Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss is ready to kill his BlackBerry because his Calendar won't sync with iCal (It just sits there saying its syncing, but it doesn't, even after 20 mins of sititng there) so he is telling me to look for alternatives.

Telus offers the Palm Treo 700p Smartphone, but Palms website touts the Treo 650 Smartphone as the "natural extension of your Mac" on their site. Is the 650 that different from the 700p? Will the 700p sync with a Macs iCal and Address Book?

Also, for Palm users, what do you think of the Treo and your Mac?

·
Registered
368 Posts
As long as you stick with the Palm OS series (ie, the "p") suffix, you should be fine. You'll definitely want to check out "The Missing Sync" for Palm, however, in order to provide the best overall sync experience. It's far better than anything that OS X can do for you natively.

If your boss is using an Exchange server on the back-end, you might also want to try going about it the other way, and syncing iCal to Exchange, and then letting Exchange populate his Blackberry. This was the method I used when I had a Blackberry, and it worked very well. The trick to these is to go pick up the Groupcal application to sync iCal with the Exchange server. You can find the latest version of Groupcal over at Snerdware.

If you're not using an Exchange server on the back end (or something else that uses a Blackberry Enterprise Server), the Blackberry really isn't all it's cracked up to be (as he has discovered, I'm sure), and there are much better solutions out there, including the Palm 700p that you're looking at, as well as the Nokia E-series devices like the E62 and E90 (although the E90 is a bit pricey, it's a great device for good phone features, push e-mail integration, and totally seamless Mac compatibility via iSync -- the E62 is just as good in this regard, but it's hampered by being a bit on the slow side, to the point that somebody who is used to a Blackberry might find it a bit frustrating).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Easy solution, Pocketmac Blackberry. And it's free. I use it everyday and have been for a year now.

www.pocketmac.com

My boss is ready to kill his BlackBerry because his Calendar won't sync with iCal (It just sits there saying its syncing, but it doesn't, even after 20 mins of sititng there) so he is telling me to look for alternatives.

Telus offers the Palm Treo 700p Smartphone, but Palms website touts the Treo 650 Smartphone as the "natural extension of your Mac" on their site. Is the 650 that different from the 700p? Will the 700p sync with a Macs iCal and Address Book?

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Easy solution, Pocketmac Blackberry. And it's free. I use it everyday and have been for a year now.

PocketMac - The Original Mac-to-Pocket PC Sync Solution(TM)
Alas, that is what we are using and it rufuses to sync the Calendar. I had the same problem with the last place I worked at, out of 12 BBs only 7 would sync properly (2 wouldnt even show up as connected). Hence looking for soemthing else, a new BB MAY fix the problem, but we cant be sure.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, the folks over at Markspace also make "The Missing Sync for Blackberry" now, so you might want to give that a try.

I doubt the problem is the Blackberry itself, as I never had any reliability with the PocketMac solution, and I moved off of the Blackberry before The Missing Sync was released for it. I have heard good feedback from others, however.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using PocketMac for Blackberry with several BBs over the years, even before RIM bought the software. It worked great with the 7100, the 8700 and today with the 8800. Have not tried the Curve. The 8100 Pearl was a complete nightmare. Rarely showed as connected, syncing seemed to be happening and never did, screwed up databases, the whole deal. Since using the latest software and the 8800 all is golden again. Our firm does use a BES so my sync is set to sync the BB calendar to iCal and to sync Address Book from the Mac. Each sync item is individually configurable, but if you have a BES you need to disable wireless sync for each item where you want the Mac to be the originating source. If no BES, not a problem.

I had used the Treo 650 with the Missing Sync software and it was problematic at best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
809 Posts

You might like to know that Palm is dropping Mac support.
PalmSource Drops Mac Synchronization in Cobalt

BTW: I have had nothing but bad experiences with PocketMac, and nothing but *good* experience with Missing Sync from Mark/Space.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
The current gen Palm devices are dead end devices. Palm will release a new Linux Based OS, and you won't be able to update your existing device to it. Personally, I think Palm is dead once the rest of the world gets the iPhone, but that's just my opinion.

You may also want to look into the Nokia e61, e61i or e62. They sync with the Mac via iSync and BlueTooth. No third party software required, which is VERY nice and makes it future proof. I have the e61, and I love it. Just be aware you can't sync notes, but it does sync full address contacts with photos, and iCal seemlessly both ways. The web browser is best in class (after the iPhone of course) because it's based on webcore, the rendering engine used in Safari. The e61 and e61i even have wifi, so you can surf the web and check mail without incurring expensive data fees.

I was a Palm fan since the first model of PDA was released in 1996 and have owned 6 Palm PDAs in total. I got pissed off by their **** poor Mac support over the years (even using Missing Sync) and the lack of OS upgradeability. They force you to buy a new device to get the simplest new features. The OS is archaic by today's standards. I was glad to finally be rid of my last Palm for good. They just plain suck.

Edit: Funny, the forum censored the word p-i-s-s, but not pissed...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was a Palm fan since the first model of PDA was released in 1996 and have owned 6 Palm PDAs in total....
You sound like you've taken much the same route I have, although I spent about a year moving on and off Blackberry devices as well before settling on the E62 and now the E90.

I second all of the above on the Nokia e-series devices. The E62 was terrific in that regard, and the E90 is just an absolute dream device in terms of features and functionality (although it unfortunately has a price to match).

As I understand it, the E61 and E61i are a bit faster than the E62 in terms of performance, so you might want to consider these as an option, even though they're not directly sold or supported by any Canadian carriers, you should be able to get an unlocked unit in the $500 price range.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, Missing Sync wont sync his calendar either!!! However, it does offer a log file that I sent to their Tech Support to try and figure out the problem once and for all!!

If not, I guess he will get a Palm hehe

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
You sound like you've taken much the same route I have, although I spent about a year moving on and off Blackberry devices as well before settling on the E62 and now the E90.
Did the BlackBerry as well. I bought a 7290. Biggest mistake ever for personal use. Was fun for about a month. Was tempted by the Pearl, but then I got the e61, and it'll keep me happy until the iPhone is available in Canada.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
My friend has a Pearl she uses for personal use and she loves it, makes fun of my Treo but I love it besides the fact that antenna broke off, oops, heehee. Using my old Nokia 6620 which is painfully slow and doesn't support EDGE which is also a bit slow but bearable. I hope my new Treo antenna gets in soon.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I love my new BB Curve. Although I don't use iCal.

Going off topic here, although I like the design of Mail, Address Book and iCal, I don't like the fact that Apple doesn't integrate the three Apps into one. I like opening one app (like Entourage) and have everything I need. Maybe support fro BB and Palm would be easier if they just had to worry about one app instead of 3 to maintain. Or perhaps iSinc is at fault? Dunno.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, Missing Sync wont sync his calendar either!!! However, it does offer a log file that I sent to their Tech Support to try and figure out the problem once and for all!!

If not, I guess he will get a Palm hehe
Something isn't set up right then.. I've been using a 650 with Missing Sync, first with a Pismo, then a QuickSilver and now a G5, running from 10.2 up to 10.4, and it works fairly well. You will have some serious issues when syncing the Palm to two different computers though.

-10d

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I love my new BB Curve. Although I don't use iCal.

Going off topic here, although I like the design of Mail, Address Book and iCal, I don't like the fact that Apple doesn't integrate the three Apps into one. I like opening one app (like Entourage) and have everything I need. Maybe support fro BB and Palm would be easier if they just had to worry about one app instead of 3 to maintain. Or perhaps iSinc is at fault? Dunno.
Blame the device developer. iSync provides everything the developer needs to be able to sync with Address Book and iCal. Poor Mac support is to blame, not any issue with Address Book, iCal and Mail being separate apps. Funny thing is, they are separate apps, but yet they are better integrated than most all in one apps.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I don't know much about either platform (BB vs. Palm,) but my Dad is a small-business IT guy, and he installed a bunch of Treos last year that he is constantly cursing. This is in a Windows Server environment, but nonetheless, I think he wishes we went the Blackberry route.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Blame the device developer. iSync provides everything the developer needs to be able to sync with Address Book and iCal. Poor Mac support is to blame, not any issue with Address Book, iCal and Mail being separate apps. Funny thing is, they are separate apps, but yet they are better integrated than most all in one apps.
I just want to see everything in one window and one app instead of three windows and three processes running at the same time. Not knocking the software, just knocking the visual integration. I know they communicate well with each other but again, i prefer visual integration and simplicity. I know others' that share the same preference and use Entourage instead. Entourage is ok but I absolutely love using Outlook 2007. Windows version of Office to me is untouchable as far as visual and behind the scene integration. But, you gotta shell out $500 to have it. Hopefully Office 2008 will be very similar. iWork/iCal/AdBk/Mail are untouchable quality/features for their price - $80/preload. Again, i'm venturing off thread topic, sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts