Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about software needed to record my trusted LPs to a Mac but they all sound like overkill: I am not interested in removing clicks & pops (I actually find them quite cute), but I would like to transfer my *best* music to a more transportable format.

So, what is the best way to turn vinyl into iTunes 4? My ideal scenario would be a jack cable from the preamp to the PowerBook, but is that too simple?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
There are a few out there. If you do a little search over @ VersionTracker, you may find some hot ones. I thought that New Macs were shippipng with some sound app, but I went looking and I don't see it any longer. But for Mac OSX there are tons of apps. I d/l'ed Spark ME a few weeks ago, but then got my hands on Peak LE (from Bias ) as they will alow me to encode MP3. My man - who works in the audio s/w field - told me that PEAK LE will support AAC, not sure whether it will encode. Anyhow, lots to pick from dude. Have fun.

Go Thierry Henri!!

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
You may also need some hardware depending on whether you have mic-in). If you do, then the Griffin iMic is pretty good and you can download Final Vinyl from their site (it only works with iMic). FV encodes into AIFF or WAVE. You can then compress to AAC with QuickTime 6.2 or above.

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody. This gives me a good range of solutions which I will try out a bit later this month (one my Mac has been fixed).

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts