Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about getting a new game for my mac. I haven't played any games for a long time. Any suggestions for a good first person shooter? Ones I've been considering are Medal of Honour Allied Forces, Rogue Spear, Unreal Tournament and Alien vs. Predator. I've got a dual processor 500mhz with 896mb of ram. What's everybody out there playing? Anything that should be avoided?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would be insane not to recommend UT, because we've got a good thing going on here at ehMac with our fragnights.

I loved Aliens vs. Predator as well. I don't have too much experience with the others, though.

-SJ

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Medal of Honor - 4 1/2 grins out of 5
Multiplayers / Networkable
It has a story line to follow, great graphics (even on my Pismo), smooth play and you have to do a little thinking in it. (Scouting out Snipers and getting rid of them.)

It is a little different than the all out shoot 'em up fragfest of the UT.

And if you like the Shoot 'em ups another good one is Max Payne. 4 out of 5.
Not networkable :( but
Real cool special effects that you can use. I found it very Duke Nukemish. And I finished the story in the easy mode. The only thing you do next is to do the SAME story over again just in a harder mode. Still it occupied a good part of my spare time for a month....

Let me know if anyone gets Medal of Honor, it is multiplayer networkable and it would be cool to have a MOH (Medal of Honor) Shoot'em up night here on ehMac.

·
Registered
363 Posts
rogue spear is great if you're looking for a realistic strategic type shooter. i usually spend more time planning each mission as i do playing it, to get it just right.

you don't get to jump into a level and just blow people up like in ut, but it's a great feeling when you do the entire mission without teammates, and don't have a single round fired at you.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I've got:

1) UT (although I am having a helluva time getting it to work right in Shaguar).

2) Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix - This is my game-du-jour. I simply LOVE this game. :D 5 stars!!! Great single player story and it is wonderful multiplayer.

3) Alien vs. Predator - I haven't really gotten into this cuz I bought it when I still had a G3. Will give it another go.

4) Giants: Citizen Kabuto. This is was bumped from my No. 1 spot by SoF II. Great story. Great characters. You can toggle 1st and 3rd person. A hoot in multi-player or on your own.

5) Star trek Voyager: Elite Force ... just cuz I am a ST fan and love seeing janeway kick @ss. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm relatively new at Mac Gaming so I was in the same predicament as Coyote. What to get?

Medal of Honor:AA was awesome! The lack of animated cut scenes and an abrupt ending (or lack of one) were disapponting but the game play is awesome.

Heart, I too have never played this on multiplayer so if you want to give it a go sometime, let me know.

UT is fun but will be more fun come Christmas when UT Mac 2003 is available.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It is great. It's similar to Medal of Honor except there are levels with ghouls and spirits from the netherworld along with WWII Nazis to contend with. The networkable multiplayer is quite good too. Different maps and gameplay too.

I'm looking forward to trying Max Payne sometime in the near future.

Other games I've played but aren't my cup of tea are Vampyre, Star Wars Racer, DeusEx, and Warcraft III, along with some others I don't recall. Some are great games, like Warcraft III, just not the type of game I'm into. I like blowing crap up, not building armies and watching 2D battles with my arms folded.

I just read that Ghost Recon just went Gold Master. I've heard from PC friends that this is the best game they've played so I'm looking forward to that one.

Macman.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macman:
I'm relatively new at Mac Gaming so I was in the same predicament as Coyote. What to get?

UT is fun but will be more fun come Christmas when UT Mac 2003 is available.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful with this one, (for everyone here, not just MacMan) -- you will need a 733 MHz G4 w/Radeon 8500 64 MB or better and 512 MB of RAM to enjoy it. That setup will get you 40 FPS; graphics maxed.

I too would recommend UT, as it has low system requirements (G3/300 for playable FPS) but it is super addictive and the eye-candy is really good (provided you have a high-end 3dfx card or 64 MB Radeon).

·
Registered
223 Posts
I may be an old stick in the mud, but I am still enjoying Diablo II Expansion Set when I have a chance to play. Then there are all the Sim games, which are good for light mindless fun.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Keep the games advice coming. I tried a demo of UT. Pretty fun but man did I ever get smoked! Can you play it over the internet with a pokey dial up connection?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
For PC, UT2003 asks for a 32Mb GeForce 2 MX card or better, and an Athlon/Pentium3 1.0 GHz or better for the PC. These are the reccomened system requirements, the minimum reqs are listed as a 16 MB GeForce card and an Athlon 733.

That said, it runs just fine than you on my buddies Overclocked Celeron 800 with GeForce 2 MX 200 32MB. It even runs on this configuration at full detail mode.

Traditionally the Mac version of a PC cage will have steeper requirements due to OpenGL being a bit more intensive in terms of memory (as far as I know, feel free to correct me it is just the only reason that makes any sense to me), but I doubt that the required specs will be too terribly high. I dont expect it to play on my iBook, but I do expect it to be playable on our iMac 700 with GeForce 2 32MB. Maybe not so much at full detail, but really it is more about the gameplay than the graphics.

--PB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts