Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm a switcher...I'd like to know...Is it a good or bad idea to partake in this 60 day .mac trial offer? This may sound like a stupid question, but here is what I'm thinking.

It seems any time I've signed up for trial things in the past on my pc that something always ends up getting screwed up. The program won't uninstall...they mess up my account and end up charging me twice...they wipe out my information and I end up having to redo stuff....

Get my drift?

Anybody else tried out this 60day trial? How'd it go?

·
Registered
656 Posts
it's nothing like that. feel free to take advantage of the free .mac account. there's nothing really to install/uninstall.

it's kinda funny, when you think about it. i switched about a year or so ago, and installing/uninstalling programs is so cool on the mac. hardly ever are you gonna see a "setup wizard."

just drag the program into your "applications" folder. that's it. to uninstall, just toss it in the garbage.

.mac doesn't have anything like that, though. try it and see if it's worth it. if not, then i believe it's gonna say that it's expired and not let you login anymore.

how's the PB? have you tried the ambient light thing that's on your keyboard yet?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have it yet :( Tomorrow...tomorrow. It's like I'm a kid before Christmas morning...lol I'm gonna wait up for santa claus ;) lol

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
The "trials and tribulations" of the Windows world are not as evident in the Mac world.

Not to say they aren't there, but there is some protection in the fact that you're using technology that only 5-10% of the PC world uses.

For more info. see "viruses"

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Indeed, the .mac trial is harmless, in that it doesn't install anything on the computer. You just put in your credentials and info and voila, you have a 60-day trial for dotmac.

You don't need credit card information for the free trial. Only if you actually subscribe.

I still feel it's a bit pricey, but so far the extras have made it worth it.

I have received the offer of free prints (through iPhoto use and dotmac) free games (Freeverse 7-in-one) and a couple of others like Alchemy and Super Nisqualy, DropStuff, Virex Software (for the day a virus is actually made that would affect OS X I guess) and a host of nifty perks. All of which have more than made up for the hefty price.

Many of these perks were not advertised, in the sense that they came along at different times during the year.

As well, you can get special deals on software and participate in neat little contests (okay, some of the contests, some were restricted to the US, dammit)

All in all, the $100 is a steep price, but looking at the extras, it's rather well worth it. Just in shareware games alone I think it paid for itself.

Another nice touch is the inexpensive way you can tack on email addresses. Up to 10 more. Each address is about $10 US a year, which comes out to about a loonie a month.

So, after my long-winded response... Is dotmac right for you? Take the trial for a spin and see. It won't cost you anything.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the responses guys! I'll give it a try! (as soon as my powerbook gets here...*grumble grumble grumble*) lol

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
You might want to use it just as one of the easiest ways of transferring your old emails over from your PC. This is what I did, back when it was called iTools. Just configure Outlook Express or whatever to use the .Mac IMAP account and copy all your emails to the Inbox on the IMAP server. Then connect to that IMAP account on the 17"er, and drag all those emails from INBOX under the .Mac mail account to INBOX under "On My Mac". After that you can remove the .Mac email account and forget it ever existed if you like.
If you want some formal instructions for this, see www.apple.com/switch - it is there somewhere.

P.S. do the same thing for "Sent Messages" or whatever.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome Elmer! I was wondering what the easiest way was! I guess I can do that for all my files too? What is the max storage that .mac allows?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
For files you might use the iDisk - it's 100MB, but if you have a CD burner or an ethernet cable they would be your best bet for files. Files are not a big deal unless you have to convert them.

The email thing is a really great thing for switchers like us; no exporting and importing. I guess you don't really need .Mac to do this though, any IMAP email should work, right? For example, http://www.saintmail.com/ has a 30-day trial if you don't mind using a Christian site, and there are probably others.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Back again! Also wanted to mention that a Windows iPod should also work for casual file transfers, since Mac supports FAT filesystem on whole drives even though it doesn't support FAT on a partition. Plus I think you can use Windows Update to convert a Mac iPod to a Windows iPod.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Is dot mac worth it? Three words: deductible business expense

|
|
|
|
|
V

(CCRA note: provided that you can demonstrate evident use of the service in the running of your business!) ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok Elmer (Michael) it seems like you have quite a few good suggestions to help me out. Here's my setup...maybe you could tell me what would work best.

I've got:

-a PC running windows XP (with an NTFS file system)
-shaw cable internet and network hub
-my 17" powerbook
-airport extreme base station
-20gig ipod for mac (but hasn't been used, turned on or configured yet)
-I will be signing up for the .mac trial when I get my powerbook plugged in and running ($100 isn't an issue at this point so I will be buying it eventually).

I need to transfer all of my email files (hotmail and shaw accounts) as well as my personal files (some I will archive on cd, but others like mp3's and PC files that the mac can read I want to transfer over to my mac as well as some software files)

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If you need to archive your PC data, then by all means burn your data to CD. Otherwise, I would recommend firing it over the network. Connecting your PowerBook to XP ought to be easy as pie (I did so with WinME (cursed be its name), so it can only get easier with your set-up).

By the way, I found the link on Apple's site that explains how you can do this via dot mac (to me, this seems like the long way versus sending via network...but to each his/her own)

http://www.apple.com/switch/howto/mailbox.html

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Patrick!

I suppose that the network WOULD be the easiest way. I guess I was just worried that it would be tough to set up the network, or that files may become corrupt?

How did you set up this network? Do you have the wireless airport? Would this cause me any difficulty?

edit: thanks for that link Patrick. I've been so busy with school I haven't had the chance to research how to switch everything over. Apple sure has made it easy with switchers and their whole "how to switch" section
I'll read that thouroughly and I'm sure it will answer all my questions

(p.s. so the trial version of .Mac allows you all the privilages of a full membership?)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Yep - if you have the two computers you are transferring to/from in close proximity to one another (which should never be a problem if you have a laptop), my vote is for the network. If you have a hub, great, if not, an ethernet cable will do, you don't even need a crossover with the new powerbooks.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yup, i've got a hub. Just have to figure out how to set it up with the airport base station. shouldn't be too difficult...as long as I have enough cables ;) lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.