Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
It's an entertainling story but I can't say I've got a lot of sympathy for the guy. In the first place he was actually defrauding eBay. It's a big no-no to list things and then take tham down after arranging a private sale (which is exactly what he did).

If it had been a legitimately completed eBay sale he would have had fraud protection available to him.

The second dumb thing was the COD. I've done lots of buying and selling on eBay and I never, ever trust someone with a new eBay username (which this guy must have had) or negative feedback. There's no way I'd ship something to someone COD, even if FedEx was handling the exchange. I'd be very suspicious if someone was unwilling to send the money in advance (to a vendor with a spotless feedback rating) which is exactly how 99% of all eBay transactions work.

You can significantly reduce your risks of getting burned on eBay (as a buyer) by always dealing with high feedback vendors and (as a seller) by waiting to have the money in hand before shipping (PayPal is great for this), cancelling bids from people with negative feedback ratings and insisting that new eBayers email you before bidding.

Oh and also by not trying to scam the system.

·
Registered
933 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dibenga:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
[qb]If it had been a legitimately completed eBay sale he would have had fraud protection available to him.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your Naiveté is astounding... fraud Protection is a joke. It's only there to give the false impression of security. With Ebaying you are truely at the mercy of the seller/buyer's sence of decency.

I have only been defrauded once and it was a lost cause. Pretty good since I've used Ebay for years.

_F[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, I neglected to put "limited" in front of that phrase but it has no bearing on my primary point that he essentially defrauded eBay out of over $100 by engaging in running a list-and-delete auction.

Clearly there is no comparison to the magnitude of what was perpetrated on him but what he did was also fraud, pure and simple.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.