Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I sit today all hung over, I've finally had enough of the loud bong when my tower starts up.

Anyone know how to stop it other than disconnecting the internal speaker?

My head thanks you in advance

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Yeah, lower your system volume before shutting down.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you are not adverse to Applescript and shell scripts there is a nice solution for you on MacOSXHints.com. What this hint will do for you is automatically mute the sound as your computer shuts down and then automatically bring the volume back up after login. Look ma, no hands!

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031005165919533

If you are adverse to scripting, you should try it out, tons of fun! Oh, and these ones are easy so a neophyte should be able to just cut 'n paste from the hint and get it together in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would just change the bong water, myself. That might help.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
With a tower running OSX, hit the mute button on the keyboard just before you shut down. You only have to do it once, and you'll never hear it again, unless you use the KB mute again for some reason.

Everything else works fine.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It might be worthwhile to note that even with the startup muted (or external speakers plugged in) if your newer (OSX compatible) Mac has a hardware problem, the internal speaker will still send the series of beeps that (kind of) help you diagnose the problem.

That's why disabling the internal speaker is not a good solution.

Most users have never heard them, and thats A Good Thing.

The startup chime was originally a hardware diagnostic tool; with older hardware instead of the dimminished 7th chord which represents a "pass" you would hear each note of the chord played in series, representing a "fail". (Bad memory is the most common cause). Newer Macs use a different system, so the chime is redundant now.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Reset the PRAM. That is , restart holding the "Apple+Option+P+R" keys. Hold these keys till you hear the bong at least 3 times. The loud bong usually occurs after you have booted in OS9, then rebooted in X.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts