Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been contemplating whether or not to sign up for .mac services.

I've been looking at registering a domain name and getting some webspace to host a personal web site. Nothing professional right now, just for personal use. I haven't really looed into the cost of this yet, but was hoping you could help provide some pros and cons on the .mac service to help me make a decision.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I love my .mac account. I don't regret for a second having made the purchase. The iDisk space alone is worth it to me. As you see from my sig, I have put the homepage feature to good use. I've also used the iDisk space to transfer very large files to friends. Back-Up is also handy as an additional means of backing up important info such as Address Book.
The space is also home to numerous avatars, pics and sound clips which I use in the forums I belong to.
Also, I musn't forget, having a .mac e-mail address is cool.

You are the only one who can decide whether it is worth it to you and how you plan on using the features.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
adagio wrote everything I would have said, so ...

ditto...

I love dot.Mac. worth every penny and I will be re-newing this year.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I've been very pleased with it...serves as a great business tool for me. I'm able to publish and share calendars with clients, sync my address book among my Macs. The backup feature is still a little wonky but reasonably good for backing up bookmarks, iTunes playlists, and key documents.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Ditto the above - in addition, Apple sweetens the pot every so often with give aways. If you want to use iSync to its full potential, then .Mac is a necessity. Also, if you use/own multiple Macs, the cross synching over these machines is useful (one address book, etc.). And its so simple to use....

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Just the ability to publish my iPhoto pictures to the web with a click of a button and share with family members is worth it for me.

Also for sending large files to friends via their file sharing web page template is very useful. Trying to send a 25 GB advertisement via email usually doesn't work as it clogs someones mail box.

I really use the royalty free Freeplay musc loops in my iDisk quite a bit for DVD's I make of home movies and such.

Occasionally, the free little perks are nice too. I really got addicted to the game Alchamy.

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Love it, and have already started a Loonie jar to pay for next year's subscription...

Big pluses:

1/ idiot-proof creation of web photo galleries from within iPhoto.

2/ great, easy homepage website tool that creates a "site map" which links all of your photo galleries and other pages.

3/ iDisk backup - more useful if you have a fast 'net connection... great for storing / moving large files, backups, etc.

4/ idiot-proof iCal publishing. I mean, this feature alone is just faaaaabulous! (check out www.icalshare.com)

Plus the goodies that come with a .Mac membership (free games, free anti-virus (though we don't need it), extra support forums, etc.).

And the über-kool @mac email address :D

M.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Webmail -- love it, for I can access my email anywhere plus the nice 15MB of email storage. Love having my email address end in @mac.com too. Oh so bloody easy to instantly create a web page (photos) with just a few clicks.

After all the months I've used it -- since the introduction -- I could not function without it. Money well spent.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. Looks like I will seriously consider purchasing .Mac services.

One last question, did you all purchase via the web site or do you to purchase the software package for sale in the Apple.ca store?

If you can purchase via the web site, do they charge you in American or Canadian dollars? They quote $99.99US or $159.99 Canadian for .Mac services. But with the current exchange rate $99.99 US would ome out to less than $159.99 Canadian.

I did see the software package at a local Compusmart for $149.99, $10 cheaper than the Apple store sells it.

[ May 23, 2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: r2traps ]

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Used to have it, loved it.

Didn't think it was worth $140 so didn't sign up.

Missed it for a couple of months, but I have replaced every service I used -- e-mail, web space, idisk -- at virtually no cost.

Don't miss it anymore.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
how much storage space do you get with an .Mac account?

would it be viable as an ftp server for clients to upload large 100-200 MB files?

how are the speeds, both up and down?

thanx

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Brainstrained said:
Used to have it, loved it.

Didn't think it was worth $140 so didn't sign up.

Missed it for a couple of months, but I have replaced every service I used -- e-mail, web space, idisk -- at virtually no cost.

Don't miss it anymore.
Brainstrained, with what did you rerplace these services?! :confused:
Enquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Holy resurected thread, Batman!! But since it's back from the dead...

I've been contemplating signing up for .mac, at least for the 60-day trial. Two questions: 1) Is it possible/easy to sync the address books of multiple users on different macs?

2) ehMax mentioned sharing a 25GB file using the file sharing service. I'm assuming he meant 25Mbs (!!). So how does this work?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts