Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
I'm a recent switcher, using a brand-new, enormous Toshiba Tecra (1.5 gHz Centrino) laptop at work and a brand-new 12" G4 iBook at home.

I just got upgraded at work though -- previous PoS Toshiba Sattelite laptop was driving me nuts. Not entirely happy with the Tecra, but it's a huge improvement; it starts up in under 5 minutes (instead 20) and it consistantly shuts down when I tell it to.

Still not quite so speedy as my iBook, but sufficient.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'll tell you, my ThinkPad is no day at the beach. Due to our enterprsie network being brought to it's knees this past summer with the Blaster worm, etc. all corporate machines are required to have McAfee Anti-virus and ZoneAlarm on them now. Great, now it takes 10 minutes to get to the annoying part after I log in where Wondows insists on updating Windows Media Player even though I have never asked it to. Nor will it let me tell it not to.

Now I remember why I switched.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I am a DELL user at work and an Apple user at home.
At work, compatibility with everything is paramount - no limitation is acceptable. We are well protected from Windows upgrades, bugs and viruses alike by our IT department. DELL provides excellent warranty repair service. Only downside is having to work with the clunky Windows interface day after day.
At home I am a lonely Mac user - no family members or friends that I am in contact with use Macs. I am fanatical about Mac superiority at home. I actually enjoy fixing computer problems, but since getting a Mac I've realized that I enjoy using my computer creatively much more - and it's more respectable to actually be productive, even at home! I know a lot of Windows households need an IT department
Poor souls. I still take pity on them from time to time.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I have an old Pentium II 400 at work and Macs at home.

To be honest, I think both platforms work reasonably well. We have corporate virus protection at work so that helps to avoid most of the problems.
Primary uses are Excel, email, Word and some specialty Windows software at work.

I have commonized my browser and email by using Mozilla. The interface is more or less the same on the Mac and PC. Microsoft Office is also compatible on both.

I'm using OS9 on the Macs and Win98 at work. The main advantage over Windows is the the minimal virus problem and the easy backups (just drag your whole system and copy it). Unfortunately, OSX has lost that backup convenience.

·
Registered
449 Posts
A couple of answers from me. I have a 8600.300 PPC at home for email, web, some Photoshop, scanning, iTunes 1.0, older apps running OS9.1. works for me, especially since I come home to relax after work.

Work gives me a Compaq 1Ghz P3, 20G HD, 512Ram which was fast enough when new 2 years ago. Running PSP 6.0 and Illustrator 9.0 for image and graphics work as well as the usual MS Office apps.

Then I resurrected an old G3 266 AIO with 4G HD, maxed the RAM to 768 and "added" my own PSP 7.0 and other apps running in OS 9.2.2.

This machine blew away the "Windoze" box when I had a large print job to do. The Compaq would always crash when trying to work on the huge PhotoShoP file I had. The AIO chugged away and always allowed me to complete my work.

As a result of my success, a new dual boot, Dual Proc 1.25 G4 with 1G Ram, 80G HD plus 120G External HD, Superdrive, self installed 52X iTunes compatible Pioneer CDRW plus 17 " Apple Studio display now sits on my desk. The AIO is not yet retired.

Although I'm working in OS 10.2.8 and all is well, I don't see the move to Panther as being critical at this point. But then I didn't think moving from OS9 to OSX was all that urgent either. Now I rarely go to OS9 unless the specific app I need requires that I boot into it. Usually FCP 2.0 which still does the job for my needs.

Both the CompaQ and the G4 are tools I use for the specific apps or programs they work best in. But I am always drawn to the Mac for ease of use whatever the program.

With the Unix underpinnings, can "computer convergence" between the Apple and MS operating systems be foreseen within our lifetime?

I would look forward to it.

P.S. watched the entire keynote on the Mac no problem. Logged on at 9:50 MDT and it kicked in on it's own at 10 a.m. Was concerned with possible firewall and streaming issues sometimes manifesting themselves but my luck held.

Plus, no Blaster or other virii to worry about like the other Windoze office machines I use or have access to. So Sweet :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I work in IT in downtown TO. We are forced to use crappy HP Vectras while at home I use an iBook G4. The amount of grief at work is beyond belief. Viruses, patches, Microsoft "Updates", spam etc etc etc. Management keeps screaming why there are so many problem and so much downtime. They keep saying "We never had these many problems when we had Macs." I just have to bite my tongue and not say "You answered your own question you FOOLS!!!!"

We have people installing crap on their PCs like screensavers, P2P software, unauthorized software. And when they uninstall they just drag the folder to the Recycle Bin. Not the right way but of course this was how they did it on the Macs.

I am so glad I have my mac at home. It keeps me sane. I want to use the computer not fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I'm on whatever the top-of-the-line P4 is these days. Yup...yer tax dollars hard at work.

Man, dontch just love the federal government? ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Pentium III 450 at work.
Pismo 500 at home and work, I take my Pismo to work and connect it to the network and forget about the Win box.

·
Registered
214 Posts
At school I have to use Pentium (1!) PCs running Windows NT. The OS is incredibly ugly and frustrating. We have some PIIIs with Windows 2000 that are little better. I can't imagine why the school board switched over from Macs a few years ago.

We do have Macs in school, but they're all in the Cyberarts/Computer Graphics lab, and students who aren't enrolled in the program aren't allowed to use them. When will people realize that Macs are good for much more that graphics?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Pentium III at work - Win 98, currently moving to XP - work in local govt. & "must" have PCs to be compatible with prov. govt. downloads... iMac O/S9.1 at home - been mac at home since mid-80s & wouldn't give it up for anything! Not just for graphics - music, spreadsheet, use MS (ugh) Office both places, prefer it on mac, of course - email & internet - fortunately have a pretty sizable community of mac-users here in this tiny town, & all of us are more than happy with our choice, as we see all around us prone to bugs & viruses, while we cruise through unscathed...even though my computers at work do OK, & I'm fairly savvy, I still need to call in IT help all too often, while at home I do it all myself. Can't beat it!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I am a ThinkPad user at work and a G4 400 user at home. My G4 is about 4-5 years old and performs much faster and more efficiently than my 1 1/2 year old ThinkPad. There has only been one occasion were the ThinkPad and Microsoft has surprised me. I was trying to work on a video that was Muxed. I looked into how to demux it but did not have to. Believe it or not, Movie Maker took the clip in, sound and all, with no problems. Now editing was another story. I have been thinking about getting a powerbook and using VPC for work but the cost does add up. :( I would even have support from our IT dept. They are quite open to differnt platforms where I work.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Yep....Dual HP Xeon work station here at work but flat screen iMac at home. Although the Xeon smokes the iMac, it sucks because I have to run stinking windoze 2000....so bad

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was using a PC at work and my G4 MDD at home. I was actually getting used to it and then it got a virus! I then realized that the people at work had no virus protection installed on anything in their network :eek: :eek:

Took me two days to clean the virus off and it still never worked the same! I got offered a better job and quit that place two days later as they weren't paying me enough to have to deal with all of their crappy equipment related problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Windoze P-something? at work, but funny that's where I first was exposed to Macs SE30's in the late 80's. By '95 they traded them all in for the other brand.

Our IT department has a real prejudice against Mac, nothing but put downs. I had a problem when trying to gain access to the companies server when I was at home using my G3 powerbook. The Exploiter software was constantly coming up to a security certificate error that wouldn't go away. The guy's inIT said it was because I was using a Mac.

Well I thought I'd try another option so I activated Netscape at home and tried to gain access that way. The same error appear but this time Netscape walked me through approving the security certificate from the server at work. This is soemthing that Exploiter never gave me the option of doing.

I haven't had the trouble again using Netscape but Exploiter is still troublesome. So it goes to show that Windoze is a cheap imitation of all types of real equipment.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Athlon thing at work, Dual 2Ghz G5 at home.

The G5 is a dream - so fast and capable, smooth and quiet; Panther is great. This rig never breaks a sweat no matter what I'm doing, no matter how many applications I have running simultaneously. Very stable and problem-free.

The Athlon box under my desk at work is hot, and very noisy. WinXP manages to annoy the hell out of me several times a day - and I can't stand the "Luna" look; I switched it to the Classic appearance. Applications crash a couple of times a week (mostly buggy ol' WordPerfect), and "Search" is particularly awful. Every time I run Windows Update I lose some system preferences, usually window and/or folder view settings. On and on, and bla bla blaaa.

So nice to get back home every evening. My G5 is like a precise, perfect haiku, intelligent beyond words - while the Athlon/WinXP contraption is like a million lines of the worst doggerel verse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts