ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was reading an article I think I saw it in some consumer magazine or the newspaper anyway the whole article was about how the pc is old and it was going to be like IBM and sort of fade away into the back rooms of business and then even getting shut out by Linux. Anyone who asks me personally what kind of computer to get will get the same answer Mac. No matter what the need old, young, smart, and not so smart, movie editing, spread sheets it does everything. The first response every time is its too expensive but the thing is you could get a Mac mini 650 plus GST PST and thank parliament HST. Still you might think no mouse keyboard or anything else well the average pc user has all that stuff and you know what the Mac mini is going to be way faster than that ac*r minitower running a atom mostly single core, and the computer its self will last a fraction of the amount of a Mac I have a Mac from 1994 a Performa lc 575 works like new I even spent 50 dollars just to put a Ethernet card in the thing it can’t do much but its networks that 15 years old now think of a 15 year old PC they don’t well let’s say go to the bench mark were setting. What I have seen over the last few years is funny we go from no Macs to lots of Macs a few years ago a local computer store quite large had a good 30 PC’s on display and 2 Macs one macbook and one imac now they have the whole Mac family and have cut down there PC section to about 20. The one thing it said in the article was one of the big reason that Mac are getting so popular is because the iPod because everybody has a iPod you really don’t call mp3 player mp3 players you call them iPods I have heard people calling 3rd party mp3 players iPod just because everyone knows the name you want to smack for associating junk with apple but hey that would be illegal ha-ha just joking. One day I hope Mac os wipes out Windows and the iphone slaughters all other phones and well the iPod has already won its battle. Thanks For Reading

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Be careful what you wish for.

To become the #1 computer, I think Apple would have to make a LOT of compromises to the lowest common denominator that I think would ultimately hurt them. The King of the Hill is always under attack, you know?

No, I think I like them about where they are now ... incredibly influential and pioneering, still willing to take risks, very customer-focused, not worrying about making Wall Street happy.

·
Registered
335 Posts

I think the reason macs are getting more popular is for a few reasons and none are related to longevity.

1) They look cool and it has become the thing to have in University so a ton of students are running them. Its like buying a Mercedes, its about the status but you get the status for only a couple hundred bucks (yeah we know that its not that much of a premium but the average joe thinks they are alot more money)

2) People are sick and tired of viruses and spyware.

Apple will continue to sell more and more computers because the people in University right now are buying macs and they are the ones who in the future will be making the majority of computer purchases, since they are already used to macs they will likely continue to buy macs. I think most people who are in their middle ages are PC users because on average they barely know how to use a PC and switching is intimidating, the ones who switch are the ones who are tired of the spyware and willing to learn a new system. Thats my thoughts anyway, perhaps someone who sells macs can enlighten us all because they will definately know who is buying the majority of them.

·
$webGeek = 1;
331 Posts
Being a college student(2nd year) and Mac owner(almost 3 years) for some time I have observed Mac Notebooks become a lot more popular in the last couple of years. I always ask and get asked: "why did you get a Mac?", and of course I get this from PC owners as well.

Here are some recurring themes I keep noticing from both sides of the river: and don't forget that while I am talking about people in college mainly, this does cover people aged anywhere from 17-65.

1) People who love Macs have always had experience working with windows: and, it was never a good experience:rolleyes:

2) People who don't like Macs, have never tried them, and generally don't like trying new things: though, they sure like making stuff up about how bad Mac's are :confused::rolleyes:

3) People who recently bought a Mac, or are thinking of doing so, say they want a Mac because:
- They want a safe, virus free, stable platform to work on
- They want to stop having problems with their computer at some point.
(I'll add that only took about two months for most of the new Mac owners I know... Do the problems ever end in Windows?)
- They don't like maintaining computers
- They are interested in becoming more productive with a computer

4) People who say they would not buy a Mac tell me this was because:
- A Mac won't play some game they like:baby::baby::baby:
- They can't afford a Mac(How much was the Mac Mini again?)
- They can't change the hardware(maybe the odd integrated graphics card: but these have plenty of benefits so, huh?)
- Of a lack of software(Really?! Better check again, a Mac can run almost any software now)

My impression has been that most Mac users are sick of being slaves to the windows method, and are people looking for an easier, more logical, less stressful method of getting things done on a computer.:love2:

Die hard PC users on the other hand are usually the types of people that don't like trying anything new, and, as such, they get left in the dark and suffer for it.:D

Well, that's just my experience anyways; this topic comes up at least every other day for me, and is unavoidable in a college environment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be careful what you wish for.

To become the #1 computer, I think Apple would have to make a LOT of compromises to the lowest common denominator that I think would ultimately hurt them. The King of the Hill is always under attack, you know?

No, I think I like them about where they are now ... incredibly influential and pioneering, still willing to take risks, very customer-focused, not worrying about making Wall Street happy.
There does not necessarily have to be compromise but I can see that being something that might happen because right now in the pc world amd is about to go under we could say that intel will mark there prices way up and slow development right down but they may not. The other thing is the king of the hill is under attack but look at M*cro*o*t it took what 20 year before there were even signs of them going downhill and the thing is apple is a lot stonger. Apples product have all been great from the start of OS 7 now to OS 10 has the really been a unuseable version look at w*nd*ws 95 sucked, 98 slow 2000 was decent Me don’t get me started about ME, Xp so error ridden on some software, Vista if you don’t see something wrong with it well I think you must be special and 7 I have used after the first month it slows right down.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I went with Mac because:

I wanted the power and flexibility of Unix without losing the ability to do the usual user stuff like editing movies and photo's and burning/ripping DVD's etc. I know you can do all that with Linux, but the last distro I tried (Fedora 10) some of those things were cumbersome to setup and I see no point in wasting my time to set it up when I can get it out of the box.

I'm a tinkerer and wanted to try a new OS.

Macs look cool and I have money to spend. I bought a 23 inch cinema display as a second monitor for my iMac. It isn't anything special compared to other brands, but man the aluminum case and design look wicked.

I don't particularly dislike Windows. In fact I really like XP Pro and Windows 7. I generally don't have too many problems, although there are small annoyances that drive me nuts. Then again, I've had my share of annoyances with OS X too.

At the end of the day, they're just computers. Tools of my trade. Did I mention how cool they look?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
In the business I am in, I get asked the question quite a bit. The answer that usually gets that knowing, understanding smile in response is:

"I've known plenty of users who have switched from Windows to a Mac, but I don't know anyone who has willingly switched from a Mac to Windows."

There are many things that we might experience in life that we think, "why didn't I try this before?" That seems to be the response from most people after they have switched to a Mac and had the time to get to know it.

·
Registered
60 Posts

In the future, I'm hoping to get a mac (iMac) because of the many reasons stated by WestWeb. Especially the part about being tired of applying patches, Virus scans and other updates (to my many PC/XT platforms) on a weekly basis.

I just want a internet/email/multimedia computer tool and "use it". Use it for the reasons it was built for. If wondering, I would have bought an iMac 21.5" this Christmas but didn't have enough cash. (very sad).

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
For the record the early PPC era was a dark one indeed for the MacWorld. It wasn't until the G3 chips started to ship (and the iMac) that things really began to look up for the bright side.

Apple did however learn from that mid-nineties debacle. When the MacIntel switch came the new computers were not overpriced, warehouse loads of older computers did not flood the market and most importantly the transitional software problems were relatively minor compared to the days of OS 8.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
For the record the early PPC era was a dark one indeed for the MacWorld. It wasn't until the G3 chips started to ship (and the iMac) that things really began to look up for the bright side.

Apple did however learn from that mid-nineties debacle. When the MacIntel switch came the new computers were not overpriced, warehouse loads of older computers did not flood the market and most importantly the transitional software problems were relatively minor compared to the days of OS 8.
I agree, the mid 90's were sad.

I disagree that it was the G3 chips. It was more about Steve Jobs return and them slashing the entire product line. During the mid 90's it was Performa, Quadra, Centris, LC, and Power Macintosh. One of the first things after the return of Steve Jobs was the slashing of the confusing number of lines. It became a consumer desktop, a consumer laptop, a pro desktop, and a pro laptop.

The iMac was the first one out of the shoot and it became the consumer desktop, and started the turnaround. Apple Stores followed, along with the the iPod and Apple became the Apple that we know today.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I disagree that it was the G3 chips. It was more about Steve Jobs return and them slashing the entire product line. During the mid 90's it was Performa, Quadra, Centris, LC, and Power Macintosh. One of the first things after the return of Steve Jobs was the slashing of the confusing number of lines. It became a consumer desktop, a consumer laptop, a pro desktop, and a pro laptop.

The iMac was the first one out of the shoot and it became the consumer desktop, and started the turnaround. Apple Stores followed, along with the the iPod and Apple became the Apple that we know today.
And let's not forget Steve "killed the clones". I remember being a little pissed off because I had been jonesing for a new Power Computing Mac in the MacWarehouse catalog, then suddenly they were gone. This was preinternet for me and I had no idea what happened, but it worked out okay. I held off and bought a shiny new bondi beauty instead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've heard the same thing from other people who've switched over to Macs. Even my fiance is thrilled with her new Mac laptop that I got her for Christmas and, after we moved all her files over, she's so happy with the performance that she's eager to get rid of her Dell desktop and laptop. (Taking offers if anyone is interested :D )

I promote Macs to anyone who talks computers. Sure they take a little getting used to, but my fiance is already doing spreadsheets in a matter of a single week using iWorks! PC can't make claim to that stat!

Watching the new Windows 7 commercials makes me realize that all the features they are putting on display, Mac already has. I joke that the fast start-up of Windows 7 may be great, but that's where it gets stuck at. Or the easy connectivity to wireless printers and making of a home network is already a standard feature on Macs. I know that there is one tongue-in-cheek commercial about PC vsApple laptop quality on Youtube, just wondering if there were anymore in response to the latest PC advertising campaign.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts