Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Mac adapter to connect my Power Mac 7500
to an old PC monitor, but I don"t know how to set the switches. It has 8 of them. Can anyone help?
I am a relativly new bee, and New at computers, Mac only. I retired a couple years ago, and had to have a hobby, as you may notice I'm new at this typing stuff to.
I read EhMac all the time, learn a lot ,and enjoy the banter.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
or with a little bit of time, u could just use trial and error

8 switches = 256 combinations, each switch can be ON or OFF.

i am sure u will find one you can use rather quickly.

i bet you get done in less than one hour.

just have a small headed flat screwdriver on hand to move the switches.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It would really help if you can determine a make & model of the adapter. Anything written on it or a good description may help.

What the switches do is change resolution and refresh settings. However, there is some danger involved; set the switches to some settings the monitor doesn't support and you can permanently screw the monitor. I know, I've done it.

So, I would suggest a little research before you play around too much, and post back with whatever extra info you can give.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
w2hoot,

I think what you have might be the Sony MacView adapter... I used one with my old Powerbook 160 to connect to an even older PC VGA monitor.

The DIN switches need to be placed in the correct on/off setting to match up with the refresh rate (hertz) of the external monitor.

Mine had a little chart embedded on the backside of the adapter (the DIN switches were under a pop-off aluminum cap).

Just did a google search, and nothing came up that is useful... :(

M

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
sometimes a little 'brute force' computing is necessary.

just try all the combinations and write down your results.

u can then put a label on the adapter and indicate the settings for various resolutions.

if it were me i would have been done by now - i would just think of it as a fun project - put on a little Louis Armstrong and get that little screwdriver popping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got another adapter, no switches , works great. $10.00 well spent, and didn't blow my moniter.
The adapter I have just says MAC ADAPTER on one side and 8 switches on the other, no other numbers .15 pins.
Thanks for all your sugestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts