Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Time machine, but with a Nas (synology).

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
I am curious how everyone backs up their Mac.
I use Carbon Copy Cloner and do a weekly cloned bootable backup alternating between two external spinner hard drives.

I used to do it daily but my backup needs are far less these days, especially being well into my retirement years. 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
peek-a-boo
17,330 Posts
I used to use superduper, I switched to using CCC last few years. I also have Dropbox for backups and mostly sharing huge audio files. I manually backup my audio folder everyday to 2 externals, I need to find a way to have that happen automatically but that can’t occur while recording (drive speed) it needs to be a press of a button thing.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
This is not for everyone, but it does does allow for the fastest possible OS restore by separating OS and data back-up.

I am old school and my back ups start with how I lay out my main drive. Once I have the OS and apps up and tested I clone to a secondary drive. I then make a read only disk image of the main drive using CCC or SuperDuper. That disk image is then installed and tested on a second secondary drive using the 'sudo asr' command in Terminal.

Once I know I have a good image, I go back to the main drive and partition it. One partition for the OS a second for data. There needs to be a good deal of surplus space on the OS partition to allow for scratch disk, updates and new software.

At this point I can as needed back up just the OS by booting from a secondary drive and creating a disk image. Multiple asrDisk Images can be stored in the same location, so I still have previous back-ups should the latest prove corrupt. Do it immediately before allowing any updates to run. Files are backed up to alternating drives monthly using a simple drag and drop. Files used daily are backed up daily, again with a simple drag and drop, but to a different drive. With this one I just let the files overwrite their predecessor. All sounds rather messy but I can completely erase and reinstall the OS partition in under 10 minutes should circumstances demand it, and without worrying about whether my files are intact.

Only caution is to be aware of the need to back-up contacts, and bookmarks in all user accounts. iTunes or whatever this weeks name is needs to have its library on that secondary partition as well, ditto any photo-managing software. Big advantage to me is that by disabling permissions on the Data partition, wife and I both have easy access to music and image files without all the hoop jumping or cloud dependence normally required. If there is anything we want to hide from each other it is easy enough to create a small password protected disk image for that purpose.

FWIW I have found with multiple partitions it is best to entirely disable Spotlight. Every thing runs faster and much more cleanly and there are far superior search apps that do not require continuous indexing of various drive partitions. YMMV

Reactions: Vader101

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
I no longer back up: everything is in the cloud

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
I need to find a way to have that happen automatically but that can’t occur while recording (drive speed) it needs to be a press of a button thing.
How about in Carbon Copy Cloner setting the backup task to when the backup Drive is connected. Not quite the same as pressing a button but pretty darn close.

If that wouldn't work, I'm sure Automator could be set up and configured to back up at the press of a button or two.

Here's a list of possible suggestions:

And maybe here:

- Patrick
=======

·
peek-a-boo
17,330 Posts
thx though Ive already googled these options. My needs are bit more complicated than that, so I'll have to look at some pro options down the line when I get some time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I use Time Machine for local backup and it's always worked well for me. I also occasionally use Super Duper to make an image, especially before an OS upgrade.

For online backups I use (and highly recommend) Arq. It's quality Mac-native software that gives you the choice of backing up to almost any online storage solution. Lots of options to customize the backup to your needs. It's a gem!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts