Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgraded to El Capitan from Snow Leopard
Ended up with a new version of Skype, version 8.12.0.14 which is supposedly the latest one

But I lost all my contacts.
How do I get them back?

I was reading that the contact list is maintained on the Skype servers, but if that is true, they are not linked to the updated Skype account.

Are they stored on the Mac somewhere?
Is there any way to retrieve them?

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts
Upgraded to El Capitan from Snow Leopard
Ended up with a new version of Skype, version 8.12.0.14 which is supposedly the latest one

But I lost all my contacts.
How do I get them back?

I was reading that the contact list is maintained on the Skype servers, but if that is true, they are not linked to the updated Skype account.

Are they stored on the Mac somewhere?
Is there any way to retrieve them?
Hopefully you maintained a clone of the Snow Leopard Volume on a secondary drive. You can boot from there and if needed find a way to save ad transfer the Skype contact list.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a clone of the Snow Leopard volume - actually a few from different dates, but unfortunately that didn't help any.

Somehow I ended up with two Skype accounts and then either I or the Skype software kept getting confused with the passwords.
There are a few discussions about that on google - as I understand it, Microsoft will no longer let you use your original skype account but forces you to use your Microsoft account for skype.
Problem is that I don't have a Microsoft account so they force you to create one to continue to use Skype and ast that point everything goes downhill.

When I try to log into my old skype account on the 10.6 OS, I get either "Can't Connect, please try later" or if I try via email it comes up with "Can't verify the email address now, please try later"

Eventually I came across this to transfer contacts from the old skype skype account to the new one
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA...er-contacts-from-one-skype-account-to-another

The number of steps and the log in, log out of the two accounts is ridiculous.
The garbage Microsoft comes up with is just unbelievable.

I already spent a good portion of my afternoon on this - I think I have another go at it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I am surprised that your contact list is not stored in the cloud with Skype. Do you have to add your contacts on each device you log into your Skype account with? Are you able to log in to your Skype account via the skype website? Nothing there?

Probably a dumb question but you sure you are logged into the right account?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts