Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. New to this forum. Having a problem with my Mac overheating after about 1 1/2 hrs. use. My warranty's expired and I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to opening or replacing anything inside a Mac but am more than willing to learn.

I'd definitely appreciate any possibly helpful technical solutions to this problem (as well as a redirect to any similar postings on this site). If my Mac's fan absolutely has to be replaced, how much does that generally cost and any recommendations to a west-west-end Toronto/Mississauga certified shop known for its great customer service?

·
Premium Member
17,859 Posts
We really need to know which Mac you own. MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After the hour and a half (sometimes it doesn't make it that long depending on what I'm doing) but I get the colour wheel of death and the back left portion of my iMac is super hot, like fry an egg on your comp hot. I'm definitely not an expert, but I feel like it shouldn't be that temperature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems to be clean, however that's just from inspecting it from the back - i'm not brave enough to just open my iMac up. Would you recommend hitting it with compressed air? Or does that risk moving potential dust buildup on the inside to places it should not go?

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
Have you begun to use a certain program / something new that may be driving your graphics card particularly hard? My MacBookPro normally runs warm, but firing up certain apps sends the back-left corner into the red zone.

It's possible that you have an app or process running wild, leading to his issue. What apps do you tend to have running when this is the case?

Next time you get that spinning wheel of death and the heat, fire up Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities) and check CPU usage. Something software-wise is likely gone kablooey.

Also let us know your version of OS X :)

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
A hardware problem is more likely: the hot spot (back centre/left is where the power supply is seated. Most probably a blocked fan, which may well be the case at the age of 7. Or indeed a blocked air inlet.
A 2007 iMac could be tricky to take apart for newbies. The screen cable is easily damaged. So better leave it to pros.
Unblocking the air inlet with compressed air is the only thing you could try first, Will. Can't do much damage, all components inside are sealed, or can take a lot of dust. Overheating because of blocked vent can do a lot more damage.

·
Premium Member
16,139 Posts
I can't recommend using smcFanControl and it has been known for goofing up a lot of Macs, besides being unreliable, especially with iMacs.

I, and several local users also often had 2007 iMacs that ran way too hot and it was resolved by installing Fan Control, and even though old, it still works well.
Fan Control for Mac | MacUpdate

I'd uninstall smcFanControl and also do a SMC Reset. Don't skip doing so.
And then after a shutdown/restart see if it runs cooler and if not, then install and setup the Fan Control Pref Pane for the various fan's speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Well, pm-r, you've got me now! Never heard of Fan Control, or thought it was the same as SMC Fan Control! Thanks for the tip!
Not that I've used it, though, just monitor through iStat Pro. Never gone critical.
Edit: having read the link:
For safety, it leaves the original automatic fan speed control intact.
That is where it differs from smc FanControl, it seems. The latter overrides. Seems like a dangerous bug if you use it without extreme prejudice.
Are you sure Fan Control is still Mav compatible? It seems quite old, and may even be the predecessor of smcFanControl for all I know...

·
Premium Member
16,139 Posts
Well hexdiy, I found the various Mac "fan controls" to be quite confusing some years ago when I really needed one for our hot running 2007 24" iMac, as most were meant for laptops and then I discovered the "Fan Control" I mentioned, and to confuse things, there were some others with the same name.

They are all from different developers and if one needs a more modern version there's Macs Fan Control which I haven't used but the comments says it works well and with mavericks:
Macs Fan Control for Mac | MacUpdate
Macs Fan Control - control fans of any Mac & Boot Camp! | CRYSTALIDEA Software

Oddly I needed to use the Fan Control with 10.6.8 on both our 24" late 2007 and 27" late 2011 iMac, but not when running 10.9.x on the 27" iMac. But I am using iStat Menus "Active Set" to boost the speed with 10.9.x on the 27" iMac but it doesn't always seem to do anything and needs to be reset often, especially after a restart or clean boot.

If one quits using a fan control pref pane, a SMC Reset should be done on the Mac to get the fans back to "normal", which is mentioned in their FAQ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.