Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to do some work with Microsoft Publisher, a Windows-only DTP application, and that got me thinking - is there anything similar on the Mac? I mean, forget Adobe InDesign and QuarkXPress - they are high-priced professional tools. Publisher 2002 only costs around $100 US. Is it possible to get anywhere close to the features of Publisher for anywhere close to the price on the Mac? Preferably OS X native?

I think we can rule AppleWorks 6 out of the race. It's a fine suite of low-end tools, but it can't hold a candle to the features of Publisher, which is a real DTP program.

Right now, if someone came to me for advice on publishing a 20 page monthly newsletter on an OS X iMac, with a budget of $200 for software, I'd tell them to find an old copy of PageMaker 4.x or 5.x on eBay and run it in Classic. Anyone have any better ideas?

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
Have you looked into Adobe Photoshop Elements? I hear it pretty user friendly for DTP application sort of like a Photoshot Lite... Goes for $99 US for a full single user license, not to sure about CDN pricing.

Finch

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm concerned about DTP as a whole - Photoshop Elements is a great solution for editing the photos that go into a newsletter, but it would be kind of hard to use for laying out the entire newsletter.

There used to be several lower-end page layout apps - Ready-Set-Go and Aldus Home Publisher for example, but they are long gone. How do people who want to lay out newsletters and books in OS X on the cheap manage? If they have to rely on lame tools like Microsoft Word X or AppleWorks, we're in trouble.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
599 Posts
How about Ragtime? I've never used this program so I can't say how good it is. having read a review it sounds like this software can do many things well but is not inthe same "pro" category as Quark/Indesign and possibly Pagemaker

check it out here

http://www.ragtime-online.com/

EDIT: You need to download Ragtime Solo - this is the free version

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Low End DTP apps can certainly meet your modest needs.... the crux of the problem is always output...

If your newsletter or what ever is printed in house, you can use anything you want that will get the job done....

If you are using an outside service bureau or pass files to other users, it gets a bit tricky. Not impossible, but compatibility becomes a dominating factor.

The advantage to Quark/Indesign is that just about anyone in the business can use your files with minimal problem. The more obscure the low end application you use, the less likely your chances of finding service.

Corel, MS Publisher, ect suffer not only in comparison to Quark in terms of abilities and features, but because for many service bureaus, it is not economically feasible to support all software programs and platforms...

I have worked for and with many companies who open limit themselves to Mac Quark/Illustrator/Photoshop and since they don't run out of clients - have no problem refusing other file formats... {or they charge a conversion fee}.

This practice generates howls of complaints from designers who want to be catered to but.... business is business...

All that being said, You can use what ever suits you and gets you where you need to be...

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hey now, don't go slaggin' AppleWorks!

I used that thing for years (as ClarisWorks), doing layout on our 16-page organizational newsletter ( REAL low-end DTP! :D )

It does text-flow across multiple pages via text boxes, layering of elements, etc. etc.

Some of the cool stuff is far from evident, but it is far more robust than many people give it credit for.

Plus, with OSX, all output is can be PDF, so the whole accessibility issue is out the window.

Besides, any day now Apple will be releasing their new iOffice suite, and AppleWorks will rule again!

:cool:
M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts