Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

This site has been great so far. I'm a Mac convert... finally after being forced to use them for 4 years at work. And now, i'm thinking of purchasing my first mac laptop. However, I'm moving to england soon and should probably save some money for then, so i'm looking into used macs. I've found a used powerbook g4, 667 mhz, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB, DVD... that's all i know until i see it. I'm not looking to use it for anything fancy, mostly just surfing and office apps (maybe the odd movie). He's looking to sell for $550. I initially got rather excited for it, but i think i got ahead of myself and just wanted to check since i've never actually bought a mac... this a good deal? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to Ehmac!

Ok. First of all I want to clear a few things up.... You don't really mean forced do you???

Secondly, without knowing if this is a 12" 15" or 17" PowerBook no one is going to be able to answer your question.

Switching will be a decision you won't regret though. Good luck on your purchase! :clap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks singingcrow! Haha... well, i was pretty anti-mac. When i started my job, macs were all they had, so i didn't have the option. So no they didn't tie me to a chair and make me use it, but at the time, i would've been much happier with a PC.

To answer the second part, I probably should've mentioned it's a powerbook titanium g4 667... and i was under the impression that those only came in the 15" model. However, i'll make sure and ask. I am going to see it tomorrow night, so i was just hoping to get an idea on those specs. Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Short opinion - It's a Titanium, it's old (the model was discontinued April 2002). It's hobbled to slower PC133 RAM. Unless you're lucky the DVD is read only - not a burner - it *may* be a combo drive (Reads DVD and burns CD-R only). There were 2 versions of this machine - the more desirable has a DVI connector for video, but it came with a 40 Gb drive as standard. I don't think it's worth $550 - parts like the optical drive and screen backlight may be nearing replacement time. Apple notebook parts in general are not cheap.

Apple PowerBook G4 667 (Gigabit - Ti) Specs (Gigabit Ethernet - M8363LL/A*) @ EveryMac.com

What it has going for it is the PCMCIA slot - you don't get those in a MacBook or a iBook. Of course only 1 in 100 people actually utilize the slot for specific purposes...

There are currently no refurbs other than MacBook Pros in the Apple.ca store, but check them regularly.

I think an iBook G4 1.33 would be a better machine all around, double the processor speed, faster DDR RAM, more rugged Lexan body, and newer components. Or if you can stretch to $1000+, a refurb or recent used MacBook.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey,

I've found a used powerbook g4, 667 mhz, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB, DVD... that's all i know until i see it. I'm not looking to use it for anything fancy, mostly just surfing and office apps (maybe the odd movie). He's looking to sell for $550. I initially got rather excited for it, but i think i got ahead of myself and just wanted to check since i've never actually bought a mac... this a good deal?
Try to find out if it's the DVI or Gigabit Ethernet model. The DVI model (DVI video connector on the back) is more desirable. It has the additional 1mb L3 cache whereas the Gigabit Ethernet (VGA video connector on the back) has no L3 cache. The DVI model also has a higher resolution screen (1280x854 vs 1152x768) and faster graphics card (32mb Mobility Radeon 7500 vs 16mb Mobility Radeon). Overall the 667Mhz (DVI) is much better than the 667Mhz (Gigabit Ethernet).
As for the price I have seen 867Mhz PowerBook G4's sell for less than that on eBay and the prices seem to be falling all the time. The price really depends on the condition and how it is configured (Airport card, the amount of ram, size of hard drive, superdrive or combo drive, etc.). If it's the DVI model in excellent physical condition (no dents and little or no scratches, with a good screen, watch the screen for keyboard marks!), maxed out (Airprot card, 1Gb ram, large HDD, Superdrive, etc.) then I would think it is a fair deal. Of course all of this is just what I would consider fair, others here might have a different opinion.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot, the comments are really helpful! The more i read on sites like EveryMac, the more i was getting the impression that it wasn't such a great deal after all. I was hoping to get some input from more experienced mac buyers and it's really useful. I didn't realize how old it the titanium was, but i'll probably go take a look tomorrow anyways just to see what else is with it and how the condition is. I've been leaning towards finding something else since i signed up on ehmac. My original plan was to find an ibook g4, but i came across this and i suppose i got ahead of myself. I've also checked out some prices on ebay to compare, so i'll likely keep looking. I don't mind paying a bit more, as long as it's worth it. Thanks again...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey again. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

So the titanium was definately a no-go. But i've been offered a 12" powerbook g4, 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, 40 GB, with a DVD-R/CD-R, Bluetooth, and airport extreme for $550. It has no dead pixels. I saw it today and it's a little dirty, but probably nothing a good cleaning couldn't fix. The one thing i didn't like was, there's a rather noticable dent in one of the corners. He bought it in japan from a refurbishing place in september and just got himself a MacBook Pro. I think i might be able to get over the dent, but what do you guys think of the rest?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Also, don't forget that UK is 220V and we are 110v here. So you will need a suitable power adapter. The Apple Store has them I believe.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Also, don't forget that UK is 220V and we are 110v here. So you will need a suitable power adapter. The Apple Store has them I believe.
The power adapter that comes with all Macs will auto convert the power supplied. All that is needed is something to convert the physical plug, available at the Apple store, but also at any electronics store.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey again. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

So the titanium was definately a no-go. But i've been offered a 12" powerbook g4, 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, 40 GB, with a DVD-R/CD-R, Bluetooth, and airport extreme for $550. It has no dead pixels. I saw it today and it's a little dirty, but probably nothing a good cleaning couldn't fix. The one thing i didn't like was, there's a rather noticable dent in one of the corners. He bought it in japan from a refurbishing place in september and just got himself a MacBook Pro. I think i might be able to get over the dent, but what do you guys think of the rest?
Well, personally, it sounds like a good deal to me. The 12" PowerBooks still seem to be in high demand and it should hold it's value better than a similar 15" model. As others have said though, if you can afford a bit more money (around $1000) a refurbished MacBook from the Apple store would be by far a superior machine (intel C2D is a much faster processor, and you can dual boot with Windows if you want) and of course you would get Applecare. If you are on a tight budget though, this sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have the Tibook 667mhz, and it's fast enough for me

I love the 15.2" display, I also have a 12" Ibook g4 1.33 ghz and it looks punny to me now. To be honest I don't feel a difference between the two because the only thing I use it for is the internet & watching movies.

However, I think the price is a little high for a Tibook, maybe I should sell mine on Ebay.

There is a huge difference between the 12" form factor and 15.2", my hands don't really fit well on the 12".

Is that the average price for a Tibook???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts