Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac today in Barrie. All I can think of right now is HOW DAMN FAST IT IS!!! Whew!

First take:

Setup was way too easy -- it's an Apple. I haven't received my Airport Extreme card yet, but there was ZERO configuration for my Linksys router.

I upped the ram to 768MB. Everything opens in a blink. iCal used to be OH SO SLOW opening on an iBook 500 and 800 -- sitting and waiting as it chugged to load or resize the window -- it's very fluid on the dual as one would expect. I swear I saw framerates of 90 in iTunes (high quality). WOW.

It came with 10.2.3, FULL iLife (iPhoto 2, iMovie 3, and iDVD 3 even though I've only got the base combo model). Only needed 10.2.4 update along with G4 Power Mac firmware and iMovie 3.0.1 updates. 3 pieces of media came included in the box -- Power Mac G4 software install and restore DVD, Apple's hardware test cd and a blank cd-r. I used to have an iBook and was annoyed with it's wide assortment of cds for installation. Thank you Apple for furthering the ease of use of your products:)

Noise ain't to bad either -- it's an FW800 model. It's comparable to most desktops I'd say.

All for now. SUPREMELY VAST improvement over my old 800MHz iBook -- to be expected obviously. Great machine for long term.

I know that others on this board have new dualys -- how do you like them?

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
You stole my thunder Tomac. My jaw dropped when I saw the performance improvements over my iMac. I figure this thing will satisfy me for at least five years. Sweet.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

Received my DP867 & 17" Studio Display back in November and lovin' them ever since - previous machine was an upgraded 9600/G4/400. The difference is nothing short of astounding. Dual processors and OS X are the perfect union.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Hey, y'all are making those of us who have to work around them every day but cant afford to buy them jealous! oh wait, that is just me....

--PB

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm going to be ordering my Dual 1.25ghz with superdrive today. It'll be my first Mac. It's going to cost $4000 but it sounds like it will be worth it.

I sometimes wonder if I should get a 12' PwerBook or maybe a 17" iMac but then I think that the Power Mac will last way longer bewcasue of all the expandibility options.

Do you guys think 512mb is enough to get started with? I can't afford to go to a 1gb right now but maybe in a couple of months. But I'm not really sure what ram to get in terms of manufacturer. Can I use PC ram or is it just safer to go to a Mac retailer?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jb22:
I sometimes wonder if I should get a 12' PwerBook or maybe a 17" iMac but then I think that the Power Mac will last way longer bewcasue of all the expandibility options.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't forget, Firewire, USB and wireless protocols still give you a lot of expandability. But if you're talking about being able to upgrade the video card, I wholeheartedly agree.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Bjornbro wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I figure this thing will satisfy me for at least five years <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Longer than some marriages....
2. You're too easily sated....
3. Bet it doesn't.... 2008!

For a guy with a 20 gb iPod, I reckon you'll be lusting after a new PowerMac 970 in approximately 15 months... My half life for new Mac lust is about 12 months

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I sometimes wonder if I should get a 12' PwerBook or maybe a 17" iMac but then I think that the Power Mac will last way longer bewcasue of all the expandibility options.

Do you guys think 512mb is enough to get started with? I can't afford to go to a 1gb right now but maybe in a couple of months. But I'm not really sure what ram to get in terms of manufacturer. Can I use PC ram or is it just safer to go to a Mac retailer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some reasons why I ended up with a Power Mac:

Those were the exact same Macs that I was pondering over before I bought the dual. I used to have an 800 MHz iBook so I liked how the new 12" Pow' had the G4 and aluminum casing. Not enough horse power for long term -- I realized I didn't even need portability. Why waste money on portability one doesn't need?

The 17" iMac was interesting because it includes that fat 17" screen, small footprint and SuperDrive for cheap. Having multiple screen options with a Power Mac -- screen sizes such as a 20" or 20" Apple LCD -- is much better for peace of mind. The Power Mac will also let you drive a second display while the iMac just mirrors itself -- I believe there are hacks, not sure. The single 1GHz chip IS NOT ENOUGH for long term. I'd rather have 1500 more MHz in a Power Mac for a tad more coin than the iMac. Faster architecture -- L3 cache, dual processors -- and FUTURE EXPANSION do apply to the iMacs. Two processors = extra oomph when needed -- nice reserve. I'll be drooling when the 970s come 'round though; still, that's one more reason to buy the most powerful machine one can now. Accessories and such can be added later to a Power Mac, but not on an iMac. I could only afford the combo Power Mac, but I bought it knowing that it's possible to add a SuperDrive down the road. Just like two processors, two drives is better than one -- easier for burning.

The best, cheapest place to buy the 333MHz DDR PC2700 ram would be from crucial.com. It seems to be dropping in price every week now -- now at $89.99 for 512MB (CT6464Z335). Shipping's $13-15 US and I shelled out around $30 to Fed Ex when it arrived -- duties and what not. WAY better deal than anywhere else, still. It scares me how Apple can charge $400 for each 512MB of ram one adds to their Power Mac online.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the tip about crucial.com. I think I'm making the right choice with the Power Mac, although the iMac display sure is nice.

About the memory from Crucial, how much is the cost after shipping and duty fees? I know that it's $137 CA but that doesn't include other costs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ram + cdn tax (15% ON) + shipping ($12US) + duties ($30CDN (on 1 512mb ram chip)-- the courier requires this when you receive the package) = much cheaper than anywhere else. I received the ram TWO days after ordering -- that's darn quick.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
You might try sending Canada RAM an email. Their latest posted prices aren't cheaper than this, but it's worth getting their daily price by email and comparing. I have ordered from them RAM for a PC laptop and for a PowerMac and had no problems with it.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jb22:
Do you guys think 512mb is enough to get started with? I can't afford to go to a 1gb right now but maybe in a couple of months. But I'm not really sure what ram to get in terms of manufacturer. Can I use PC ram or is it just safer to go to a Mac retailer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

512MB should be enough to get you started.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Welcome to the Dual 1.25 brotherhood. Your secret handshake is on the way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts