament 2003 is fun, but I still like stand alone first person games better...thanks Mark

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Kosh, I think Terry is correct.
Nope, he's wrong. He said half-life didn't make it to the Mac because of network play between Macs and PCs. According to the person who did the port, he was asked by Valve to break networking with PCs on purpose.

They didn't do the port because of money, that's all it was. Valve didn't want ot have to pay to maintain the Mac port.

See the very bottom of this page http://www.macgamer.com/interviews/meggs/meggs1.html

The second last question answers it all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I bought Age of Empires 2 for my iMac hoping that it would be able to communicate with my PeeCee, and it didn't work :( .

Does anyone know if Medal of Honor is compatible with PeeCee's over a network?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.